my soccer program... comments please..

so could this jsut be added to my current speed sessions without possiblity of burnout???

say the run quickly, stop, then accelerate the other way is one rep… how many should in terms of sets/reps?

Do them at >95% of max int, or none at all! You can do them at lower int for specific warm-up purposes!

Keep the current speed volume and add some of agility work (what you wrote looks fine, but the tempo rest seems too short, run Xm, walk X/2m - my formula)! After some time switch emphasis on more agility work (larger volume), and add some hill work (now)…

I have created the picture below to show you my principle of agility progression…
Larger segment distances allow greater acceleration and greater speeds thus greater intensity and stress, also for smaller cutting angles, so switch them gradualy to allow body to adapt specific stress! Hope I helped…

With a 10m accel, you could do 3 x 3 with 2 minute btwn reps and 5 min between sets. You should adjust accordingly.

The thing I question about zig-zag runs is… Can you perform these drills at the highest intensity? After 4-5 accelerations and direction changes I really doubt that you will be fresh enough to complete the drill at the highest intensity. I would shorten the drill to only a few cones or just a single cone.

so would it be ok to jsut your agility session to my current speed days without redctuion of volume blinky?

I would reduce the volume of speed work when doing agility training since they both compete for CNS reserves. I’ve had success with doing agility/sport specific work on speed days with full recoveries.

Take the surfaces into account. Grass fields are less taxing on the CNS then harder surfaces so you may not need recovery periods that are that long.

The picture here is just a example-formal, but I agree with you on this… Keep number of cones about 5 (with start and stop cones). Actually you can progress with lesser number of cones (1-2) to a greater number (5-7 or less) but the course time shouldnt exceed 10-15secs (in the later PREP period) or even less

Is the purpose of the drills for athletes whom do not work on the technical aspect of their sport (with a team) during the off season?

Or is it for specific strength?

I am unsure how these qualities transfer to the game, as training time is always at a premium, and when you spend time on one quality it is always at the detriment to another.

Movement patterns vs. a cone / and movement patters vs. an opponent are quite different.

From my point of view, everything is done, including technical, tactical, physical etc work during micro-mezo cyclus, but their volume varies so there is no one-ability-rises-all-other-falls situation…
Doing “partner work” is done during technical/tactical work! It is quite hard to distinguish between technical and condtioninng work, because doing technical work alsao stresses physical preparednes and vice versa…

That would be my point, agility work is part of the sport, but the development of acceleration and max speed are not qualities readily developed in the sport, agility work may detract from this development.
what do you think?

You may say that agility is developed during a game practice (technical training), but then you can also state that accel is also developed during a game practice…
It would be like saying that OL (olimpic lifters) should engage only into their lifting technique (technikal work) and forget about squats, splits, press, shrugs etc
I dont think that agility work should be detrimental for acc and max speed (which is not so important in soccer), because when during agility work you must reach some speed (accelerate), and on the other thing aacelerating in a curve, or while cutting is something more important that straight line acceleration in soccer!
Good program and plan with good coaching philosophy and practice can achieve everything while maintaining everything!

This discussion has taken a most interesting path, similar to the ebb and flow of a soccer game. We plan, pratice, drill, condition, train, etc. then we reflect, analyze and try to improve on our performance with all our collected data and stats…It has been said that repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. Yet, we see this year after year with coaches and athletes. Thanks to members on this site I can get specific, science, personal, cutting edge, and even dark-side training advice and feedback for helping me reach optimal performance levels with all the athletes I work with.

May I ask what special strength exercises you do with your athletes to develop your agility abilities?
I ask this because you feel it nessesary to do more CNS work on top of acceleration speed work and the speed work done in training. I believe ones agility improves as ones strength and power improves (the ability to apply force and decelerate), it is a by product of training, not the training itself. There is a tremondous amount of legament and joint stress during agility work, and I wonder of team sport athletes truly need more.

