Long jump next for Bolt

I do not think so… Take it. Bolt ran 9.58, Lewis ran 9.86. Difference is 0.28. Devide it 10 and 10m segment is 0.028 difference. Bolt the top speed was 12.4m/h and Lewis’s 12m/h. Carl when competed usually runup speed was 11.2m/h, and he was able to do take off! I am not sure that Bolt could run 11.6 or even 11m/h and does take off! Carl had been doing long jump since his very young age and Bolt start jumping in 23 and jump so far? No…
And another point. Everyone speaks abot 400m and time under 42… Johnson ran 19.32 and 400m was 43.18, X-man ran 19.63 and 400m was 44.5x, Spearmon has 19.65 and tried 400m with result 45.xx I do not think it’s so easy even for him to run under 42, maybe 43…

Walk in the park. Bolt is gonna get records in all the events:
-100m (already)
-200m (already)
-4x100 (already)
-400m
-4x400
-long jump
-mile
-marathon
-triple jump
-javelin
-discus
-shot put
-every other track and field event
-walking on water
-drinking the most beer pitchers
-everything else I did not mention

he will get bored and break every record in the end hahaha.

IAAF scoring table evaluate Bolt’s 9.58 100m as equivalent in value to a 9.16 long jump. Now when he gets to 9.58m…

I would be very interested in seeing what he can do. I’ve wondered for a while how far he can jump.

Bolt running 12.4m/s compared to Lewis’ 12.0m/s is not insignificant. It’s an increase in top speed of about 3%, which can increase the long jump distance by 3% if everything else is identical. That’s about a quarter of a metre he gains due to superior speed.

ok… and try to take off during that speed… it is not joke… And What about Michale Jordan in high jump? I think 250cm no problem… and what about Mike Tyson in shot put? 24m? hmm And what about Bolt in 800m? 1:40? its only 12.5 for 100m-jog for him! :cool: I forget, he is very tall, taller than Bubka, so if Bolt use his speed in PV, wow…650cm?
Hey guys…I think he is able to run 100m in 9.50 or 200m in 18.90. However, you are dreaming…

Get off your sarcastic high horse and think a bit before responding. I did not say Bolt would be taking off at 12.4m/s. I think that if his top speed is 3% faster, it’s not much of a stretch to think that he could take off at a faster controllable speed (maybe 3% faster even). Whether or not he can jump is another matter, and I said nothing to whether or not he can. Gaining 0.25m is over himself at a slower speed, not over Lewis because Bolt can miraculously long jump at an elite level with no training.

personally, i think bolt could kick ass if he learned the long jump

forgetting all this fancy analysis of speed, which as we can see in current jumpers, speed varies significantly but with similar distances jumped. using fancy numbers really doesnt prove anything at all.

anyway, as he is absolutely massive, he would get awesome reach for landing!!!

I can bet he will show a better technique than Britney Reese :slight_smile:

I am really stunned at this whole discussion. What more does this guy need to do? A wrong move and he’s injured for good. Stick with what’s obviously working and stay clear of trouble.

I think he will stay where he is…but will occasionaly give something to wonder about… ( why not 200m hurdles??..those mini hs would suit him perfecty:)))

You are right Charlie…

If, over the next couple of years, he can lower the 100m and 200m records a little more, and no challengers appear, then I would like to see him try something else. If he dominates the 1 and 2 for another 6 years… I probably won’t watch the events after a while.

Or, he could start a singing career…

He could also be better than michael jordan !!! And beat Tiger Woods !!!
Feels good building supermans huh guys ?

He should also consider hopping into the pool with michael phelps.

Well that’s one down and a few hundred million left.

Well that’s one area where he wouldn’t have too much trouble setting a new standard!!
Just think of it… the G.O.A.T. of the Throat!!

He could be the first man in history to drive a basketball 300 metres

Btw. there is a quote from Tom Tellez saying that the LJ is pure application of max. v but couldn’t find it, anyone?
I still don’t like Carl Lewis take off, I believe it was ok at Atlanta but he didn’t seem to be agressive before. His landing wasn’t good at all imho, with Tokyo 91 being an exception.

It’s kind of like asking Floyd Mayweather to leave boxing and go into UFC. Taking a big pay cut for what?