Race Segment Improvement Question

First I just want to say that the CFTS is awesome because I’m able to train each segment of the race at maximal velocity (e.g, 4x30, E/F/E, SE-2).

Ok, now, as far as the 100m is concerned, by using the CFTS I have figured out my weak spot of the race! It’s the 40-70 meter segment of the race.

I say this because for the first time of my life I have been putting this E/F/E to use and when I hit the fast part I feel like such an amateur! For example, my mind does not go into automatic “you know what to do” mode, my mechanics break down (such as my head flings back and I start to strain).

So my question is, do you guys have any recomendations to help me get better at this segment of the race other then keep praticing? Anybody have any tips?

you can prepare segments separately but you need to race relaxed throughout. If you push too hard, you’ll mess up as you go into the top speed section (ie 40 to 70) Read through Speed Trap if you have it for a good description of race execution.

It’s been a while since reading Speed Trap, do anyone know which chapters focus on race execution?

Thanks, and yea, I think that’s the problem, I’m impatient and I have a hard time waiting for the race to come to me.

I have another question:

When I run the speed endurance workout with incomplete recoveries, say, 4x60m 4x60 with 20m intensity limit as per short to long, how do I know when it’s time to stop the workout all together being that I run these with incomplete recovery’s?

Also, do I try and run up to the proscribed limit at 95%+ even though I feel fatigued? So for example, a workout of 4x60, 4x60 with 20 meter intensity limit do I basically run all the 20m runs at 95%?!

Bump… Bump

Forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but if you are only accelerating out to 20m and holding that speed (especially if you are accelerating at 95% of your max) you shouldn’t be able to get too close to even 90% of your true max speed. I am thinking this workout is one of the CNS depth vs. breadth issues that Charlie talks about.

I do these as 4x4x50m with not much rest early in GPP and fatigue and my coach has always told me that this fatigue is a normal part of the early GPP workouts. We usually rest very little between reps, and a couple of minutes between sets early on. How long are you resting between sets?

I’m sure someone senior will weigh in with the solution.

Thanks. Yea, I just wanted to get an idea that I was doing this right.

As far as breaks, I take about 2 minutes between each rep and about 5-7 minutes between each set.