Practical Session 1: Basic Running Mechanics

As with my first review of session 2, session 1 is another great one. I enjoyed these two for the main fact that as a coach, I see many different errors. In a video with perfect form, it has its palce, but I would like to see how to correct mistakes. This is the beauty of the practical session videos, particularly 1 and 2.

The video starts out with a few athletes doing easy strides. Charlie is focusing on their arm action.

He then explains what he sees and then cues each athletes specifically. There are tips about hand position, hand height, and arm swing. As each athlete performs more reps, you see the improvements they make within the session.

They then perform several repetitions of the line drill, briefly shown in the GPP. Here goes into more detail with real time corrections from the group of athletes. There is also mention of proper knee height and how it effects stride. Also is lifting knees too early and how that is not good.

After seeing the line drill done, I know realize the importance of using it with developing athletes and have immediately put it into part of our warm-up now.

Charlie is found even running along side the athletes at one point! :cool:

The entire group then performs an arm action drill and goes into how to use the line to help with this element.

I felt this was another good demonstration from several examples and how to fix the problems. A very valuable resource for coaches to have. :cool::cool:

Nice review, and I agree. I just sat back and let my daughter soak in the film and she noticed right away even a couple of things she was doing wrong. I try to let her find the problems, or make make questions so that she figures out the problem, instead of pointing them out directly, that is, unless needed.
She seems to pick things up faster if she notices them first.

Again, great review

Rick

Esti is a smart man. He gets it when it comes to speed. He understands CFTS as well as anyone I have ever met.

I enjoyed it, like all CF products…just 1 question…isn’t it shot in south africa?
Because i saw some football players in the backgorund!( american football…)

All of the practical videos were shot in Vancouver between 2002 and 2004. It is part of the collection of raw footage i’ve shot over the many years we conducted seminars and workshops. As Charlie was not able to shoot any practical footage in the Fall of 2009, I thought it was a good use of the footage.

Excellent use! It’s always great to watch Charlie in action.

Excellent!!!
I hope there will be hundreds of hours of such footage! ( Simon Frasier University?I think I saw in the hurdles).
Charlie had grreat style in the line drill!!

Both Practical Session reviews helped me to invest in these products and was certainly worth the outlay. Many familiar faces in these clips as well!

Glad to have helped you! :cool:

Same, these are great products and literally like being at a practical seminar.

Charlie did have that unique quality in these sessions didn’t he? It’s a shame that the Jones/Montgomery material is not available.

C’est la vie.

from an interest point of view yes but lets face it how many people here will coach people at that level? The good thing about these, and other practical vids, is that the athletes are representative of the norm.

Absolutely correct.

Having been behind the camera at both the shooting of these videos and the sessions with Tim and Marion, I can say that Charlie’s approach and content did not change. In many cases, Charlie was teaching highly talented athletes most of the same fundamentals that he would teach sub-elite and developing athletes.

You would be shocked at how little many elite athletes know about what they should be doing biomechanically, as well as how their workouts should be planned out and sequenced.

Obviously, the big differences was the result on the stop watch when he pressed the “stop” button.

With the elite athletes, Charlie’s genius presented itself in the form of:

• Top notch physical therapy before and after workouts.
  • An unmatched eye for detail during any movement, particularly the high speed movements that would not be picked up by 99.9% of all other elite coaches.
  • The ability to think on his feet during workouts and change the work to match the circumstances in order to elicit the best response, while minimizing risk.
  • The proper cues to elicit the optimal response in any athlete.
  • The confidence and experience to stop a workout when he saw fit, regardless of what was planned for the day.
  • A sense of humor and the ability to not take himself too seriously.
  • The ability to see endless potential in anyone he worked with, and the ability to communicate this feeling to the athlete and build their confidence.

Key points there from No2. I’ve just purchased all the videos and will report back once I’ve had a chance to watch them.

I like this a lot. Even more.

I admit to being confused, is this product the same as https://angelacoon.myshopify.com/products/south-africa-series-practical-session-1-basic-running-mechanics ? I ask as there is a comment elsewhere about an ankling drill being in the SA practical video’s but the one I have doesn’t and appears to be filmed in Canada.

I continue to think about this as a possibility. I think it would be very interesting as well.

Are you looking to see an example of the ankling drill?

that would be good but it was also the confusion over the Practical Session video. It appears there was one released for a short time from footage from Canada that is no longer available and has been replaced by the South Africa series, is that correct?