My quest for 6.7

Today:
supposed to do 3x4x40m hills but cut it at 2x4x40m. I was wiped with absolutely no energy left. I think I caught my girlfriend’s cold and its zapping my energy.

In the gym I did 2x8 stiff legged dead lifts, again it was supposed to be 4x8 but I cut it short.

Next two days are off, hopefully I shake this cold in that time and then back on the grass on sunday.

Still got this crappy cold and its killing my workouts.

Managed to do 2x4x60m with 20m intensity limit. My legs feel incredibly fresh I’m just not recovering as well between runs.

Its a pretty minor cold, with just a runny nose I still have high energy levels. I think I’ll be fully recovered by Tuesday and back on to some hills.

Solid workout today, just getting over that damn cold I had.

3x4x20m tire sprints (roughly 20lbs) +2x20m unresisted all on grass in spikes

We worked out the kinks of the tire, its a little bumpy at times and looses resistance once in a while but it was pretty solid for the entire workout.

The first set felt odd, like I was fighting to get into a good drive position. On the second set I relaxed and told myself not to fight for frequency but to get into a rhythm and it worked very well.

After the workout 4x5 cleans.

2x4x100m tempo day, quick and easy

You could try it on the track in trainers if the grass is too bumpy or even a cinder track. If it feels too light stuff some rock inside the tire.

Yeah, there was a baseball field close by and I was thinking it might work better on that surface, more of a flat cinder track. Also my friends got a nice sled that works great on the track, the only catch is that he only has 8kg to load on so we’ll need to find some more weights to pile on.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll experiment around and see what works the best.

To meke sure you don’t go too fast too early in the training program

You have some nice goals, do you think it’s possible to drop two tenths off your 60m time?

60m:6.97s

Progression:
1st year: 60-7.02 100-10.79 200-22.14
2nd year: 60-6.97 100-10.94 200- 22.47

Personally I do, and I realize that its a huge goal and that my yearly progression in 60m doesn’t make it seem plausible. My only reasoning for this goal is the following:

In my second year I clocked a 6.76 electric through touch pad, so I’d put it at 6.91s with a decent reaction. I pulled my hamstring in the next timed run and still ran a 6.81s. The tear was minor but it took me 2 weeks to recovery, in that period I couldn’t do much. When I returned I had another timing session and only hit 6.91s. My season opener was 7.07s, (6.91+0.15=7.06, so pretty close). I didn’t rebuild what I had lost and ran a ton of 7.0x and finally a 6.97s.

Had I not pulled my hammy I think I would have gone 6.8s that season.

At that time my strength was what I would consider poor, 325 max squat, 2.8 SLJ, 28 inch vert and my start and acceleration was always the worst part of my race. During the following outdoor SPP I raised my strength levels considerably as well as my power.

On top of all that I switched coaches and my plan includes more speed work than previously and I think its periodized much more appropriately.

So if all goes well I think its realistic to hit that goal, but of course i’m very biased. Time will tell.

Today:
3x4x60m with 20m intensity limit

Then 3x8 deadlifts, my dead is so weak right now 8@185 was tough. I think I have decent form though.

Few videos from the workout

http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2349
http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2350

I think you could drop two tenths, a tenth should be cake if your training is going well etc.

Tough practice today.We were a big group, me being the only sprinter and we had some jumpers and throwers training as well. They were doing testing while I was doing hills.

I did 3x4x40m hills, very good pace, I like how these are progressing, feeling much more powerful at the start. My hamstring are still sore from the deadlifts on thursday.

Since they were doing some testing I jumped in for the fun of it.

Overhead shot put throw (16lbs) 13.9m
Forward shot put throw (16lbs) 14.9m

I’ve never done these before so I don’t have a comparison for them but its a benchmark now.

