Many with Left side tighter than right?

As one very effective possible mean. Not the only one mean,for sure.

[QUOTE=pakewi;243735but I would surely stay away from the bosu,as it most likely would worsen the problem,and possibly allow for more to come.
.[/QUOTE]

I hope you realized that i was taking the mikey out of the Bosu? ie - i dislike the bosu, swiss ball balance boards for the very reasons mentioned.

One more Q. in regards to tightness training
I have one client - he is tight as a board, everywhere! every muscle. He is loosening up, abit slowly - yes, he has many structural problems (originated from a bad push bike accident a few yrs ago)
At a guess, would you do say Hamstring stretch / Quadriceps strength AND vice versa? IN the same session, or rotate the sessions?

Sure I did,no worries!
I would not do anything like you just said,as to me it is not going to help your client out,and possibly to mess his system further.
First we need to figure out where the origin of all this tightness is,functionally before than structurally,and address that first and foremost.

OK cool - This is what i had been doing - We had been came to the conclusion His Hips were the issue - and had been working on them extensively, but, his progress eventually began going in circles.

Eventually he got some scans, he rang Yesterday to say, His Femur head is ok, but the Hip Socket has been ground away!! An MRI to be sure, Hip replacement by sounds of it.

This, Time OF Exposure - And also the adequate (maximal) feedback = Just to clarify - A nice Heavy load held for 10-30sec? As this say, 30sec becomes easy to hold, we increase the weight or do we increase time of exposure? Or does that purely depends on the Goal of the Said person?
More weight = more Maximum load, longer loads = more time of Exposure. (more time of exposure can be expressed through more sets also)

A heavier load done in Sets to create time
or
A medium load done in working up to one long set
Or combinations thereof

I hope that makes sense

More load as you define it possibly moves everything towards the end of the F/T curve opposite to the one where you’ll find the desired stimulus for your goals.

So, you’re saying,
Holding the positions for say 1min is better to get the Neuron pathways working the way we want?
How long becomes too long? or too short?

Naturally then need to Hold Ideal position, form ect

I got a guy to hold a Hammie/Glute exercise at extreame range for 1min each leg. His left leg was profoundly tighter and even cramped at one stage - quick ART then resumed. We did this 1 x both legs together, and 1 x each leg separate.

The tightness in his hammie as felt before and after, was greatly reduced. :slight_smile:

Be sure to try and find the origin (general) of the problem and address it (generally).

I do remember having to do glute ham raises for 2-3 x 20 reps for a hamstring spasm in college. It did help loosen things up fairly quickly. ROM was short too. :confused:

hammie pain/tightness is usually caused by issues with the lower back or glute, sometimes the calf. As Pakewi says find the cause and address it.

Yes exactly
Pakewi is mentioning a Different way of delivering the Outcome of reducing muscle tightness via a different means than that of Therapy.

Finding route causes is no great issue for me - Neither is treating them.

I think i understand what Pakewi means in as much as re-programming the Muscle/Brain connection via exercises - i’m trying it out on a few clients.

Trouble is - I’m only assuming i’m right in understanding the delivery method Pakewi is suggesting. It Makes sense in how it has come across to me, and seems to be working.

For me, if “A” works in fixing something, That is great, If “B” also works in fixing something, i would like to find out about it, “B” might even be better than “A” - a combination of “A+B” might be even better?

I would like to find out what “B” is even more so. (B is what Pakewi is suggesting) - Read post 15 above this one that Pakewi wrote.

Interesting.
Indeed,I refer to training (exercise),not therapy in any way. All exercise should be therapeutic per se,promoting higher degrees of integration of the system,better function,hence better structure.

Yes, I understand that.
I also do similar, eg, scapular pulls to increase the size and strength of the rhomboids, rotor cuffs etc to create a strength reserve so they they don’t spasm as much, and stretches for surrounding muscles, works a treat.

I try not to rely on one style of delivery. Can’t move forward as a trainer if you do.

Where can I learn more about this extreme hold pattern training?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ARPWAVE1

http://www.youtube.com/user/ARPWAVE1#p/u/16/7cwiQTAgqOc

I fully agree with this video.

This following video is interesting - however, in the context, it’s still a form of THERAPY, and looks very interesting. I think i recall Pakewi a few yrs ago you talking about the ARP wave?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ARPWAVE1#p/u/24/9BWNargPnU0

The thing with ARP - from what i get from the videos - is similar to what i get from FOAM rolling! Removing the tension from an area removes compensation patterns. trouble is there are many many muscles in the body - and your fix one, then discover another muscle, then another…

Pakewi - interesting to note, all my clients that start with me, they all start with Mediball throws - each muscle has its own throw, almost similiar to the reactive catch and release examples shown in the videos you linked to.

I do this and don’t allow anybody to progress to Harder exercises untill they have mastered the mediball - it breaks Left/right side patterns (or compensation patterns) and also front/rear patterns.

Sometimes you can see, some muscles are not responding, or cant respond as some come in with FROZEN muscles - eg, rhombiods, certain rotor cuffs, hip flexors ect. We then remove the tension (tension which is mostly 80% of the time on the LEFT) and once removed, and stretched out, the activity recommences with Vastly different outcomes (for the better)

Once Mediball work is passed, we move onto Bodyweight exercises, same thing applies, then Dumbbells and or Cables. Again, looking for issues and fixing them as they arrive.

I typically find, once i can get somebody doing a full body Dumbbell complex routine - correctly, they have NO compensation issues.

The only thing from there on out, is to ensure tightness, or compensation issues do not sneak in.
eg - people do things outside from me, like Golf, or gardening, or tennis, or whatever. The repetitive nature of ONE side domination of these activities leads to tightness in one side. (normally the left)

the other vid - I have never seen this done with a tens machine before, my man used to do by feel.

my question, was the problem related to catching/sticking of the muscle sheeth.

That’s because it’s not a TENS machine. Or EMS - looks similar, works different.

Catching/sticking of muscle sheeth i find, helps to reduce muscle tone 1st, then work on Sheeth/muscle “stickyness” - i find a Jade stone works wonders in this regard, Always followed by Stretching, always

I probably do not understand what is being discussed.

From my experience after a back operation and physio- 3 days a week for 9 months, there is an alternative way to treat, a tens machine in my case tuned my body to make massive endorphins (spelling). My back problem was relieved by freeing my right shoulder/scapula. I have not used stretches for almost 10 years.

Post 15 is one of yours, the post no: is on the right