RB Acl

As long as he doesn’t swing the KB into his knee, things should be okay. I would just make sure he is always supervised during those exercises to maximize safety.

I forgot to add that, from a tonic strength training perspective, we emphasize sub-max yielding work (lowering the weight slowly) on the leg press, squats, and hamstring exercises until balance between the two limbs is re-attained and no favoring occurs on the field based drill mechanics

We did that type of work the first 7-8 weeks in Hypertrophy Block. He worked up to 10-12 plates for 15-20reps.

I will share this with our trainers, we have people who come in 3-4 days per week and perform massages on our guys.

By four months, even in the most conservative circumstances, the athletes are doing everything in a stable environment. All that’s left is a gradual process into full contact training.

I had one kid running at 8 weeks, but most are around 10-12 weeks.

We do the sub max eccentrics too that James mentioned, as I got that from Buddy, overloading the contralateral side to achieve cross-education until we can load the injured limb, and then putting the brakes on the strong side until the weak side catches up.

As it’s a 9 month process in most cases, everything is slow cooked.

Wasn’t suggesting you ask for advice. I think he has some unique perspectives and he works with some pretty knowledgeable people. Maybe you could ask his thoughts or not.

Well, he just started running on the unweighted treadmill with a 30% reduction in bw - he’s using a similar protocol that the Pats used with Welker.

At four months (assuming post op, not post injury), that seems very slow progress compared to what I have seen before.

But I’m sure the surgeon has reasons.

Good luck, you won’t go too far wrong by taking it slow.

Yep, I’m talking about post op. The injury happen first week of camp, I believe he had surgery late Aug - so let’s call 3.5 months post op.

My guy may have some serious comp:

//youtu.be/ZNTp6dnZLBI

“Right now it’s down to Rutgers State, North Carolina, Penn State, Wisconsin, Florida, Georgia, Stanford, Notre Dame and Miami,” Huggins says.

Could you be more specific as to how you implement this?

Any single limb exercise can be used, the load is sub max, so all reps are unassisted, and the eccentric is 6 seconds long.

Loading is planned as it would be in normal circumstances.

Once the injured side can be loaded, we no longer aim to progress the contralateral side, and rather “wait” for the injured side to catch up.

Do you find that you run into issues with muscle tone in that contralateral limb, since the tension is held for so long?

Have you encountered any situations where the athlete has developed a different/further imbalance because of the training done to that contralateral limb?

Acutely? Absolutely none compared to traditional weight training.

One of the coaches ran into problems. However, on reflection, the choice of exercises weren’t appropriate (reverse hyper), and this athlete was out for a long, long time. He was training like this for a year or more. I think the longest I used this was maybe 12 weeks. Also, this athlete is a complete freak, so he had significant hypertrophy one side of his lumbar erectors in no time, which eventually led to some back pain.

Didn’t delay his return or anything, but caused a mild problem that cleared once we offloaded his LB.

Did 275 for a easy set of 8 and 365 for a very easy single. Big squat day - 9 working sets… Injured Aug 9, surgery Aug 19 - 16 weeks and 1 day post op…

May be putting my program to the test again, number 1 outside lb in 2011 draft has a partial torn acl. He will have surgery soon, any chance he can workout for scouts in mid april?

Being rated that high there’s no need for him to workout and risk something happening.

4months is way too short to expect to perform any of the change of direction field work at high intensity. Best case scenario is that a 40 might be doable; however he wouldn’t even be remotely close to PR level because that would require that he initiate the sprint training in February at the latest.

Play it safe, his stock is too high to risk anything. the film and interviews should secure his status.

He’s able to run now but they decided surgery would be the best option for his future. After the surgery process we will look at his options, I think it would help if he’s able to do something in late April because his SR season wasn’t the strongest. We will attack the upper body and healthy leg hard while keeping him lean and mobility high - may use some max strength ems along the way.

Some people recommended ARP:

http://www.arpwaveclinic.com/xacl/index_m.html

The ARP people heavily overstate its benefits. Do it the right way - get surgery, rehab properly through the appropriate progressions, etc. While the Pulsed DC current used with ARP can be helpful, it ain’t no miracle cure.