My quest for 6.7

I’m considering scarfing a shopping trolley from the local store & loading it with plates & rocks. I could stock the full shopping & trolley into the car & ride away.

Car pushes would be too tough on me from the get-go.

I think I might include them. Stores shopping trolley pushes, they key to me going sub 10.2.

A prowler is basically the same thing but you can control the weight in it.

I don’t like the idea of pushing cars for the sport of track and field - what’s the value?

Sled sprints are better. But as a general form of conditioning and strength work its not terrible. The upper body transfer is better and very transferable to push sports.

I agree with RB, it wouldnt be my first or even second pick for sprint training. Stick with sleds. I’m not afraid to go a little heavier on the sleds though, I think theres some good to be had from that.

How heavy and what’s the benefits?

I would put these into my schedule if I had the right equipment. Pretty specific.

//youtu.be/Hg-7v1KOiCk

I think you could have bitten off more than you can chew syrus, pushing the full weight of a car from the get-go, hence all the soreness and tightness.

I think thats true. I’ve got a training partner who is a bobsled driver and he made us modify the car pushes to make them a little more specific. We pushed hard for 10m,then the driver put it in drive and it made it a little easier, then the driver starts to accelerate away and we had to keep up with the car. According to him, this was the closest thing to bobsled.

As for the sled weights, I think its ok to go over 10% bodyweight. A 20lb sled for me is pretty light, I’d have no problems pulling a 50lb sled.

8x50m (timed as a flying 20m)

15x forward medball throws 8kg

squats 1x5 @ 365, 2x3 @ 385
weighted hip thrusts 3x10 @ 245

Good workout, almost identical to last week’s one except it was much easier to get through the 50’s this week. The quality stayed high throughout, if one would have dropped I would have ended the fly’s right there.

I guess there might be something in them car pushes.

Obviously they develop strength in your legs, hips, and arms, but there is going to be masses of isometric strength being developed particularly in the core & shoulder tendons.

Man, I’m going to start scheduling these in (taking the engine out).

I’ve been gone for a week to Calgary for the Bobsleigh camp. It was a ton of fun and I learned a lot about the sport. It was way more technical than I thought it was going to be but I made it out alive.

The week was set up really tough. We tested speed and jumps on day 1, weights and learned how to push a sled on day 2.

The next 3 days were 2 a day push sessions, one 2 man sessions and 1 4 man session. You can see how exhausting on the CNS this week was setup. On the last day, we tested for pushing times.

My performance results were:

30m: 3.60s, 3.62s (improvement from 3.65s at the last camp)
Standing broad jump: 3.1m on the gym floor, no spikes
Vertical jump: 35"

Power clean 120kg
Front squat 180kg
Close grip bench press 315lbs

Very pleased with these testing results, everything improved from the testing camp.

The rest of the week went by quickly. We were all burnt out after the first two days. The final push testing was disappointing. No one really performed extraordinarily, but everyone performed average to slightly above average for a seasoned bobsleigh athlete. The technique was difficult to pick up and many of us didnt have the hang of it by the end of camp. Pile on the exhaustion and that explains the poor push testing results.

If I could have a solid 2 months worth of technical push training down in the pushing facility I think I could dramatically improve my time. Which wouldnt take much to make a world cup with that time. We’ll see where this takes me, I may go back down to train for a month and see if I can improve my push time. If it improves to a time that is half decent I may go full into the sport. But for now, I move on ahead with the rest of my main competitive season in track.

The plan for now is to do nothing for a couple days and recharge. Then do a tempo session followed by an easy SE session possibly on tuesday. I wont be doing anything full speed for about 7 days to allow for my CNS to recover.

Back to training after a long recovery period. Felt pretty good today. My shoulder was still a little bugged. The plan for now is to train hard for the next 2 weeks. Then taper down for a local meet here and hold that peak for 2 more weeks through some meets. I’m running a 100 and 200m this sunday just to get the rust out of my legs from the past month of no racing. But the focus will be to train through until my taper and peak. I get to test out the world junior track in a pre meet being held there. I hear its a fast track. Mondo super X. I might also check out some of the action at World juniors throughout the week.

8x flying 20m

4x5 weight box jumps (50lbs)
4x5 box squats (low box) 295lbs
4x5 good mornings 155lbs

The sprints felt a little weird after pushing the whole week. But the runs were good.

First speed endurance workout in about 2 weeks. It felt a little more difficult than I remembered.

4x5 shot throws

2x150m

4x30m sled sprints

Was going to do some bench press in the gym but my shoulder hurt too much so I skipped it.Driving to Moncton on saturday to run a 100 and 200m.

Same here I did submax 120’s today first over distance session in about 2 weeks.

Got to test out the World junior track today at a prep meet the organizers put on to test out all the procedures. They had us check in 50 minutes before, call in was 15 minutes before event. We had to go to a marshaling area and were walked out and everything. Pretty legit. The stadium is amazing, mondo super x everywhere. Unfortunately the stadium is windy as hell.

They had a slight mess up. They never called the mens 100m, instead they called 2 extra heats of womens 100m for which no one showed up. We got the whole thing sorted out 10 minutes before we had to race.

My shoulder was killing me and was feeling pretty crappy so during my warm up I had pretty much scratched the 200m by then.

They didnt post the results for the 100 anywhere and they didnt post them up on the board. I came 2nd in the race next to a friend of mine. The time popped up on the instant clock as 10.85 for the winner. I could feel a headwind as I ran the last 40m of the race. Apparently the meet director will email the official results at some point.

I’m going to try to predict what I ran and the conditions based on what I know the winner ran. He had recently run 10.52s at a meet a few weeks ago, so its a good bet to say it was a headwind. I felt as though I was closer to him than the last time we had raced, which I was .27s away from him (10.66 him and 10.93 me).

Based on that my prediction is that I ran 10.95-11.05s with a -2 m/s wind.

I was hoping to run a 10.8, or something that converts to a 10.8, given that I was training through this meet, it would be a pretty good result.

I’ll post up the official results whenever I get them.

Also I forgot to mention that I gained a fair bit of weight during the bobsled camp and have been trying to cut back down to my pre bobsleigh 194lbs. Currently at 201.

At national juniors, the wind was strong to the point where the fastest 100 time didn’t even break 11 seconds. Bit worse than -5m/s

Still no word on the results from that meet. The meet organizer must be busy with the real world juniors to bother. I’m sure they will surface sometime. The winds were decent today in the 100m heats though.

Did a smaller workout and lower CNS load today.

2x150m
15x 21lb kettlebell back throws (15.7m best)
5x5 good mornings @ 175lbs

Tomorrow evening I leave for Moncton to watch thursday and friday’s World junior action.

What are your ohb/blf pr’s??

My over head back throw bests are:

4kg/8.8lbs women’s shot: 20.8m/68.4 feet
7.26kg/16lb men’s shot: 17.8m/58.4 feet

And various distances with the different weights:

21lbs: 15.7m
8kg: 16.5m

Board or flat surface?

Off the shot put toe board, although the 8kg toss was done on flat.