NFL Inuries

I just wanted to say a piece on “competent film study.” My senior year in HS I was injured with a broken ankle. While I was recovering and rehabbing, I was allowed the oppurtunity to be an Offensive assistant. During games I was up in “the booth,” making notes about our performance, and on sunday evenings, our real day off, the entire coaching staff and captains (total of around 20 people) would break down our last game and our upcoming opponents last game. 10 would go to one room, watch our game, and 10 to another room, to watch our upcoming opponents. Groups were more or less random. Once everyone got situated, we all had one singular different delegated responsibility for each play. As a result, it took us only however long the game tape was to come up with a ton of useful information that could be easily disseminated to everyone by monday’s practice. One caveat was that most of the teams we play we play year in year out, and are very familiar with their respective philosophies. Obviously, at higher levels, that might not be the case.

Thomas and Brian have both made great posts.

SpeedKills,

Great great point about the long term development of film study. I didnt realize that until you mentioned it. And yes I adjustments have to made or at least mentioned before the game so as to make the adjustments during the game. I think that is especially important between a WR and QB to go over adjustements. Then after playing a while(again long-term like you said), it becomes second nature to both of you. When you line up both the QB and WR see it, make the adjustement and hopfully make a play. Great points Bro

You’re absolutely right, Frit. It’s all about making plays, bro.

Hey you young punks - You high-jacked my thread.

Now, I know what you smart young fellas are going to say, “hey, Football Coach, you’re the one that mentioned film study.” You’re right, I did. However, I said it in reference to a question from Frit17 about D2, D3 schools having a coach that would coach a position and also run the strength and speed program. I said it could happen if the head coach was willing to release one of his coaches from film work (and coaches meetings, for that matter, of which there are far too many that last too long with the same things being said every week, every year ad nauseum). And, then I went on to make a funny reference to film study. Frit responded to my post. We were not talking about the NFL. We were not saying film work isn’t important.

(1) However, now that we’re on the subject, Brian is correct in saying ‘competent film study’ and coaches trusting that what another coach has broken down the film correctly. I know coaches who don’t do enough film and I know coaches who do too much. I know coaches who don’t know what they’re looking at and others who have a tremendous eye for detail. Some under-prepare and some over-prepare whether it is film, playbook, practice or gameday.

These quotes sound familiar from NFL dressing rooms?

“We had too much offense and defense. We simplified it and let the players play.”

“We were too predictable, our offense and defense was too simple.”

It is always a delicate balance.

(2) Since you were all talking about pass routes, here is what you want to do. Don’t have too many pass plays. Pick a set of 10 for example, make the routes within the play adjustable to coverage and rep them against every defence you can face. Window dress (as Sid Gillman used to say) by using different formations, looks and motion but the pass play remains the same. (just be careful with window dressing that you don’t confuse your receivers or QB in their ability to read the defense)

Football Coach

P.S. to get back to the thread, do any strength coaches, team PT’s and AT’s out there that have comments on over-training causing injuries on the football field?

Come on Charlie. You know the story about Slippery the Seal and Storybook Gardens in London don’t you? Escaped down the Thames out into Lake Erie on his way to the Atlantic. Slippery designed the first personal trainer certification.

Thanks for setting us straight, coach.

Sorry, I don’t know the story- but, apparently, Chek does!

Speed,

I’d like to coach all you guys. I would have no worries about dedication.

Football Coach

LOL - Exactly what I was thinking Charlie except Slippery the Seal never slipped off the ball and popped his knee, not even a fin.

If Slippery doesn’t even charge a ‘fin’, it’s cheaper than Chek.

Football Coach, as the head strength coach for a 9-1 Div 1 varsity highschool football team I have yet to have a single player sustain an on-field injury which was related to CNS or local muscular/connective tissue fatigue. Now, in all honesty, I believe that good fortune has a lot to do with this, however, I stress that the players give me as much feedback as possible, with respect to how they are feeling at the onset of each workout and how they are feeling on the field.

In my view, overtraining, as it may be induced in the weight room, is controllable. I say this not because I have mastered how to induce a certain percentage of overtraining (eg Schroeder), but because the proper employment of the programming of training methods/means will optimally avoid CNS/local muscular/connective tissue fatigue.

However, I feel that I have just scratched the surface to the ‘programming’ iceberg, therefore, I am highly excited about attending Charlie’s workshop.

Yep Yep. Excellent Post James.

I wonder if the young guys know what a “fin” is?

Charlie … I would like to start a thread titled “Making Money Coaching” describing what I do. You know there a number of coaches out there that have to work at a civilian job to make a living because they can’t do it coaching. Perhaps my approach may give them ideas and hopefully others can add to the thread. What category should I put it under?

Thanks,
Football Coach

How about under ‘Debates’ and we can debate the different approaches to making money as a coach.

I think that is a super idea.

Thanks Number Two. I’ll get that started.