I just started working with 14 yo basketball players, and for now I just work basic stuff with them like warming up, stretching techniques, core exercises, medball, kiphosys/lordosis/scoliosis corection, coordination, running technique (Mach drills) etc. I have to be honest that I dont have much practical/workng experience as theoretical knowledge.

I understand what you want to say! Same thing as with plyometrics…
Again, if they have a lot of games played during a week, certainly you will unload them from HI work, but we are talking about PREP period and there is not so much of specific HI training (technique). Same thing with basketball! Charlie stated that basketball players should avoid doing HI plyometric because they have it a lot during games and training. This is true, but only for players who play a lot of games during a week! Other, can do a plyometric training! There is a time and place for everything, but some things should be avoided for specific individual in specific time…

I think that lot of people here at CF.com are trying to just copy-paste Charlies methods on different sports! Sprinting is ok, but it is sprinting, it is not a soccer and certainly it is not a swimming! I took a lot of stuff from Charlies phylosophy (including short to long, and dull to sharp as my agility progression principle), but this treats to become epidemia! All the athletes cannot train as sprinters…

We are not talking about sprint training we are talking about propultion skills (if you wish to run faster you must be able to apply more force to the ground in a shorter period of time).
It is the same for all sports, people try to complicate the simple. Until you have exhausted the simple no need to look for more.

Also be careful in diagnosing spinal conditions as many speed athletes have the appearance of hyperlordosis, but that may be due to superior speed chain development. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

Agree… but delivering force to the ground is different between jumping, sprinting, starting, jump in swimming, agility! It is the same principle agree, but things are different in ome degree! Agree? Ok, there is a transfer form sprint training to soccer and other sports, but to some limited degree! Everything affects everything to some degree, positive or negative, but sometimes you need to isolate something do develop it… When you say that agility is a consequnce of training not a training itself, I agree with you, but to some degree… I think it is both! If agility stagnate, isolate it and work it!
Supose that soccer training maximaly loads legs, so surely you wont avoid doing squats, lunges, step-ups etc with soccer players? Wont you?

Tnx for the tip! I am very carefull! Actually I was thinking more on kiphosis, because these players (I train) have very weak upperbacks, and shortened pecs and stiff shoulders, thoracic spine! I try to learn them to keep their back in neutral while being in the basketball defence etc…

i got this interval training workout from a website and i was wondering what you guys think of it for training cardio for soccer:

if you can run 3200m in 12 mins you make an interval session like this:
4x800m at a target time of 2.5 mins/interval with 45-60 secs rest between each interval.

If you can run 1600m in 6 mins, you do 4x400 in a target time of 1min and 15 seconds/interval, with 60 secs rest between…

800m seems a bit long. I’d cut it into 200m intervals max.

Agreed if you want quality. 300 may be ok as well. But def. not 400. Athletes will dog it and it will turn into a sloppy jog.

An unsupervised set of 800m may turn into a sloppy jog performed by an athlete that is not motivated to perform at their optimum. But that’s to general a statement to make for the rest that are consistent hard trainers with the challenge mindset. Explain the programs, let everyone know your expectations, put them in rows, pull out the watch, and it’s go time. It doesn’t matter the distance, it’s now a race, a competition. Set the distance according to your training goals, don’t underestimate the athletes desire to work hard just because it looks damanding on paper. I’ve used the 300yd shuttle for off-season training for all sports. Sometimes we did 2 x 4 x 300 with 2 min rest, 6 between sets. I ask the men to repeat under :60 women under 1:05, most will do it, others gasp trying. It’s demanding and mentally tough and by all means not asking too much as a coach.

ok so using the example of runner who can do 3200m in 12 mins would this be good interval setup:

5x300 at a target time of 50 secs for each rep, with 45-60 secs rest between reps

rest for 2 mins, then repeat

rest for 90secs than do 1x200 at a target time of 30-35 secs…