Palmtag's Results

5/4/05
Meet: Monterey Bay League Finals
All Weather: Hot and sticky all weather track.
Race Times: 2:15, 4:10
Weather: Windy as usuall…
Events 800, 4x400m
Results: 2:00.00…<–for real 2nd (Grrr…), 4x400 3:27.5 2nd (unknown split third leg)

Comments: In the open 800, I took it out, 57-58, and then jogged the third 200. It wasn’t until halfway through the turn that I heard Keli Parker’s ragged-ass breathing, and then I turned it on, but it was too late. The bastard had momentum and I had a calf cramp…In the 4x400, our fast first leg (Who won the 4x100 (43.3) ,400 (50.11),200 (22.27) AS A SOPH!!!) Anyway, our fast first leg, didn’t hit his split that fast, our second leg was good and we were in first at the exchange, and our exchange was great. I got a good 3 meters on Monterey, to put it up to about a 4-5 meter lead. Monterey’s third leg was a 50. 400 runner and he went out hard. Closed the gap by the back straight, but I held him on my shoulder around the turn, and edged a meter or two ahead of him. Our anchor leg had uh… just finished second in the 2mile and he was overtaken in the first 50m. He didn’t let go of the Monterey anchor; instead, he just chilled on his shoulder until the back turn when he made a big move. Our whole team was on the infield screaming and yelling at Nate. The meet organizer was yelling back at us telling us to back up. They pumped down the last 100m with Nate’s shoulder just a couple inches behind the other guy’s. In the last 20m, Nate’s endurance failed him and he slipped back a full meter or so behind. Tight race, and the fastest time our school’s ran in 4 years. And we can do better :smiley:

Reflection: I underestimated Keli, and got my pants kicked offa me. I made it to sectional trails, though, and I’m gonna have to run my wings off to get into trials. I’m happy with my 4x400 leg… it’s always so ego boosting to beat pure-sprinter types at a 400m.

No love for P-tizzle? C’mon isn’t Charlie Francis.com a giant group-help program?

Off to war. Central Coast Section Trials tommorrow. It’s the second step on the road to state. I can’t slip. Can’t falter. Can’t doubt. Can’t breath. “doubt, falter, slip”… No I can’t focus on NOT doing those things. That will give them power. Focus on my plan. Race plan: Go out hard. Pummel them into submission, break them like twigs on the 3rd 200, and blast through the last turn and down the home stretch as if someone had stuck Appallo booster engines up my ass.

“Life is too short to pretend I like you.” It’s also too short to pretend I have another chance.

Oh yah… and I’m starting the 4x400… AAAAAAAAHHHHHK!!! :eek:

Good luck Palmtag, run your race and you’ll do great.

5/21/05
Meet: Central Coast Section Semifinals
Track: Nice all weather
Race Times: 2:30, 5:40
Weather: A bit windy, but mostly just hot and dry.
Events 800, 4x400m
Results: 1:59.53q (last qualifier!) 4x400 3:25.09 (1st leg 52.0h) and 3rd fastest time of day.

Play-By-Play: In the 800, I did everything exactly as I planned it. I went out hard, 56 seconds. My third 200 was blazing. I hit the 600m mark at 1:25-1:26, and then I hit a wall… a very big wall, and split a very slow last 200. I went from inches behind the leader (who ran a 1:55.15) to fourth place. I made a big move on the leader on the first turn and was edging on his shoulder, but the back straight and last turn he sped away from me, and I just collapsed the last 100m :frowning:

The 4x400 was a lot of fun. We were ranked 2nd in our heat to a team that had led the section by 6 seconds ALL year. I was starter, and man did I blitz the first 200. I was keeping pace with a 49 second 400m runner, and then I didn’t quite hit the last 200 very well, and exchanged in a close third. (the other runner that ran faster than me was from a 3:39 team, so I didn’t worry) Our second leg closed the gap like a madman, but the Riordan runner responded very well to Keli’s attack and put up a 5-6m gap. Good ol’ Reggie Topps took it next. He didn’t qualify for finals in either the 400 or 200 :frowning: So he ran like there was no tommorrow. In the open four he’d accelerated to top speed much to quickly, and had paid the price. He adjusted in the 4x400. By the back straight he was less than a stride behind the Riordan runner. Regg then sped by him around the corner, so he had the inside lane coming down the home stretch. They were neck and neck coming home, and Reggie just barely grunted ahead of Riordan. Our handoff was perfect: a quick two step drop and Nathan was speeding away with the baton. Riordan’s handoff was ugly, and their mistake was simple. The anchor runner simply turned away from the baton before he had it secured, and so it went flying. Luckily (for Riordan anyway) Riordan’s baton flew forwards so they were able to pick it up on the fly, but it didn’t matter. The damage had been done. Nathan sped away, and proceeded to run the best 4x400 leg he’s ran all year. Riordan was able to chop 5-10 meters off the 15 meter gap that’d opened up, but they couldn’t clean up the mess.