In the gym:
3x8 Front squat
3x8 incline dumbell press
3x8 1 arm rows

Tempo 2x4x100m
Sore as hell today

Saw the chiropractor earlier today as part of my usual maintenance. Did some massage, interferential current, ART, adjustment and some stretching. My insurance allows me to bump up my visits to twice a month so I’ve done so. I originally went to see him when I pulled a muscle in my back and tore my hamstring, he got me healthy again and I’ve been injury free ever since, and I think he’s helped a lot.

On to the workout:

3x4x20m tire pulls
These felt great today. I think my acceleration is coming in nicely because before I could drive to about the 20m mark with the tire and it was pretty much the end of my acceleration zone. But in todays practice I felt like I could keep driving for further, I think its time to bump up the distance to 25m and see how things go from there.

Our group of throwers joined us for some tire sprints and you could see it on them, driving to about 10m and then straight up. It’ll be interesting to see how their power develops over the next few weeks.

At the end of these tire pulls the jumps and throws group joined together for a little relay sprint competition. Of course I needed to jump in. It was two teams and each team needed to go up and down this hill 3 times each. It got pretty painful near the end. I wont be doing that again.

At the gym:
4x5 power cleans
I was pretty much useless after that so called it quits there but originally had push press and back extensions in the mix. If I hadn’t pushed it on that relay I think I would’ve been fine.

3x4x60m with 20m intensity limit
Feeling great, like my stride was much stronger and longer without actually trying. I think I’m handling this volume quite well, I feel fresh each workout.

4x8 deadlifts
Some core work

yesterday:
2x4x100m tempo on grass

Not nearly as sore as I thought I was going to be after those deadlifts. Just getting the hang of sitting back on the deadlifts and using my glutes and hams to start the motion instead of the low back. Its having an amazing effect on my other lifts. Along with my hip flexor flexibility training, the deadlift and “sitting back” I think they’re going to be major factor in progression at this stage.

Comparing my old clean and dead techniques, they were a mess and I was just muscling through them. No major benefit to glutes or hams there. But now I can feel it in my cleans and squats that extra push from the back.

off today, going to foam roll and chill out.

Yesterday:
3x4x40m hills on grass
They didnt feel as good as previously, I did a tempo session on friday instead of taking two days off, that might have contributed. This is also the beginning of my 3rd week and I was working out alone. We’ll see how I feel on Tuesday.

4x8 front squat
3x5 leg curls
4x8 incline press
4x8 1 arm rows

Good workout today

Upped the distance on the sleds to 25m

3x4x25m with 26 lbs sled

In the gym:
5x5 cleans
3x5 back extensions

My track workouts have been amazing and as a result all of my weight workouts blow. Especially the cleans. After the cleans I’m completely wiped. Because cleans and sleds are probably the two closest stimulus on the force velocity curve I think I’m going to switch cleans to my speed days instead. Well see how it goes.

As far as the weights go, I think its good that I’ve been either doing half of the planned loads or dropping certain exercises. I think this indicates that the track workouts have been doing their jobs. My weights coach said that he doesnt care if I don’t finish my gym workouts because im so wiped from the track because I’m fresh every speed day and wiped by the end of it, so no worries.

A few videos of sled pulling, on rep 11 and 12 so im a little tired.

http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2372

http://www.upmygame.com/watch.do?v=2373

What do you think you need to work on?

In terms of my 60m performances go, my acceleration.

I’ve typically had a slow 0-30m in my races. At my regional champs last year I was about head to head with 7.1-7.2s guys at 30m, than at the end pulled away for a 7.00s performance.

At our conference champs, running next to a guy who ran 6.8 flat, he killed me in the first 30m, and then I made some slight ground, and again ran 7 flat.

I’ve always said that I had the speed of a 6.7 runner but the acceleration of a 7.2 runner and so I’ve previously ran 7.0-6.9s.

I’ve made some solid gains in strength and power since then and I’ve been hammering out some quality accels. I’m hoping to lower both my accel and top speed times this year but more so accels. So far I think that I’ve really improved this aspect.