Randy Couture at the NFL Combine

There is so much money to be made off young guys who have hopes of making it into the league. Unfortunately, only a few trainers know how to develop an athlete right, such as, Joe Defranco.

and where did he learn his stuff from…:slight_smile:

although he does seem to get good results some of his stuff imo is questionable, with too much emphasis on MaxS.

Its the NFL, I’m not too sure that emphasizing MxS is a bad thing, especially for the linemen and linebackers.

No point in doing tons of max strength with Nfl players. I had the chance to work with a nfl DE last year and we did zero max strength. I had to sell him on doing 1/2 squats.

I think there are many ways to prep athletes, with no single system being good for all athletes. I am a big believer in being strong, fast, and flexible. My kid’s do a WSB 531 type variation. It’s hard to do block periodization as the coaches at the schools have their own agenda. I like conjugate because it allows for me to make rapid improvements in many areas in a short period of time. As far as Joe D goes, he has a strong record of success so I think it is difficult to argue with waht he does. MMA training for football is about as intelligent as Mike Barwis is at designing workouts. I train a KOTC world champion MMA fighter. What I do with him and football guys is so drastically different, it’s hard to imagine finding any cros over short of hand fighting along the line of scrimmage. It’s football, so what exactly does Randy have to offer? I imagine not much for a football player. That’s just my opinion. Totally different energy system requirement.

You can do anything with great athletes, shit Chad Johnson did boxing all last offseason and had one of his best seasons. I can throw a bunch of high school athletes in a corner and have them do pushups, situps, jumping jacks for 4months and I’m sure there performance will improve. Tell Mr. Allen that MMA training doesn’t help his performance.

With the same line of thinking, driving cars for Topgear tv Format helped Usain Bolt to run 19"19…

Jay Glazer’s explanation of their program will make you sick. He was all over sports talk radio last fall bragging that 90 percent of the athletes quit after the first day, and that Jared Allen and Matt Leinart are the only two athletes to survive the progarm. It basically sounded like a barwish type of think of stupid crap to make an athlete puke program. A complete opposite of a Francis or Thinker program.

Yes …their luck is to have gifted athlete, in a not-absolute performance sport…should understand that if people quit in 1 day,is also a damage for the coach 's income!!

I absolutely agree. Certainly it must be catered to positional requirements.

My thinking was considering combine training, more sspecifically the 40 yard dash. Lots of MaxS and dynamic methods. He also, appears to place the weights as the primary training means of getting faster. But then again, it is hard to speculate considering i do not know every detail of his program, only observations from his website and a powerpoint from his training with miles austin.

one thing about it, Jared allen already has the:

size
strength
speed

that a great NFL d-end has. Now he’s just fine-tuning his upper level skills. To transform a High school or collegiate player, MMA training is probably counter productive.

JA says running hills is boring, yet, they apparently helped get him to the nfl!

Non sense, I suppose the 8x400, and 10xgassers are the secrets to transforming hs athletes.

you apparently misunderstood me. He used running hills as an example of his previous training. If he had said, “I got tired of all that weightlifting and running” Would you have said, “Yeah, weightlifting and running isn’t as effective as people think.”

?

My point is MMA training isn’t any worse then what most SC programs are doing esp at the hs level with workouts such as 30x110’s etc.

Do you train in MMA or train any fighters? I boxed competitively for 11 years as an amateur. I trained in Kyokushin karate for years as well as dabbling in jiu jitsu. I love all of it. I will say this though. To be properly prepared for fighting is about as far from football as you can get. You need a healthy dose of muscular endurance to compete in fighting sports. Much more than you need for football. Brock Lesnar had to change his training drastically since his try out with the Vikings. I have seen very few football players who could go one round in MMA with out being spent. Conversely, I doubt many MMA guys could even hold their own in D2 college football. It is following the same idiotic path that Barwis has been using at Michigan. Look at his results. Football is mostly alatic. MMA is lactic/aerobic. In a perfect world it might work, but I personally think its a bad idea. Take a really good high school football team and 11 Navy Seals. Play football, and I will put my money on the high school kids. The qualities that make you good at one sport don’t necessarily translate to another.

Shit i’ll take big east championships etc. When I played high school football in texas we had a 4-6 weeks of boot camp training every year marching around the school, crawling through the mud, mat drills, squat, bp, clean, mil press for 30sec as fast as possible etc.

I agree with Speedcoach.

I wonder how boxer James Toney will do in the Octagon. Very interested to see how he fares:

Boxing superstar James Toney hounded and hunted Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White, looking for a chance to compete in the Octagon. It appears he’s going to get his wish.

A champion in six different weight classes who has taken on the likes of Evander Holyfield, Roy Jones Jr., Hasim Rahman and John Ruiz, ‘Lights Out’ Toney has signed a multi-fight contract with UFC, the company announced Wednesday.

