Mike Barwis - "Barwis Methods"

This is from ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg Big Ten Friday Mailblog re: two UM players.

Michigan DT Mike Martin 6-2, 294, Jr., Redford, Mich.

Bench-presses 505 pounds, squats 700 pounds

Power cleans 430 pounds, hang cleans 475 pounds

Runs the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds

Strength coach Mike Barwis says: “Mike is an absolute warrior. He has a never quit attitude and is a natural born leader. He is one of the most impressive physical specimens I have ever seen.”
Michigan C David Molk 6-2, 270, Jr., Lemont, Ill.

Bench-presses 490 pounds, squats 660 pounds

Power cleans 420 pounds, hang cleans 440 pounds

Runs the 40-yard dash in 4.9 seconds

Strength coach Mike Barwis says: “Dave is an outstanding worker and a natural athlete. He is one of the most naturally explosive linemen I have ever trained.”

From what I’ve heard, these “maxes” are still estimations from rep. maxes so it is doubtful that any of these wt. numbers represent true maxes.

Pioneer,
I agree. I doubt any of these chart “projected maxes” are even close. I want to see Mike Martin Hang clean 475. Barwis, Put that s**t on youtube. It is ridiculous. I just read an interview and Marius Pudzianowski said he cleans 496 lbs. So I am some how supposed to believe that Mike martin cleans 21 lbs less than the worlds strongest man. I watched Mike Martin live in high school several times and he was impressive, but this is something he needs to put on video if he is going to put that crap in print. If he proves it, I will kiss his feet. Barwis has lost his flipping mind. I love our profession and don’t like being a critic, but this is getting out of hand. Not being a prick, but Barwis should just put one player up on video doing a 4 plate (405 LB) hang clean. That would impress me enough.

Ok speaking of stupid (barwis), a kid I train went to michigans camp and got the mvp (linebackers I think) and he told me that numnuts (barwis) put them through a workout and talked to them. He said they did some core work and some lifting, not alot. I asked him what he talked about, he said he used alot of really big words and phrases (remember the kid is only 16 and a 3.5 student so he’s not dumb) that didnt make sense and he yelled alot. He said he was highly intense about everything he said, which again didnt make alot of sense to him.
He also said the speed (track coach) came down and put them through a small workout and that he sounded alot like me.
I wasnt sure if I should be disgusted or flattered by sounding like michigan, blah!
No in all seriousness though I’ll admit I know the girls coach there and they have a really good program there (guys too).

any one feel up to bringing me up to speed so to speak on this person
Sounds like we might want to learn more about him and try and make sense out of it

He took over a program that was nearly exclusively HIT. Millions of dollars to renovate the weightroom to provide platforms, squat racks (which were not there previously) etc.

Reported they do sprint conditioning in large volumes in fast times for what most of CF tempo type runs would recommend.

His philosophy on video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAMsH2fJBA

NFL prep video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Aky4TdRuI

I do enjoy the 6 rep jumping jack hang cleans at what looks to be 315+. I also like his 4.58 40 and 33 reps claim when Official pro day results are 4.72 40 and pulled his hammy to boot. Benched 31 reps.

Esti

I love it when I read a post or watch a video and it makes me smile.

just like when I get into Charlie’s car.

And why did’nt Number Two want to drive the car at Charlie’s funeral?

I bet its not too fast for Mr.B @ go Michigan!

I think Barwis can talk faster than the Benz can go. Haha. Ange, his presence in Michigan makes all of our job’s here more difficult. He runs the strength at the premier university in our area. If he say’s something, it’s gospel. If someone questions it, you are just jealous and a hater. I spend an awful lot of my time explaining why this is bad to parents. They just think their kid’s are sissies and need to work harder. We know what happens after that. I predicted the result of this training style 3 years ago. My college football players were like “Wow, you called that”. I told them it’s pretty easy to see a train wreck coming. Ian and Charlie taught me well so I know crap when I see it. If I could have came to the funeral, I would have drove the Benz if offered. And fast too. But I would have tried to tell the police that I thought the signs were miles per hour. Haha

Angela,
Those guys are absolutely right. People call me a hater because Im from michigan state (michigans rival). Alot of people dont know but our head strength and conditioning coach did a internship under mike gittleson (the former head s&c coach at mich) before he came to msu. I have had the opportunity to speak with Gittleson a few times and I must admit he’s a very smart individual. Granted I (along with others) dont like the HIT system but some of his other ideas were very good. Speaking to him 1 on 1 I ask him his personal opinion of why his former university is going into the crapper and his opinion of the new regine that took over. He wouldnt say in words but his facial expressions said 1000 words.
I wont name the former players but they coach at a rival high school near me so of course them being from mich & me from state we talk trash but we’re friends, but they told me that they were thinking of going back to there beloved school to help out but the vibe and attitude they got from the new regine is not good at all plus they didnt make them feel welcome.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention these guys went to the nfl or at least they went into nfl camp so you would tend to think they would provide some type of guidance or good advice but arrogance took over so as most football people can see the end result.

Hey the guys at our garage said
This car needs to be driven Fast!

You are just the woman to do it. I used to have a BMW 5 series and you couldn’t tell you were going fast at all. Was doing 140 mph before and it was smooth. Glad I didn’t get caught. The ticket would have put me in the poor house.

How did you like the maintenance bills? :slight_smile:

How can you say the program in going into the crapper, it’s still early. Is it because they have a different philosophy then you?

I mostly lurk around here. But as a U of M alum I have to just throw in my two cents about Mike Barwis.

F$@! Mike Barwis.

Thanks, I feel better.

Another hater, don’t lurk - what’s your name so I can share with U of M staff.

Oil changes were a little steep, but never really had to fix anything major. Oil change was around $80. I am sure it could get expensive out of warranty. Nobody makes cars like the Germans. Looking at a used Audi A8 for when I am in Physicians Assistant school. Don’t want to have car payment. Got to live lean for a couple years, especially with a 7 month old at home and a limited training schedule. Also, Highlander was a Spartan athlete, so he is excused for hating all that is U of M. I think Barwis BS’s too much about lifts and too many people follow the smash em philosophy that Barwis espouses. I just don’t like having to explain to parents that pounding you kids into the ground week after week isn’t good. Parent’s are gullible and they think that’s the way to do it because they do it at U of M. That is my only complaint. I honestly don’t care what he does, but so far it has been abysmal.

Trust me RB34, its not just a difference of philosophy. When is the last time you heard of U of M getting ncaa infractions? Granted we got embarrased by John L. Smith and Bobby Williams did ok but nothing to brag home about but Rich Rod (another butt for brains) has embarrased them dramatically! I found it hilarious myself considering the amount of arrogance that they protrude toward the world. Trust me if you lived up here you would know what im talking about
"As for the lurker LBSS, Thats FUNNY!

Maybe I’m bias but I love the U of M staff.

Yeah I would say your biased. To give credit where credit is due the baseball, track and gymnastics are excellent and Ive met them an there good people. Now the S&C staff is idiots controlled by 1 main idiot. I know people who train some kids there an they all hate the football staff, well at least rich rod and barwis.

Yeh, I’ll take a BMW any day over a benz. My mom has had her BMW for about 10yrs and hate the maintenance bill.

I like winners and they win…