Newton smashes SA 100m record

Newton ready for life in the fast lane
Tommy Ballantyne
February 08 2007 at 02:14PM

Tommy Ballantyne

South Africa’s first track athlete to break the 10-second barrier for the 100m sprint, Lee-Roy Newton, is already beginning to experience what life is like in the fast lane.

Ever since the news got out last Saturday afternoon that he had been timed at 9.95 seconds in winning the men’s 100m at the KwaZulu-Natal senior provincial track and field championships at Durban’s King’s Park Athletic Stadium, his cellphone has hardly stopped ringing.

“Just about everyone has called in to congratulate me,” said the 28-year-old full-time athlete, who was born in Port Elizabeth but who came to Durban seven years ago to be trained by Athletics South Africa (ASA) sprint coach Mark Labuschagne.

‘I’ve done my bit’
For the past two or three days all his spare time has been spent in assisting officials at KwaZulu-Natal Athletics complete all the documentation necessary to apply to ASA for the ratification of a national track record.

The official ASA record for the 100m stands at 10.06 seconds and was set in 1988 by Johan Rossouw.

Meanwhile, Newton has also been getting on with his normal track training load, interspersed with visits to the gym and his physiotherapist.

“I’ve done my bit,” he said.

“I mean, I’ve run my race, I’ve done the time, now the ratification process must run its own course and we just have to wait and see whether or not it is accepted by ASA officials.

‘I knew it was a very fast race’
“I want to feel excited about what I have done, but Mark has advised me to put it to the back of my mind and to focus on my training, which is good advice, because it’s out of my hands, isn’t it?”

Newton said that from what he could gather from KwaZulu-Natal Athletics, everything appeared to be in order.

Labuschagne said that on Saturday he had been impressed by how KwaZulu-Natal Athletics officials, including Aleck Skhosana (President) and Joyce Smith (General Manager) had seen to it immediately afterwards that certain practical procedures were in place for the ratification of a national record.

“They saw to it that the electronic timing device was checked, that the software had been correctly interpreted, that the wind gauge had been checked and the wind speed at the time of the race recorded, and that all the bits and pieces had been done by the book,” said Labuschagne.

“They even accompanied Lee-Roy across to the Absa rugby stadium next door to be dope-tested by the medical team that were there for the Sharks against Bulls game which was about to start.”

Newton said that on the day of the race the conditions had been brilliant for a fast time.

“It was so hot, around the mid-thirties I guess, and humid with very little wind about the stadium.

“I cruised through the qualifying heat in 10.82, coming second, to save most of my energy for the final and when the time for that came around I was feeling in a good state of mind and very relaxed.”

Newton said he had been a little wary at the start as he had false-started the first time and had made sure he waited for the gun to go off for the second start.

“I knew it was a very fast race,” said Newton, “and everything seemed to fall into place from when I came out of the starting blocks until I breasted the tape.”

As he flashed across the finish line he was virtually inseparable from his Fast Feet clubmate and training partner, Dean Wicks, who was timed at an equally impressive 10.00 seconds dead.

What Newton was not to know at that very moment when the finish was recorded was that he had run the 100m in 9.95 seconds and that quite possibly from that moment on, should this time be ratified, his life would be transformed.

“It’s a life-changing time,” he said, “but I am prepared for it. It’s what I have been working towards ever since I became a full-time athlete. I have always believed that one day I would get through the 10-second barrier and throughout my track career, although I have often run world-class times in training, I have unfortunately never quite been able to reproduce these times in competition. It’s a mental thing, I seem to put pressure on myself in these situations which is detrimental to my performance.

“But Mark has always stood by me and encouraged me, and I guess he always knew that one day I would do something big.”

Newton was raised in Port Elizabeth by his mother, who made many sacrifices to see that her son got an education and could pursue his dream to be a professional athlete.

At school, he mainly played soccer and before he left in 1996 had gained representative honours for Eastern Province Schools and the provincial Under-20 team.

He also dabbled in long jump and triple jump in
between his track activities but things did not go well for him at the local technikon, where he was enrolled for a course in graphic design.

“I could not fully concentrate on my track training and my studies frustrated me,” he said.

“So I quit, and that’s when I decided to make the move to Durban to be close to Mark, whom I had met a few times on the athletics circuit.

“It was the best move I ever made.”

He recalls that only a couple of years ago he was sidelined with a tendon injury that kept him off the track for nearly eight long months.

“I really could not afford to pay for all the reconstructive physiotherapy that I required and was on the verge of quitting,” he said.

“But Mark and my physio and others at the King’s Park Medical Centre rallied round me and made it possible for me to make a full recovery and to get me where I am today.”

Newton reckons that being a full-time athlete is one of the most demanding sports of all, as hours are spent daily training on the track or working out in the gym for little reward.

Every European summer, between May and September Newton competes on the European athletics circuit.

