Matt Forte Hill workout

Forte’s routine consists of 10 80-yard wind sprints up the front side of the hill to improve his endurance and speed, returning to the bottom with a series of lunges to help strengthen and stabilize his knees. Then he moves on to the steeper back side and performs 10 40-yard sprints wearing a 15-pound weight vest, just to make things interesting.

Walter Payton?

http://http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/sweatspot/?athlete=forte

Maybe he’s doing some true speed work somewhere.

maybe he’s just a freak. hs central mass 100 champ two years ago only weightlifted

Why is this that much different from what Bolt and Powell (especially the MVP club with hill sprints, long hills, and sleds) are doing in their general prep?

And I remember reading about some of the arduous training that Jerry Rice used to do in the hills of San Francisco. Lots of hill running, and I think there used to be something about this in the archive.

I’m not criticizing what he’s doing; however, to take what any standout NFL player does in training, in relation to their on-field success, with anything other than a grain of salt is naive.

Nearly every single 1st string player at that level is exceptional in one way or another.

At that level, just like the situation at the big time BCS programs, the strength coach’s tactics are like crazy glue “works on almost everything”.

We’ve been working with a +300lb center on one of the NFL practice squads who is close to 10m on three consecutive double leg hops.

Athlete’s with that type of ability, again, just like those at most big time BCS programs, are going to perform pretty damn well regardless of how well they’re not coached.

Yes, of course.

For what, little time for speed work. Most of the time should be spent recovering from the long season.

So you don’t do any speed work with your ballers?

I guess these NFL guys should spend their time doing those rubberband exercises like TO and Reggie Bush. Funny how there is a barrage every off-season of NFL guys discussing daily on twitter that they are lifting and sprinting (usually gassers). For most people gassers seem to take more recovery time than true accel work.

I guess Ian Danney is probably eschewing accels now in fear his guys will not be recovered…

This wasn’t a normal NFL season, the players I had the opportunity to work with we did very little speed work. Shit, the first 4-6 weeks is spent getting therapy and performing corrective work. We would then progress to a block of ext tempo/general fitness - leading to one speed day per and gradually moving to three high intensity days which may includes OTA’s etc. To many things you must take into consideration when training NFL football players - aka GROWN MEN!!! If you are trying to grow a business it’s about keeping clients = you must keep them happy while delivering results = give and take = being flexible with your philosophy.

All common sense. I can’t understand why someone would do something different honestly, but they evidently do…

Regardless of whether or not they are talented, freaks, or whatever, running up a hill with a weighted vest is probably not a good idea don’t you agree?

RE: Clients…duh.

Read James comment. It’s not my job to say if it’s a good idea - give and take. You may have 2 days that “you” would call great workouts and one shitty session to please the client/coach. If it’s all common sense why do people still fuck it up??

You answered your own question, common sense is not all that “common”. Why you picking on me man…go find Lyle.

Who’s picking on you? Do you think it’s smart that Pitt did 200-300m hills?

Why would you other than:

1. Head coach wants you to.
  2. Athlete belief in it is very high/tradition.

Clearly you get in shape doing it.

Time out:

Read up on mitochondrial biogenesis at the level of the myocardium (work:rest:intensity:movement dynamic parameters [hint: you won’t find much western research in this area]) and you’ll understand the efficacy of the longer hill runs at the beginning of summer training.

Point is they don’t fit ll400 methods. Thought you didn’t like the long hills. I can’t type a long message because I’m on my blackberry.

What the hell are you talking about “fit my methods”. Unlike some im gray and not black or white. I’m not an either or person. You can’t tell me intuition tells you to run 300m hills with football players. James is smart and if he does that I want to know why because it goes against the grain of what most on here would do.

You tell me big dog. Just work the cut.