On the Grind: My Endless Pursuit of Athletic Aspiration

LOL - never try and test your speed in the 100m, most times it will leave you disappointed - use the 55 or 60m for that. Have plans to run in any summer meets?

Do you think it would hurt to run in as many meets as possible? Like one meet a week? If not I’ll keep running in them. I’ll be going to summer school so I’ll go to whatever meet I can find in Houston.

Depends on your goals and training. If your training is gonna be super high vol in prep for a track tryout I may not compete in the short sprints. If you wanna compete:

Thur: 100/200
Fri: Rest
Sat: Hard tempo 4x5x100 etc
Sun: SE 4x30+1x150 95%
Mon: Light tempo on bike
Tue: Speed 3x30+1x60 95%
Wed: Rest
Thur: Am warmup etc/race at 730pm

If it was me I would compete, that’s the best way to get better.

Thanks, but do you think it would hurt if I still had some higher volumes in my training right now? Like what if I was competing on Thursday and did some high volume accel work on Monday?

If you are trying to improve I think it would be too much. You have several summer meets, you could always train through the early one’s and perform a 10 day taper for the final meet.

That’s what I’ll do for the next 2-3 meets, see how everything goes.

You may not want to; but I would run the 400 in the first meet. It may not pay off right away but I promise 2-3 weeks later it will in the 200. BTW, how much accel vol??

I plan on continuing compteting in the meets starting next week, and I may as well run the 400m with the 100m. With accel volume, I’m talking about 300-400m total on Mondays. This shouldn’t be too much should it?

Not sure why you want to do that much accel work, you have been working on accel for months now and that should be in place. I’m sure your weaknesses are top speed and speed endurance. I would do 4x30 on your SE session, 4x30 on your speed session, and 6-12 runs before/after the meet, that should be plenty of accel work.

Ok ya I probably need to spend more time on top speed and speed endurance. I just wish I would’ve trained with blocks on all the previous accel work.

Why? I don’t even have blocks, I think you will be ok.

Saturday, 5-22-10

Warmup (Light foam roll, 1 Lap jog, dynamic flexibility, activation work, sprint drills, 4 x MB Throws) I hit a PR on my OHB at 19.5yds

Sprint Work:
4 x 10m
1 x 60m, 7.24 HT
4 x 20m

Rudiment Hops:
DBL hops - 2 x 10m
SL hops - 2 x 10m
Backward DBL hops - 2 x 10m

Worked on technique for OLs afterwards.

This is the first time I’ve ever gotten a 60m timed, and it wasn’t too bad. My coach says that I could break 7 with correcting more technique flaws. I’m planning on doing this when my tryout comes.

Pretty much the biggest problem I’m having right now is simply not using enough hip extension during sprinting. Here is a clip from a 10m today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quGSOJSKQzg

Monday, 5-24-10

Warmup (1 Lap jog, hip mobility, dynamic stretching, sprint drills, MB Throws, light accels)

Sprint Work:
4 x 30m
1 x 150m (95%)

MB Throws:
Snatch Throw - 5x
Push Press Throw - 5x

Rudiment Hops:
DBL forward - 2 x 10yds
SL forward - 1 x 10yds

Keeping things easy today, the accels felt real good. I ran into some strong wind with the 150m today.

17.75 in trainers should equal a faster 100m time - what’s your thoughts?

Ku2u#1, What are your tryouts for?. Football? Soccer?

?.

Track…

I definitely wouldn’t consider that time legit, it was self handtimed, even though the dropoffs in the following runs make it seem reasonable for intensive tempo. But I am expecting to run a faster 100m time at the meet tomorrow. One reason being that I’m no longer sick and have done some training. The 60m time I ran the other day should indicate a faster 100m time I would think. It’s just a guessing game with HT’s vs. FAT times though.

Tuesday, 5-25-10

Warmup (foam rolling, hip mobility)

Bench - 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 205 x 5, 235 x 2, 235 x 2
Neutral Chins - 4 x 10
Incline DB Press - 3 x 10, 60’s

Wednesday, 5-26-10
OFF/meet tomorrow

In the meet tomorrow, I may run the 100m, 200m, and the 400m.

Plus the wind, that’s the bad thing about outdoor track.

Can’t wait to see how your body perform with this workout so close to your meet. I remember Charlie telling me to do all SE work even “submax” as far away as possible.