MVP v Racers this w/e

Bolt to miss UWI Classic
Monday, 15 February 2010

Usain Bolt will not compete at this Saturday’s University of the West Indies (UWI)/Gatorade Invitational Classic as he has done for the past two years.

Bolt who recorded a meet record run of 45.86 seconds in the 400 metres in last Saturday’s Camperdown Classic, announced that he would miss the UWI Classic because of sponsorship obligations.

However, despite the world fastest man’s absence, meet organisers have assembled a field of top local athletes for this the event at the national stadium.

Grace Jackson, meet Director says most of the MVP Track Club athletes including former world record holder Asafa Powell will compete.

“All their members will be competing except Shelly-Ann Fraser who recently had a caste on her leg and Powell will surely be in the track,” she said.

Racers athletes to compete

Many of Bolt’s Racers Track Club mates will also be present according to Coach Bert Cameron.

“We’re coming out even better than last week (at the Camperdown Classic). We know that MVP is going to be there and we expect good performances from them and good performances from the athletes from Racers Track Club,” he said.

Young athletes from the motherland Antilles, Cayman Islands and Bahamas will also compete alongside top local high school athletes.

British champion Christine Ohuruogu who is currently training with the Racers Track Club at the UWI, could make her local debut at the meet.

Who is Bert Cameron? Is this a new name, or an old one? I’m not that familiar with too many coaches.

Cameron was the '83 world champion in the 400 and was considerably dominate in that event during the early '80’s.

His SF race in the LA Oly Games remains a highlight although he was unable to return for the final.

//youtu.be/z7if5JFqE6w

He has been quite prominent for a number of years with Jamaica’s scholastic, as well as, emerging elites. I believe there was some mention of his participation with Bolt’s evolution to the quarter.

Bert is one of the lovable Jamaicans. Goofy sense of humour, always up for a laugh. Great company. Last time I saw him was in Goteborg 95 and he said he had to rush because he was due to give Merlene a massage . He had the widest most wicked smile. Just made me laugh out loud.

Holy shit! I had never seen that race before. That is one of the best races I have ever seen. Part funny, largely courageous.

Was this a determined to be a bad cramp? pull? I have no clue how he finished that race!