Reflection: I needed to take my 400m leg out just 3-4% slower. In the 800m, I needed to make my big move on the back straight instead of the first turn I lost 4.5 meters trying to go around Fitzpatrik!!! (yah, I did the math)

So where to from here?

CCS finals, and then to state :smiley:

Good Job!! I always liked going out hard and hanging on. Hurt like hell, but it took the kick out of the 8/15 guys with better endurance.

Is that your fastest 800 of the year so far?

Malik

Good job, keep it up!

Good job, qualifying for section finals is awesome! Are you gonna do anything special with your training this week to address your dying the last 100m?

-mcrespac: No, unfortunately it was not my fastest race this season. I’ve ran 1:58 at Arcadia, and I hope to run faster than that on Friday.

-Thanks WRCortes :slight_smile:

-Not much training wise I can do, M-C. I’m just going to adjust my race plan. (Make my “move” on the back straight)

Congratulations :smiley:

Now just focus, and do what you gotta do.
We’re pulling for you.

5/21/05
Meet: Central Coast Section Finals
Track: Crappy all weather (Los Gatos High)
Race Times: 7:30, 9:15
Weather:Warm with cool slight breeze before 6:50
Events 800, 4x400m
Results: 1:58.08 6th, 3:23.84 3rd (State qualifier, baby!!! and 5th NMC all time!)

Play-by-Play: I went out well in the 800, 56-57 first lap, I pushed the back straight, and came home okay. I got outkicked by one runner, but my position pre-kick (or post-kick for that matter) wasn’t good enough to pull me to a “great” finish. The 4x400 was awesome. We had perfect handoffs, and great efforts by all the guys (myself included). I’m going to try and post a copy of the 4x400, but I’m not quite sure how to do that. If anyone knows how msg me :smiley:

Reflection: The 800 I ran was the best this season, I ran well at the right race, I guess. I’m disappointed with the season, but am at worst mildly pleased with my 800. (Top 6 get medals so I’ve got an engraved shiny thingey that can go on my wall… b/c we all know that’s why I train/run :smiley: ) but the 4x400, man. MAN am I excited. We were the team that coming in there had a chance to qualify, but in order for us to go to state, the magical and extremely rare occurance that almost never happens on a relay team would have to happen… We’d all have to run our best or better. And I guess Dumbledor was in the stands that night, because we were magic on the track.

And if you were wondering our splits were
51.3<–Me
50.5 <-- Our anchor leg had run a 9:28 2mile not 15 minutes before !!! :eek:

thats awesome about your 4x400 team. I’ll be at the state trials on Friday, so I’ll get a chance to see you guys burn some schools right? Good luck man.

Nice job on the 4x400, and same with the 800. You guys also should be running better in the 4x400 cuz I’m assuming that some of you didnt qualify in individual events. But your gonna have to be running your best cuz down from our section alone there something like 6 teams going to state with sub 3:20 times. Anyways, good job, and good luck!

We’re going into the state meet ranked second to last :eek:, but there’s about 18 teams at 3:21-3:23. Should be fun. My 4x400 is in the training/comp video clip section, if you’re interested in watching it.

Yeah baby!
I’d say that running your best times of the season when it counted most is success.
-go out and get a new pb in the 4x400.

Where you going after high school?
You know your prime/best is yet to come…

Quick post, working on my final Family History video

52.0h split ran 3:27. Our 2-miler ran fresh instead of the 4x400 and we relied on a freshman. He ran well for him, but not as well as we expected him too 53.9h split.

Time to relax for a week, then start piling on the milage for XC.

AP U.S. History: 4
AP English Lang Comp: 4
AP Art History: 4

Yahy! I thought I’d bombed the Art test, and thought I’d done better on the English test, but I ain’t complaining with 4 fours!

You’re a smart guy. You and Mister C… Damn I never was even in an honors class in HS, I can’t imagine how tough 3 AP classes at the same time would be… But then again, it’s all about priorities right? I tend to procrastinate a little too much in the school work department… haha I still get it done though.