Making Money Coaching

Some of the key point mentioned thus far should not be overlooked: (1) find your niche and (2) identifying a population which to target. Much like Chris P I found myself combing “injury management” with strength and conditioning. Strangely this is not the direction I expected to go in, but nevertheless it has worked and I continue grow in this direction. Being “Mr. Fix It” goes along away. Almost everyone lives with some sort of ache or pain, and majority of athletes will experience some sort of injury in their career. I’m not sure with the rest of you but my athletes can’t necessarily afford extensive rehab beyond the assessment and a couple of follow ups. Besides anyone that has been in some of these clinics today can see that they are more concerned with the number clients that can get in and out in a day than with the quality of work. Furthermore, alot of these rehab programs focus on single joint exercises and don’t prepare the athletes for the physical challenges of their sport. So taking over the rehab has opened a few more doors for me and has helped me obtain more clients (slowly but surely).

Lastly, you can’t be eveything to everybody as mentioned b4! Trying to do so at one point in time had really slowed my progression. I guess you can try to be everything but that seems to only get so far. Whereas, focusing your efforts will grant you longevity…my 2 cents.

Now a quick question…Chris P and footbal coach. What kind of are do you live in? Is it a sports town, a large population, a very athletic (weekend warrior) kind of town, are there many other private facilities like yours etc. I would like to know a little about the area you live in because here in Toronto it seems as though there are private studios and personal trainers EVERY WHERE!

Thanks

Since we’re on the topic of making money coaching, what would you guys choose out of these options? NFL strength coach, university track coach or private trainer?

Each one has its pro’s and con’s. I am acquainted with some an NFL and college strength coachs and it can be a long, hard road. If you are seriously considering this outcome, at minimum you need a master degree and a couple years interning as an assistant (unless you happen to be at the right place at the right time and know the right people). I know one disgruntaled former strength coach and I won’t get into everything involved, but just know that it has its ups and downs. However, it can be a very rewarding career. It just depends on your own philosophy regarding money and career.

I am an entrepreneur at heart so anything I say would be biased in that way. If you decided to go the private trainer route, make up a mission statement for yourself and write up a business plan. It is time consuming but it will pay off. Regarding the profession of being a university track coach I have no experience or insight in that area so I cannot comment on it. My guess is many track coaches who are members of this site and maybe they could respond.

I live in a sports crazy area that is population dense right outside the city of Philadelphia. The city is going downhill so we have seen a population jump in the past 5 years. That is good for business people like me but bad for homeowners and traffic!

Thier are many gyms, trainers and private studios in the area. However, just the fact that you are reading this board and hopefully buying Charlies education material on this site, you should be far ahead of your local competition.

Competition will always exist. If thier is a way to make money, people will do it! Here is some perspective, in Manhattan thier is a gym on almost every street corner. Talk about competition!

People will choose to or not to work with you for a variety of reasons, some of which you have no control over. As long as you know your field, are an honest businessperson and willing to grind out the tough months you should eventually be successful.

Well put…

I work in Manhattan and there IS a ton of competition! But all that was said on this thread still holds true. Even in NYC. Even thought there is a ton of comp you can still make loot. You just have to be good and be able to talk.

350,000 people and lots of disposable income
349,000 people who are lazy

Still, I make a very good living because I have my niche market. There are other personal training studios in the city and more that are starting up. But, they don’t do what I do. I’m a coach and I don’t have a studio. I have a place with racks and bars and other junk. I guess you could call it a weight room. I don’t even have a name for it. No sign, no nothing. When somebody is interested their told where it is.

There is one guy I heard about who started up recently training Ultimate Fighters. I’m sure he trains others but he is targeting a definite market. Hope he does well.

I think prehab-rehab is a big market. Most people don’t do their rehab and need someone to make them do it. Business is there. You must get connected with a physical therapist(s) who has the same philosophy you do.

Strength Coaches at the college and pro levels can earn a large income. Over and well over 6 figures in some cases. Like all coaching positions the head coach trusts people who knows. So, you need to get involved with the coaching community for whatever sport it is your thinking of covering. From what I have seen it appears most head strength coaches at the college level are football and their assistants and interns take care of the other sports. Maybe Speedkills or someone else can add to that.

Football Coach

Football Coach

Do you design off-site training for your clients? Such as acceleration, speed, and conditioning as well? You said earlier that you were going to post a sample workout or two. I am still interested in seeing what you do. I know it is a busy time of year so no hurry. You mentioned in another post that you had recently had knee surgery. I take that it was nothing major but minor repairs (if there is such a thing as minor repairs) such as joint mice or an old meniscal tear. Hope that you are healing up alright.

Thanks Paul - it was a bucket-handle tear of the medial meniscus and it had locked up my knee. Did it showing a young QB how to step in to his throws. (great shape that knee is in don’t you think?) I did the knee about 30 years ago playing. The ACL is completely torn and reattached itself to the PCL. That contributed to the meniscus injury. Next stop will be to get the ACL done.

As for my programs. I’m just working on a strength program for the local university team. They want to change from what they were doing. I’ll have that template done this week or next. I’ll put it and what I do with my clients up on my website hopefully by January 1st.

The guys who come to my gym are businessmen ranging from 36-62 in age. Many were good athletes and most still play hockey and of course golf. I don’t have any that compete in anything serious. Although, the hockey they play is a with a collection of guys who played NHL, Senior, Jr. A and Jr. B. I don’t have any of the ex-NHL guys yet but maybe they’ll come. They are in their 50’s and 60’s so they’re prime canidates for my gym.

I put together conditioning programs if my clients need it. I’ll show you those too. What I try to get them to do though is play a sport and have some fun.

I see you’re pushing 50. It’s a wonderful age.

I had a flap tear of my right medial meniscus just over 6 years ago, it cleaned up pretty well. I have some joint mice in my left knee that I will have to have taken care of in the near future. Both are just the result of many a bump and bruise. You mentioned you hurt your knee showing a quarterback how to step into his throw. Several years ago I got home from work and my two boys were playing catch with a football in the front yard. I set my brief case down and took the football and did a quick three step drop to toss the ball to them. Well, while hitting that third step I heard and felt something like velcro tearing in my calf. It ended up being a tear in the fascial junction of the gastroc-soleus complex. Guys our age don’t seem to get these injuries setting world records or saving the planet. It has been an interesting and fun journey. Where is your website? I look forward to reading what you have to say.

Gotta love stories like that. Of course, when you’re talking to your grandchildren you hurt your knee and calf as your were diving in the endzone following a 82 yard run for the winning TD in the State championship.

Next season when I throw the ball I will put on the ACL brace and be very careful.

Great thread so far coach. Where is your website?

Football Coach, Hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I am seriously considering opening my private training facility for a New Year’s resolution. I need a kick in the pants to get me off of square one. Give me your best shot!!

My programs are all on the wipe boards in my gym. I will try to get a basic template done on the computer for you in the next 2 weeks.

Question for footballcoach or anyone else,

What sort of assesments is everyone doing on firstime clients?