Mike Barwis - "Barwis Methods"

Agreed. But since Barwis and RR decided for the first time I can remember to put their S&C coach front and center with all his bombastic claims, he has made himself a bit of a target fairly or unfairly. Winning cures alot and they have done little winning as of late. Regardless of what his style is, they have lost to OSU and MSU for 2 years in a row. That is damn near unforgivable in Michigan. I also think it is shortsighted to call kid’s pussies for not wanting to be verbally and physically abused. I played the game and can tell you if I ever had a coach get too personal, I would have probably said F**k you and walked off. I got my ass chewed plenty, but it wasn’t daily and it wasn’t some of the very personal attacks these guys have made. Kid’s get recruited by certain coaches and go their because they like the program and the atmosphere. Lloyd and RR are about as different as they come. Some kid’s may not like his style i.e. Boren. Too say a kid is soft because he left your program, went to a better program, starts and beats you twice say’s alot. No pussy in my book, just a good football player who went to a better situation.

Do you think that the field needs a change of direction? I certainly do. Just because someone is a professional or collegiate S&C coach doesn’t make them good at their job. It’s more of a who you know. I like what I do, I wouldn’t want to work for a situation like Michigan even if I had the chance. Too much uncertainty regarding employment. Coaches screw up, get fired and you’re out of a job. Do you think Charlie or Ian King aren’t leaps and bounds smarter than most of these guys? I know what intelligent training is. I know what training is bad as a consequence. Running 50x110 yds with minimal recovery is idiotic at best.(like at CMU). They also did a 1200 rep leg workout. What is the point? Where is that in the annual plan? I think you can have plenty of fit guys doing a hell of a lot less. Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn’t Michigan had a lot of injuries the past few years? I seem to remember like 20-25 guys missing time due to injury. That is a bit of a statistical oddity. Not arguin RB34, I just think the more people support stupidity, the longer it goes on. I agree with post above. Great genetics can trump a lot on the playing field. Our number one job is injury prevention first, performance second. Not much good to the team in the training room no matter how good you are.

No comment, if your happy doing you then keep doing only you.

RB 34, thanks for being gracious. We may not see eye to eye on all things training, but I respect your opinions. It is good healthy debate. That’s what makes this field so great. Like you said, there is more than one way to get to a common spot. I will follow my path, it works for me. Keep on doing your thing, I like your posts. You are an avid poster who has much to offer.

What if Barwis was your boss, would you be on here saying this stuff? :wink:

In my career, that is also the case, and I think that could be said in a lot of industries.

Guys, I should say all distingushed members of this great site. I think it is safe to say that stupidy has no boundaries.
Please dont misunderstand me I would never call anyone on this site stupid but its safe to say that we all can spot bad training when we see it. :eek:
Rb34, to defend buddy and james, lets see where would someone rather go, south florida or pittsburgh. Im not saying that anythings wrong with pitt cause there tough as they come but come on, sun, girls, beaches, it should be a no brainer.
Ollie I could agree with you more, again its florida :D.
James I really hope you guys come up with that plan like tomorrow! Myself, along with speedcoach and esti are tired of trying to deprogram athletes to reprogram them in the right direction. I think ive done that all summer.

I agree that it’s only a matter of time. I believe there is a movement bubbling under to establish a system of checks and balances or a way of calling people out.

This may be going off on a tangent, but I’ve held the belief that the internet has also played a role in that it’s allowed coaches to create the illusion of being at a much higher level than they really are, all for the purpose of moving product.

Agreed. In theory, one could amass a significant amount of knowledge regarding physical preparation via the internet.

Of course that’s only half the battle, as you can’t gain the experience of working with athletes face to face sitting behind a computer.

Agree with Ollie. There are a lot of people who are “experts” on the internet, yet train absolutely zero people. It’s like a comment Ian King once said in regard to an industry icon who just wrote books. Someone in Toronto Speed seminar with Charlie asked him about this gentleman, and Ian replied " I prefer to talk about people who actually train athletes, not just write about it." Its easy to make yourself sound intelligent (i.e. rambling on about stretch reflexes, proprioception, 3 dimensionally unstable environements, etc). It’s a hell of a lot harder to amke athletes good at what they do. I don’t need to tell people who I train and their lifts to know that I do a good job. I look at the end result of last years recruiting, 9 kids that I worked with at one point recently, got scholarships. Their thanks is all the notoriety I need.

Preach! Oh by the way since 2 stupid dogs (great cartoon by the way) got to everyones beloved mich. Injuries went up 300%, about 42 kids left and went on to other universities, oh yeah there starting, SEE RYAN MALLOT.

Ryan Mallot avg qb and will not be a great pro. Bad example, Rich could care less.

In defense of RR, Mallet is a poor fit for spread option offense. He does seem to be the number one rated guy by most NFL scouts coming out next year. Mallet, Locker, and the kid from Stanford are the supposed top 3. I guess we will see soon enough.

Check the big board and pac 10.

Ok explain the 42 kids transferring from a very rich in history university, which blows away the previous ncaa record of kids transferring in 1 year. What about injuries going up 300% when they got there? Believe me I didnt make up these numbers. I just laugh when people from there admittedly want nothing to do with there university. Thats like me or you saying we want nothing to do with our prospective universities. Face it my friend, Michigan has suffered more than a black eye no matter how much people try to defend them ( believe me my family is alumni along with some members of my church and even they said there praying that they get it together).

New Barwis article talking about combine prep and 6 hour sessions and two a days.

http://annarbor.com/sports/um-football/michigan-football-nfl-draft-preparation-mike-barwis/

That helps to explain why six former Michigan football players would subject themselves to four two-a-days a week – and a six-hour session on a fifth – with Barwis, whose reputation for laborious workouts precedes him.

If I close my eyes, I can see Charlie rolling his eyes in disgust.

Enough said!

Who are the “Olympic athletes” consulting with him?Marathon runners?NOt surely sprinters, hurdlers, throwers or lifters, that is, no performance sport…could be good for rowing maybe?

I read an article around 4 yrs. ago where he said (if I am recalling it correctly) he had worked with “Olympic sprinters” but I never found any examples of who those people might be. This was either prior to or right after he had started working at UM so it would almost certainly have been someone who attended WVU. I definitely had/have my doubts about the claim. The article might be linked to one of the threads here on the subject-possibly this one(?).