ok what seriously happened to powell?

Good observation about Frater

They were enjoying themselves and powell clearly wasnt, obvious who does better and who doesnt.

dont post often bin reading 4 bout 3 years

but:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
that a 9.50 runing all the way…:eek:

We’ve entered the new level of human potential :slight_smile:

Also, Powell looked horrible while they were waiting to get into their blocks. When I saw that, I figured he’d finish 4th behind Bolt, Dix, and Thompson, but 5th while running slower than his semi?!?!?

Yep bags beneath the eyes and all.

Stomach hurt mon.

Unfortunately, this Olympics, I just don’t feel its appropriate to “sit around” and watch due to the major political and social issues that going on around the globe…

Anyway, getting to my point, the only portion of the Olympics that I did see was the 100m final and I wanted to comment on some of the statements that were made on this forum.

As far as Bolt, many people cant seem to understand why he didn’t run through the line. Here is something new, maybe they (Jamaicans) train to run the race this way. Powel shuts down in many of his races too. You never know, they might have stumbled over something.

Bottom line, the best races always seem to come when your having fun, your relaxed, and your not straining to get or beat somebody.

As far as Powel, give the young man his credit for Gods sake! He made it to the Olympic final and ran under 10 sec!
Thats a major accomplishment that; with all due respect, 99.9 percent of people on this forum will never be able to do.

I’m so sick of this negative garbage. Theres a major headline out of India that says; “Lightning Bolt strikes Beijing; Powell fails yet again.”

Humm? I don’t get it? How did Powell fail? One hundred years from now; if we don’t kill ourselves from each other, people will be able to look back and see that Asafa Powell placed in the Olympic 100m final in 2008; thats truly a remarkable feat.

Unfortunately, this Olympics, I just don’t feel its appropriate to “sit around” and watch due to the major political and social issues that going on around the globe…

Anyway, getting to my point, the only portion of the Olympics that I did see was the 100m final and I wanted to comment on the some of the statements that were made on this forum.

As far as Bolt, many people cant seem to understand why he didn’t run through the line. Here is something new, maybe they (Jamaicans) train to run the race this way. Powel shuts down in many of his races too. You never know, they might have stumbled over something.

Bottom line, the best races always seem to come when your having fun, your relaxed, and your not straining to get or beat somebody.

As far as Powel, give the young man his credit for Gods sake! He made it to the Olympic final and ran under 10 sec!
Thats a major accomplishment that; with all due respect, 99.9 percent of people on this forum will never be able to do.

I’m so sick of this negative garbage. Theres a major headline out of India that says; “Lightning Bolt strikes Beijing; Powell fails yet again.”

Humm? I don’t get it? How did Powell fail? One hundred years from now; if we don’t kill ourselves from each other, people will be able to look back and see that Asafa Powell placed in the Olympic 100m final in 2008; thats truly a remarkable feat.

“Lightning Bolt strikes Beijing; Powell fails yet again.”

When you are the favorite over 3-4 years with most sub-10 sec. in the shortest period of time.And when you are liked by majority of the world’s population, and when you are as big as the big man is, and when you can obliterate records, and when the media is expecting you to win, win, win … then simply 9.95 does not cut it.

His 5th place is a failure! Full stop. Ask him is he happy about it? He isn’t. I am not happy. 99.9% of people here on CF are not happy. Being in the final at the Games is a huge achievement but not for Powell. Powell wanted to win. Period. Anything short of gold is not success for him.

Where to from now? Only Powell will be able to answer it.

He’s 25. He has one more shot. If he can get it together for 2012 in London, it will be most likely his last shot. I can’t see him being at top form at 33 for 2016…Just can’t.

Bolt, on the other hand, will be 26 in 2012. He can, by then, shatter the 200 and the 400. He’s just begun his reign over track and field sprints. Untapped potential no doubt baby.

Rieti, Italy :smiley:

Realistically, can Powell have a chance in 2012 at least physically. He will be 29. Ben Johnson was 26 or 27 in 88 and Donovan Bailey was 28 or 29 in 1996 so there have been sprinters around that age win or medal. Maurice Greene got the bronze at 30 as well.

Powell must run more 200’s in meets, look at the other mvp runners.

now we go back to a technical issue that has been discussed over and over. Is his difficulty finishing related in any way to his technique (turning the hips under, which keeps the knees up more but reduces extention) I can’t really say for sure because there are always individual anomalies but look at the extention by Usain Bolt, mid to end race.
I would really like to know a bit about whether "finish drils’ are employed and whether he’s fully upright entering the 20m zone. Can anyone tell us if they’ve seen this?

Of what we know of there training its pretty much the same, the only major difference is powell dont run many 200’s while the other mvp athletes run the 200 even at the trails. Instead of running 48’s 400 try running some fast 200’s in meets.

It is interesting because, while there is a 400 in there early, it’s useless cause, in reality it’s a S-to-L program. His SE 300s are in 37s or slower, barely above extensive tempo for him.
On the other hand, 24 x 40m hills is tough.

Dont forget about grandpa Christie.

After watching the race over and over and listening to Asafa in the interview after the race, I sadly must say that Asafa is going to have to battle some tough times ahead of him. The confidence and self belief he was trying to establish before the race and for the big occasion vanished.

I do not see him running in Italy next week in WR time. This time I am afraid (and I am trying to pick the words) it will be a huge psychological task.

I wish him luck.

Gay is tougher and will come on top of it sooner than Powell.

He should still go to Italy anyways :smiley:

But seriously he wont break the world record this time.

The difference between Powell and Gay right now…Gay’s already got a major championship title and took down Powell in the process, he’s got less to worry about anyways, and even in his top 100% absolute form and even if he ran his most fantastic race, he would NOT beat Bolt. No way.