“A lot of pro boxers have made a lot of noise about how they would do in mixed martial arts, but nobody on the level of a James Toney has been willing to back up his talk,” said White.

“He’s a legend whose boxing record speaks for itself, and he’s a guy who I’ve got a lot of respect for.

“Now he’s got every intention of matching that success in MMA, and I think he’s got the right attitude. Let’s see if he can do it.”

No date has been set for Toney’s debut, with the company saying only Toney will compete “later this year.” It’s also not known the weight class in which Toney will compete, although he hasn’t weighed less than 219 pounds for a fight since 2003; fighters above 205 pounds compete as heavyweights in MMA.

Toney, 41, had publicly postured for a UFC contract, attending several UFC events in recent months at which he tried to talk White into signing him.

Though Toney has legitimate fighting credentials, the news still came as a mild surprise to many in the MMA world. White has vehemently spoken out against aging athletes — including former baseball star Jose Canseco and ex-football standout Herschel Walker — turning the sport into a “freak show.”

Canseco was panned universally after losing in just 1:17 to 7-foot-2 Hong Man Choi at DREAM 9 last May in Yokohama, Japan. Walker, on the other hand, spend weeks training with the highly-regarded team at American Kickboxing Academy before winning his debut versus Greg Nagy on a Strikeforce card on Jan. 30.

“Listen, let me tell you what: I got blasted this week? Let me make this fight (with Toney),” White said in January following UFC 108 in Las Vegas, one of the events at which Toney confronted White.

“That will get me fing blasted. I’m the first guy out there going, ‘This is a fing freak show. Who would put on a fight like this?’ I’m the first guy that would say that. I’m always saying it when freak shows happen.”

Toney has a 72-6-3 (2 NC) record as a pro and was twice named fighter of the year by both the Boxing Writers Association of America and Ring Magazine.

After going 31-2 as an amateur, Toney turned pro in 1988. He has held titles as a middleweight (160 pounds), super middleweight (168 pounds), light heavyweight (175 pounds), cruiserweight (190 pounds), super cruiserweight (210 pounds) and heavyweight (210 pounds and up), although only his championships in the middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight divisions are considered major titles.

Toney, who hasn’t had a significant title shot since challenging Rahman for the WBC heavyweight crown in March 2006, currently holds the IBA and WBO NABO heavyweight titles.

He has tested positive for steroids twice in his career: after beating John Ruiz in a WBA heavyweight title match in April 2005, and again after beating Danny Batchelder in May 2007.

Toney is arguably the most high-profile boxer to make the jump to MMA. Roy Jones Jr. has long made intones about taking on a top mixed-martial-arts fighter but never found an opponent. Former WBO heavyweight champion and Olympic gold medallist Ray Mercer fought Kimbo Slice in an pro-exhibition in 2007, and beat ex-UFC heavyweight champ Tim Sylvia via knockout in nine seconds last June.

Number 2, my buddy went to high school with him in Ann Arbor and said he was the QB of the football team and just a tough dude in general. These guys have to be careful with him. Boxers are so much more efficient strikers than the usual slop you see in MMA. I laughed when Anderson Silva said he wanted to box Roy Jones. As over the hill as Roy is, he would trash Silva in a boxing match. Toney will likely get taken down and defeated by submission. But you got to walk through hell to get to those legs. RB34, I know plenty of coaches practice this kind of training, but why? I believe Charlie said “Punitive workouts are the tools by which morons define themselves.” JUst because people make it through something doesn’t make them better at what they do. When I was a senior in high school, I played RB at about 185 lbs. After FB season, I would drop to 165 for boxing. A couple of coaches came to our school and they basically said, if you want to get recruited. Stop boxing and start lifting. I pounded weights putting on about 40 lbs in 6 months. I was a monster on the gridiron, but I couldn’t last one 3 min rd in the ring. One is almost strictly a power sport, the other further towards endurance end. I just don’t see any benefit other than hand fighting on the inside line play. Like I said, that’s my opinion. Everyone is free to do what they want.

Toney’s quality days were a long time ago. He’s still a good fighter, but he’s older, slower, heavier, and I doubt he can do anything to defend the take downs. I hope he does well though.

You are likely correct. Even diminished, he would probably win stand up against many fighters. Problem with boxers is the are comfortable in a clinch, close to their opponent. It’s like a rest. In MMA, could be a horrible for you to clinch. Rampage slams come to mind. It like I said, put Naderson Silva in a boxing ring with Roy Jones and it would be a joke. Conversely, put Roy in a cage and I doubt it would take Silva 3 mins to finish the fight. The problem I see with the whole Couture is it trains everything that is counter intuitive to football. I still believe football is an impact game, and therefore, weight training helps you hold up longer. I look at when Reggie Bush did that bullshit Free Flo Do all off season and he had his worst year performance and injury wise. I have my guys stick to weights, short speed, and flexibility.