Pfaff & Evely to UK

Tuesday, June 30th, 2009

Canada’s Evely, American Pfaff scooped up by British team ahead of 2012

TORONTO - The last thing Derek Evely told UK Athletics officials at a London airport hotel before boarding a plane back home was that he’d have to mull over their job offer to coach in England.

He and his wife were having trouble selling their Edmonton house, which had been on the market for two years already.

“I got on the plane, I went to sleep, plane landed in Edmonton, I woke up, checked my voicemail and it had sold while I was in the air,” Evely said. “I thought: somebody’s trying to tell me something.”

Evely, the coach of the Edmonton sprint group that includes world championship bronze medallist Tyler Christopher, was named director of a new high performance centre at Loughborough University on Tuesday as the British team gears up for the 2012 London Olympics.

Veteran U.S. sprint coach Dan Pfaff, who guided Canada’s Donovan Bailey to 100-metre gold at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, was named head of a second London 2012 high performance centre at Lee Valley.

“If we want the UK to lead the world at the elite end of our sport, then we must have world leaders in key positions,” UK Athletics head coach Charles van Commenee said in a release. “Dan Pfaff and Derek Evely certainly fit that criteria.”

Evely follows his friend and Christopher’s former coach, Kevin Tyler, to Britain as part of an exodus of Canadian coaches ahead of the 2012 Olympics.

UK Athletics hired Tyler in January as their strategic head of coaching and development.

Triathlon coach Joel Filliol, who guided Victoria’s Simon Whitfield to a silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Games, was hired as Britain’s head triathlon coach, while Peter Eriksson, who helped wheelchair racer Chantal Petitclerc to five gold medals at the Paralympics in Beijing, was also scooped up by the British.

“They’re not messing around,” Evely said.

The former decathlete said the fact he’d be working with Pfaff and Tyler made is decision to leave for Britain an easy one.

“I’m really happy in my position in Edmonton, but I feel this is a better move for me professionally and for my family,” he said. "It’s not always about money either, it’s about the people I’m working with, I’ve got a proven record with Kevin, Dan’s a very good friend of me.

“And my god, it’s about being in a senior management position going into a home Olympics. It’s an awesome experience and I feel like it’s as challenging as it can get.”

Evely and Tyler have been friends for 25 years, going back to when they competed together at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C. Evely’s been friends with Pfaff for about 15 years, since the American coach recruited Canadian sprinter Shane Niemi to Texas.

Evely’s new job begins Sept. 7.

Until then, he’ll continue to coach the Edmonton athletes, including Adam Kunkel, the Canadian record-holder in the 400-metre hurdles and rising 400 runner Carline Muir, through the remainder of the outdoor season, which includes the world track and field championships in Berlin.

While Canada has lost several talented coaches to the British program over the past few months, Evely said Athletics Canada can’t be blamed for their loss.

“A lot of people would point their fingers at AC, but I don’t think that’s fair at all. I think it’s way above that, I think it’s the culture of sport,” he said.

"If you want to succeed at the highest level (in Canada), you’re your own support system in a lot of ways.

“We end up with these coaches that rise above, do really well and they get picked up. When you get to the top, there’s really not a lot out there for you.”

Pfaff leaves his position at the U.S. Olympic Track and Field Training Centre in Chula Vista, Calif. Pfaff has coached 33 Olympians to seven Games medals, including Bailey’s gold.

Wow! The UK is approaching the point of having more good coaches than they have good athletes. I wonder who will take Pfaff’s place at Chula Vista? :wink:

Athletes are the product of coaches, programs and selection. Get one and you’ll get the rest soon enough. You can see the switch from the past in Britain to systems and programs from simply supporting athletes who’ve already made it one way and basically encouraging them to go off and try something else.
Interesting about Pfaff because it cuts the rug out from under the US as well.
Most US coaches are NCAA but this was a bit different, covering non-NCAA athletes.
I Wonder what their response might be, if any?
Certainly, Canada is in no position to do anything at all. The changes made away from the merit system Gerrard Mach created towards the cronyism that made leaving a no-brainer for Kevin Tyler have come home to roost. I really feel for Alex Gardiner, who’s a good guy left to try to clean up the mess.

I can’t comment on the Canadian situation.

Pfaff seemed like the perfect fit for the OTC, but I guess not. It’s been difficult to find someone who was respected, had a spine (ie: wasn’t a puppet for Brooks Johnson) and was willing to work ridiculous hours.

On the other hand, Dan has been a coaching gypsy most of his life and his stays keep getting shorter.

I see no natural replacement.

Wow… Pfaff at Lee Valley… didn’t see that coming.

Yea, that’s a good question as I almost went to that camp but on a hunch I decided it was not the best place for me. I remember, I had a long talk with the a man who is providing the money for the camp in Chula Vista (he is into real estate) and they seemed like a great bunch of guys who were in it for the love of the sport.:cool: