Micheal Johnson tells Marlon Devonish to train properly.

Speed endurance must be specific- and present long enough to allow for gradual adaptation over time.
Your last point is true. You can do the 100 in the meet and a fully recovered 200 at the end after the meet (the right time because it is maximum time you have before the next meet)

I wonder if this is because Marlon has signed the UKA contract, and they are planning his racing season for him?

A frightening thought, especially as speed is so specific. You need to run in the best possible conditions during competitive preparation, not only to meet the stringent standards but to acclimatize to the speed you need to hit. I needn’t remind anyone that these are not always found in Britain.

Rest depends on distance run BUT 3 to 5 min is NOT full recovery.
Question on Sprint Coach Exam 101:
So, you want to run 3 x 100m flat out…
Will you be best able to duplicate your first effort’s time with:
A: 3min recovery?
B: 7min recovery?
C: 35min recovery?
If you answer is:
A: Congratulations! Enjoy your new career as a fry cook at Tastee Burger.
B: You may be a coach, but you have a girlfriend on the side and want to get the session done so you’ll have some time left for a stopover before going home.
C: You’re a real coach who wants real results.

Not necessarily! There was a problem with the 200s this season and what Devonish said is true, I’ll give him that. Also, he said that he did that 200 m in Athens by chance and got the qualifying time (it was out of the programme and was scheduled in as the last event for the local athletes), which is true. It was quite difficult to find 200s this year. Of course, this does not exclude the simulation tactic in training mentioned above.

There are lots of meets throughout europe, minor Grand Prix etc, he could run for his club in the british league.

The problem obviously stems from the fact that his training is not up to scratch, hence he is not fast enough to be invited to the big european grand prix.

From my experience, the B meets have been buried by the pressure from A meet promoters. When we took a young group of kids from our club to Europe in 1978, we found 5 meets and of the 22 kids we brought with us, 20 had pb’s, some more than once. They were all in close proximity and we never had to switch hotels.
In later years, it became harder and harder to find these small meets. One was Konstanz, in southern Germany, I remember. Such meets must still exist and even though their status might not be high, it’s results you need first!

Wow I would have loved to have seen that. The replay is gone unfortunately.

I really think the sprint coaches should start listening. I can understand no one being interested in Charlie’s methods but it would be stupid not to listen to MJ. However I think shortrestsandlotsofjoggingism is here to stay.

Charlie, you should get a job writing learning material for the NSCA etc… this gets the message across very well! In fact it gives me some ideas.

i think we need something along the lines of master/apprentice. Where the master is a proven coach who has achieved results, which has his group of athletes, and he also has an apprentice who he teaches to coach. If the apprentice succeeds in producing performers, then the apprentice gains his Level coaches certificate. As the apprentice gets better and better results, then he gains his level 2 then 3 ECT ECT.
This country i big on apprentice’s and traineeships ECT. It’s sure it could be done if the people up top would pass it through.
As an apprentice, a level 0 certificate is issued to cover insurance example??

This way, short rest and jogging for endurance can be phased out…

This site has a table and explanations. mentioning Mach:

http://www.gbap.co.uk/Article_Files/Series_1/sciencebehindsprinting.htm

I really enjoyed reading that and learning some stuff. Thanks

Sorry! Too logical and results based.
Why isn’t this done?
Because such a system is so objective that there’s no room to appoint and promote unqualified friends, which is the entire basis behind bureaucratic empire building, where the way to protect your job and look smart and competent is to surround yourself with stupid and incompetent people who owe you their jobs.

That is a similar approach NZ is moving to for accreditation with all formal sports coaching. The days of becoming a certified coach by simply sitting a course is being phased out. From what I understand there will be some bookwork but it will have a much larger practical component and will invlove coaching diaries, mentors and peer review.

IMHO the required step is to make that accreditation compulsory as currently anyone can turn up spin a yarn and start coaching…well he said all these flash words and seemed to know what he was doing :rolleyes:

Sounds like we gotto move to NZ, wait, too darn cold for me! then again, your stadium is being built with a roof…what to do???

If COMPULSORY accreditation comes in before anyone can enter to change the status quo, you’re headed for the dumpster because who do you think will accredit the next group- those who don’t want to get punted now!
Not to be mean, but who, exactly, should be reviewing anyone for the sprints from NZ? Who would be the master coach? I would humbly suggest that travel will be needed there.

To clarify that is the proposed strategy for all sports not just T&F. I doubt compulsory qualifications for coaches will ever happen here.
Charlie statements of fact aren’t mean. That said I don’t have intimate knowledge of training programmes just what I observe and hear in passing.

Given our large Polynesian population we should be producing more international class sprinters unfortunately Rugby and League provide more $ so they go their and crunch skinny wee Aussies…eh Bold :stuck_out_tongue:

Bold,
you soft Queenslanders wouldn’t last a month here, shit even the Aucklanders piss and moan about the cold when they come to Dunners :smiley:

yes, true true, you guys seem to always crush everybody in Rugby, lucky the League players more than make up for it ey???

I dont know about the cold part, i used to live even further north where you sweat at 6am till 10pm. And i managed to live in Canberra for 12mnths, running am and pm in frost. I remember when it got to -9 a few times, also my 1st day there from 20+ the day before in Qld. and -4 seemed to be the usual. And it never seemed to warm up during the day, maybe 4 above or something silly like that? I managed to train and live there for a yr??
But really, bugger living in that cold really! Places like that should just be holiday destinations! Qld, mmmm, heat.

Note that this is how all good coaches learn anyway, though often not as part of a formal process. It would make sense to do this formally but then trying to set it up is difficult.

You need to give credit and facilitate coaches in the pursuit of their own goals but if you cast their progress in stone there can be no deviation from the mold and no creativity. That’s my fear.
At Stanford, there were no phys-ed courses and I wouldn’t have been interested at the time anyway. but, if I had been, I might well have been so strongly influenced to follow traditional serial application of elements in training that I might never have tried my own approach.