Los' Training Thread

Try expanding your rest btwn sets to 7 minutes. This gives you a bit more recovery time.

Thanks for the feedback, although, the previous times ive done the session, although tough, ive had only 5mins recovery, and ive managed the session. I think yesterday was just a one off type of thing.

Friday:
Upper Body circuit - couldnt get to gym

Had some time, so did another session this arvo
w/2min recoveries
Did this off shorter recoveries, so slightly slower reps - body likes this better, it doesnt get beaten around so much
47.1, 39.8, 34.8, 25.5, 19.4, 11.2, 9.1

Didnt go off that hard in the 350 (the time shows), and the 100 and 80 reps were a little short. All done in flats. Happy with this session today - responded well. Could have also had to do with more sleep last night - the past week has been 5-6hrs interupted sleep. Last night was a solid 8hrs, followed by another hr or so.

I will have a rest day tomorrow, and sunday, i will go back to my 100m tempo-ish session, maybe do one set followed by some faster sets (maybe 150,120,100,80) - see how dry the track is

" Did this off shorter recoveries,-so slightly slower reps-body likes this better, it doesn’t get beaten around so much."

Bingo.

Sounds like you’re doing well coming off that calf soreness.

I would just observe that the variations you’re putting into your sessions is a real positive because it forces the body to continue to adapt.

The corollary to that is that you should always keep in your mind the purpose of your session and keep working the various performance threads (short speed, longer speed, power, power-endurance, lactic tolerance etc) so that while they will tend to overlap from day to day, week to week, they don’t get confused within a single session.

I’m not a big fan of the “mixed bag session” because ultimately you end up primarily with an endurance session, which is fine unless you’re hoping to develop speed-power which is pretty important for a sprinter.

With some of your training, you look like you’re pushing all of your personal frontiers within the same session.

I would say if you set the reps, distance, density and intensity maybe you should read your body more closely and lengthen the recoveries between the sets.

Then obviously you’ll get better quality within the sets and reps which presumably is what brings better results.

I have always thought that, especially once you’ve finished the GPP and are moving into pre-comp and thereafter, you can take as much time as you like Between Sets when it’s Specific Endurance you’re training for. That’s just my view, just food for thought. Not trying to impose my concepts on anyone else.

I think you do the serious work generating the pace for the Rep and then, if you’re trying to further load the endurance by doing, say, a split run (eg:300+150), then by all means shorten the recovery between the reps.

But then if you want to get anything else out of your session which will be in any way specific to the race you’re training for, you better give yourself a respectable length of time to recover before taxing the energy reserves with a second set.

On the long hills (3x2x360m Hills) in our GPP, we would take routinely 45minutes between sets, depending on needs.

But the only important thing was that the quality of the next set was very high and we got a lot more benefit from the overall session.

The endurance was still there because of the length and speed of the reps and because of the stressed recovery between those Reps. But the recovery between Sets was not stressed.

“It’s not how Hard you train that counts, it’s How you train … hard.”

KK: Thanks for the feeback - much appreciated
With that in mind, i did the full 100m tempo session, rather than a “mixed bag session”

Sunday
2x7x100m w/30s/3mins
13.7, 13.7, 13.4, 13.9, 13.4, 13.7, 13.9
13.1, 13.9, 13.4, 14.1, 13.5, 13.6, 13.3

Havent done this session sine 18th Nov. Middle of 2nd set began to find it tough. But finished off well.
Calf came up alright, was sore to begin with, warmed up well.

I wont ‘freshen’ up for a run this weekend. I will do normal Weights on Monday, normal hills Tuesday, normal weights Wednesday… and Thur/Fri - wait as it gets closer

Monday
Weights

Tuesday
3x2x200m hill w/ jog back and 2.5mins
28.3, 30.4
28.3, 29.6
28.4, 29.4
bit annoyed at 2nd rep, was hoping to do them all sub 30, but quickest ive done the session. please with progress

Wednesday
Weights

Thursday
1x300/150 w/ 60s
37.6 17.9
Was windy, first half of 300 rep was terrible. Couldnt get going at all! left foot was sore (from calf?) but warmed up ok.

Friday
Weights - only upper body, no legs

Saturday
Compete
400m - 48.83
Apparently i had a terrible start. Aim was to concentrate on first 200m, felt good. 3rd 100m wasnt terrific, i didnt attack it. Whether that was because i couldnt, or because i was a little cautious… Last 50m was good, felt really strong.
With some increased speed i can see my time dropping.
Happy with this run

Sunday
Day Off - did absolutely nothing

Monday
Weights

I am going to continue the same training for the next few weeks. May miss a gym session and a track session over xmas.
Next comp will probably be in about 3 weeks.

Progress should always make you happy.

Tuesday
3x2x200m hills with jog back and 2.5mins recovery
27.8, 30.4
28.2, 30.0
28.4, -

Breathing was comfortable, quads were burning. Not sure if i hadnt totally recovered from Saturday, or from weights yesterday, or combo of both.
I just couldnt get the legs to move to even jog back down!

