Olympics Predictions

From what I saw Phelps wasn’t exactly backward in his predictions of how great he would do.

Clemson why the hating on Thorpe? Is it because he doesn’t come from the good ole US of A? If he is on the decline and overweight (both of which are pretty clear) surely his achievements are even better? :confused:

You mean because of this?

“We’re going to smash them (Australia) like guitars.” - Gary Hall Jr.

Spitz hyped himself up (declared he would win 6 golds) and failed to deliver in Mexico City - Phelps’ hype is the product of an American media that rewards athletes for accomplishments that they haven’t even acheived yet. And what’s even worse is now that he failed to break Spitz mark this year, some analysts (Gaines on NBC) are already saying he’ll do it 2008! Ridiculous!

-----so, if an athlete chockes after he hypes himself out that is ok but if an athlete gets bronze in an event he does not specialize in then that is not ok. Healthy Ian Crocker and thorpe and hoggie being off a bit…different story.

I agree with you about Thorpe, but let’s be honest, how much drive and desire is he going to have when he’s a multi-millionaire at the age of 17 and is treated like a rock star everywhere he goes? You have to expect him to get a bit soft. The fact that he came to the games and beat a younger and hungrier man in the so-called “race of the century” shows you that he’s a bit more talented than you’re giving him credit for. (btw isn’t Thorpe coached by Tracey Menzies? I thought he ditched Frost 2 years ago)

—Doug Frost coached him to be the man…and now he has failed to improve in the same format. GREAT! As for the rockstar and loss of drive give me a break…he still is a swimmer and must train like one. He beat a kid at his first olympics and Phelps is improving. Connect the dots…Ian going slower turning to Elvis in Las Vegas while Phelps is Anthony from RHCP!

You’re right though - 6 golds and 2 bronze is incredible! I honestly hope he doesn’t choke on the rest of the races. I think he’ll be fine now that some of the pressure is off and the US public can see that he’s not a machine and that he can lose.

----no chokes…he can loose and SI predicted it. Hell look at the Japanese…could spell trouble in the Medley Relay.

No hate for the Aussies…since I was rooting for Jon Sieban in 1984! I am also an Anthony Moss fan and I love Inge!

Swimming is a sport for ugly teenagers.

—Doug Frost coached him to be the man…and now he has failed to improve in the same format. GREAT! As for the rockstar and loss of drive give me a break…he still is a swimmer and must train like one. He beat a kid at his first olympics and Phelps is improving. Connect the dots…Ian going slower turning to Elvis in Las Vegas while Phelps is Anthony from RHCP!

It’s true. Thorpe is getting soft. It’s what happens when you have too much money and success to early on - regardless of what you’re supposed to do (train, act like a swimmer), there are psychological differences between the Ian Thorpe of 2000 and the Thorpe of 2004. It happens in every sport and some of the greatest athletes of all time have fallen prey to it. Staying on top of your game for 4+ years is difficult no matter who you are. You can fall prey to injury like Terrell Davis, or just lose the edge. Look at Mo Vaughn or Albert Belle. Go watch Rocky III :smiley: it’s the same thing - and it will happen to Phelps. Actually losing this year might keep Phelps hungry - had he won the 8 golds, we might be looking a “Elvis in Las Vegas” Phelps in 4 years.

Phelps won another Gold earlier today…forget the race though…maybe 200 freestyle? that gives him 2 golds so far.

What are you talking about? Thorpe just won a huge gold yesterday and the games aren’t over yet and he’s broken WRs recently. Any gold means you’re not soft- unless, in your opinion, everyone else at the Olympics is softer.
Elvis can’t be in all the other lanes!

No doubt! Perhaps I put it wrong - making it sound like he suddenly sucks. He’s still the best middle-distance swimmer in the world.

He’s not soft yet, he’s getting soft. He’s on his way there. Other swimmers are closing the once huge gap that separated them and Thorpe. Actually he reminds me of David Beckham before he married the Spice Girl.

To quote Clemson (and I agree) “Thorpe is on the decline and uses that body suit to hide moms cooking”

Oh while it’s in front of me. Huge props to Canada’s Rick Say for speaking his mind after the Canadian relay team finished 5th in the 4x200 relay.

(as a bit of background for you non-Canadians, most people in Canada will be quite happy with 5th - saying “way to go guys”, “great try!”, “wait till 2008”)

Not Rick Say!

“I’m pissed off,” Say told CBC after the race. “I wanted a medal in this race. It’s unacceptable, us not winning a medal. This is crap.”

Atta boy Rick! I’m using you as my signature now. Hope this will fire up the rest of our limp-wristed nancy-boy Olympians and they can start showing the world that Canada can compete!

• I’m not dissing our Olympians. ANYONE who represents our country on the world stage deserves alot of credit. I’m disapointed (much like alot of Canadians) that our swimming team hasn’t performed up to their own personal bests - let alone up to the level needed to win a medal. Wether it’s lack of motivation or direction - things need to change in Canadian sports.

Charlie,

Ian Thorpe is a monster talent…and with that talent much is expected…with a sport that advances every four years from new information (read old never fully used) why not monster improvements?

Like Ben in 1988, thorpe should have won…you have a PVH and Phelps a little out of their confort zone.