He has a German-based agent who plans his itinerary and negotiates for him to run at certain meetings, sometimes two a week, from which he hopefully receives appearance fees, prize money for coming in the first four places and bonuses linked to his time performances.

But it is hard work being on the road and trying to save for a rainy day.

“My mother and other family members have also all made sacrifices for me,” said Newton, “and it is to them that I am indebted, as well as to my coach, Mark, one of the best athletic coaches in the business when it comes to sprinting and technique.

“He too, and his family, have had to make many sacrifices so that he could continue coaching despite the lack of regular funding.”

As Newton ponders his future his thoughts are not too far removed from the next couple of meetings he will attend.

But before that, he will wait anxiously to see if his 9.95 time is ratified by ASA. Should it be, then he will join an elite group of around 50 sprinters who have also broken through the 10-second barrier in the history of world athletics and he will also be in line for an ASA incentive bonus of R50 000 for any athlete who breaks a South African record.

Then his lifestyle is really in for a shake-up.

I am very skeptic about these times. I heard yesterday in a meeting that there are already murmurs about the wind meter. This will not be the first time equipment will fail athletes in SA. I remember Godfery Makoena jumping a SA record in the triple some seasons ago, and the officials used the wrong tape measure and some juniors also had the same problem in the past.

It is very interesting that Newton and Wicks ran such fast times. Something must be up. Newton is not regarded as nearly the top sprinter in SA, and Wicks, to be honest, I’ve never heard of him.

I think we can watch the news in the following days to see what unfolds, but don’t be too surprised if it is not accepted. If it is, good on the two and their coach. This will be a much needed boost for SA athletics, which is struggling to keep their head above the water at the moment.

If these times are accepted, would Wicks then officially be the fastest white man ever?

I think we all question the times. In fact, any time anyone PRs by more than .1, we question everything. And no he won’t be the fastest white man ever. Just tied.

one thought: many will be waiting for confirmation of form the next race these guys run. But they’re now under so much “pressure” that it’s unlikely they’ll be able to run loose like they did when posting these quick times. So inevitably if they go back to mediocre times, people will call further into question those marks in Durban.

And being such a big Pb, their CNS will be smashed, and needed plenty of recovery. How they handle that too will be a factor, mentally he may be feeling on top of the world - sub 10 and all, CNS stress will still need managing though.
I say, good luck to them, hope they keep running well.

I’ve received an SMS from a source at AthSthAfr which reads the electronic photo-finish equipment was set up at around 99-metres. Not sure how such a mistake could have been made, or whether the camera was not correctly lined up across the 100m finish-line.

But in any case, that would partly explain why the times were very fast.

Although if there was only a 1-metre positioning error that in itself would seem to be worth only 1/10th of a second at worst at 9.95sec-velocity.

So Newton must still have run pretty darn fast, maybe sub 10.10sec?

Thanks for the info. We would need the complete results of these races (and women’s sprints as well) to study the personal best of all the competitors and check if something went wrong or if only these 2 guys ran very well. I don’t buy the “too fast to be true” concept, because if MJ had run 19.32 in Durban or Doha instead of Olympics, nobody would have believe it.

I just heard: The reaction time was minus something, thus a false start. The electronic timing only timed 99m and he only took the drugs test later in the afternoon, at his home. Athletics South Africa today refused to ratify the time. Thats the official end to these poor guy’s ‘wonder’ time.

Read an article on internet, quote from SA newspaper - one guy, age 45, in the same race as Newton … PR of 12" … ran a time of 10.8 (electronic).

why could I never get into a race like this? damnit :smiley:

LEE ROY NEWTON 100m SA RECORD NOT RATIFIED

Johannesburg, Monday, 12 February 2007 - Athletics South Africa (ASA) today confirmed that the time (9.95 seconds) recorded by Lee Roy Newton, in the 100m, at the KwaZulu Natal Athletics Championships last weekend, will not be ratified as a new South African record.

The starter’s electronic report reflects that Newton’s reaction time was -0.046 seconds off the blocks, which indicates a false start. Secondly, the photo finish camera was pointing approximately one meter before the finish line (this is evident in the photo finish pictures), and finally Newton left the stadium without being tested for anti-doping control. He was only tested at his home at about four thirty in the afternoon, which is clearly a violation of anti-doping rules. Newton should have been accompanied by an anti-doping control official (which he was not), until he was tested.

Release ends.

For further information please call:

LINDA FERNS

General Manager

Athletics South Africa

Tel: (011) 880 5800

Cell: (082) 990 3989

Now there is something i didnt know, If you break a record, you need to be drug test like right away or have an official with you! Up to what level do they do that? National records? State records? Particually if your a guy running way off from breaking any record, its doubtfull you will know!
Also, if you break the national record in a Low key Home meet, and blocks dont have electric timers on them say, Are you screwed?
I guess you want people around you that know what they are doing ey!!