Protein Intake

Creatine - 2500 cases of side effects and 79 deaths have been documented.

http://www.isobelkleinman.com/Creatine.html

If there was a link convincing me personally of the negative/deadly effects of creatine, this isn’t one of them.

can you provide some substance to these 2500 cases and 79 deaths? The article only mentioned the wrestlers as known deaths- and that has already been questioned.

argue all you want about if its benficial, but creatine hasnt killed anyone

I, too, would love to see some documentation proving that creatine caused these deaths and all of those purported side effects.

I have always felt that there is no way man would have continued to exist if creatine were such a health hazard. This given the suggested regular consumption amounts of various animal protein sources that our ancestors were said to have engaged in.

Can it, like so many other foods/supplements, be taken to the extreme to cause problems? Of course.

Article from strength and condtioning journal. Does not even mention death in their section on side effects of creatine use.

http://www.excelsiorsports.com/files/Creatine_Controversy.pdf

My last post was obviously a BAD LINK

http://www.usgyms.net/creatine.htm

I seen nothing in that link to provide any proof of the “2500 cases of side effects and 79 deaths that have been documented.” Where are all of these studies available?

Much of the material from that link appears to provide only conjecture/guesses.

I didn’t write the article, simply posted it, thought some would have a larf.

I have used creatine as well as coach athletes who have used it, we all got stronger and looked more athletic, unfortunately no one improved by any great amount so no longer use it.

If I was asked for the best way to describe it I would call it male makeup, makes you look good and will not smudge with sweat or on rainy days.
:slight_smile:

i remember reading something about “false strength gains” somewhere about creatine… what exactly would this mean?

It probably meant you lose the strength you gained while on it when you stop taking it.

Im not positive, but I don’t think that happened to me. If anything, going off of it may make your next gains more difficult, making you become a little dependent on it.

Creatine has never been directly implicated in any deaths of healthy individuals. Go on pub med and follow peer reviewed studies, not some anecdotal crap on the web. I remember the one wrestler dying(U of M) and they tried to say it was creatine in the press. They never mentioned that the kid did extensive cutting in rubber suits in a sauna. He died of cardiac arrest likely from electrolyte imbalance. I think whey protein or BCAA along with some form of carbohydrate(dextrose, maltodextrin, or vitargo being preferred choices) are imperative post workout if you want to recover quicker. I do think many athletes over eat protein. Most well fed athletes(carbs, fats, and calories) don’t need to over indilge protein due to fat and carb being protein sparing. In times of carb and calorie restriction, upping protein is necessary. For your dad, go on pub med and you will see hundreds of university based, peer reviewed studies talking about decreased DOMS and enhanced recovery. Good luck.

I meant indulge

If your dad is worried about it just tell him you are going to eat raw stake instead - a couple of grams of creatine and 25g of protein! Job done.

it is irrefutable that creatine works. i think creatine is the most beneficial supplement to enhance speed and power based on firsthand experience. and about the false gains, i’ve never lost gains that i made on creatine once i stopped taking it.

thanks for the input guys, ill check out that pub med thing. i was thinking about doing creatine over the summer, and i probably will

im only 17 and my body isnt very mature yet, does this change the circumstances for using creatine at all?

I don’t see a problem with a 15 year old taking creatine. Make sure you know what you are doing. Drink plenty of water and don’t abuse it.
I started taking creatine in eighth grade when I was 14 years old so I don’t see a problem with you taking it. But don’t think that it will magically make you stronger. It helps you by giving you a greater ability to train. It doesn’t help you on its own. With out the extra training that it will allow you to do, you won’t have greater gains than you would have without taking it.
I noticed immediate gains when I started taking it. My bench went up 10 pounds in a week. I feel like creatine has allowed me to make more consistent progress over the years. I used it all of my ninth grade year when I was 15 and my bench went from 185 to 265. I’m not saying that was all because of creatine, but it definitely helped…I took it all year.

False gains would mean you gained something that you wouldn’t have gained without using creatine. It also means that once you quit taking creatine you won’t be able to do what you could while you were taking it. I disagree with the second statement.

Probably worthwhile just training for a year or two first as you will get stronger all the time as you grow anyway. No creatine works if you are 17 or 70 - it’s just not a priority for someone your age.