Wednesday
Weights

Thursday
2x3x300m w/ 1min and 5min
44.6, 46.8, 45.5
44.8, 46.2, 45.9

I had planned on taking KK and mekstrand’s advice and increasing the recoveries between sets. It was going to be 10mins recovery and do 3 sets. But i was a bit strapped for time, so i did 2 sets with 5mins. Improved about an avg of 1sec per rep from last time. Was a bit heavy from the weights on Mon/Wed.
Pleased with session

Friday
Weights

Saturday
w/2min recoveries
47.8, 38.7, 34, 27, 18.7, 11.3, 8.7
was very windy, as you can see the times are a bit all over the place - 350 was terrible! 200m was disaster with gusty winds, but overall faster than last week.
Felt left hamstring a little during 150 in tendon behind knee, but didnt feel bad

Sunday
Hammy didnt wake up well
did some circuit work, plus some slower 100m reps. Tired from yesterday as well

Monday
Played golf
Tendon was ok, but the tendon on the outside of hamstring became sore.
Weights
Massaged tendon out - felt good

Tuesday
Day Off - xmas!

Wednesday
Hills - different hills. Hammy felt ok
200m with jog back
29.1, 31.0
29.1, 31.2
29.5, 31.8
Felt terrible. Just exhausted

Thursday
Weights

Friday
3x3x300m w/ 60s and 5mins
44.6, 44.3, 45.2
45.5, 45.7, -

Felt unbelievably comfortable.
Felt hammy on 4th rep, bit more on 5th - pulled plug on session. Woke up with sore back - tight hips. Warmed up ok.
Worked on hammy rest of the day. Felt worse after digging up part of driveway.

Saturday
Hammy better, extremely tight in belly of muscle.
Upper body weights
2x3x400m w/60s and 5mins
did these in about 1:10-1:12
Was tough, hammy felt ok, stride shorter than normal. Great deal of tightness in hips and gluts. Slowly loosening up.
Will continue with slower tempo-ish work until hips, gluts and hamstring loosens up totally

Sunday
Stairs
Hammy felt ok, but still very tight, so did a big stair session.

Monday
Quads aching/tired from yesterday
Golf - played well!

Tuesday
Hills - different hills. Hammy felt ok
200m with jog back and 2.5mins
29.9, 31.4
28.5, 30.7
28.9, -
Didnt attack first set, making sure hammy was ok.
2nd set was stronger
3rd set, quads died, stairs monday and golf tuesday affecting it.
Hammy was ok, tight on outside tendon (inside tendon has been the sore one, with tightness into belly. Belly of hammy fine) Hip flexors tight.
Feel as though ive lost a bit - couple of missed sessions, hammy prob. Hope i can get it back quickly… see if ive lostr anything with Thursday session

Wednesday
Weights
Did monday’s leg weights
did light hammy work. left definently weaker than right

Thursday
Only a couple of hours sleep last night, baby wasnt the best. Didnt feel the best today
2x3x300m w/60s and 5mins
I know, i did short recovery and only 2 sets. Had a meeting to come back to.
43.4, 46.1, 46.3
45.9, 46.2, 46.5
last rep was tough. first rep was closer to 40.4. Looked at clock bit before line and it was 36, and stopped to walk to finish. So last rep prob suffered because of first rep? Windy as well.
Happy to get through session. No hammy pain. Stride was a little short (not sure if wind or i wasnt quite striding out)
Similar avg to what i did 2 weeks ago, but take into affect faster first rep, and it was better.
Hopefully i can back up well on saturday (350,300,250 etc) and sundays sessions.
I havent done sundays 100m reps for quite a few weeks now (4 weeks). I think the next 2 sessions will be important.

Im going to lessen the leg weights a bit as my legs are suffering. I want to put in a good performance on the 12th Jan.

Friday
Weights - lessend leg weights
Hammy stronger

Saturday
w/2min
49.6, 37.4, 34.5, 24.4, 19.1, 9.1
First rep was terrible, felt comfortable - and it showed! Guessed i hadnt quite warmed up, or was in 300 tempo mode
Happy with the rest of session.
Hammy held up well.

Sunday
2x150,120,90
walkback <2mins, 5min b/w sets
17.9, 14.3, 10.8
17.3, 14.0, 10.8
wet ground, grass.

Felt ok. Last rep felt like a fast jog, body had had enough.
Hammy was good.
THought i would do a speedier session rather than the 100m tempo.

Aim to have a run on Jan 12, and then State 4 weeks after that (5 weeks from now)

Back to original hill on Tuesday. Been doing different hill over xmas. See how it compares to previous sessions. Should give a good indication. Hopefully i can go a little quicker

Is all your training,not including hills done on grass?

no, generally sunday session is only one on grass (and spikes)
others done on path and joggers. dont have access to a track