Lemaitre adductor strain

STEVEN DOWNES

27 JUL 2010

‘Great White Hope’ Lemaitre hit by injury

The news from the French team on the first morning of the European championships in Barcelona is that Christophe Lemaitre, their “Great White Hope” for the 100 metres, has an adductor strain.

That could hamper the 20-year-old in Wednesday’s semis and finals of the 100m, when he is likely to come up against the Evens favourite for the title, Britain’s Dwain Chambers.

But the injury is also thought to be a serious problem for Lemaitre’s hopes over 200m later in the week.

The first round of the 100m is tonight just after 6pm UK time.

Other news from the French team isof the fitness of Teddy Tamgho for the triple jump.

The bookies’ early odds-on favourite for the gold, Tamgho suffered a horrendous calf and hamstring injury at the French championships.

But he has told French journalists in Barcelona that he is fit and ready to jump “dix huit” – 18 metres.

We shall see – we get to see the triple jumpers, including Britain’s world champion, Phillips Idowu, in action in qualifying tonight from just after 7pm (UK time).

Tonight’s big final, the men’s 10,000m, has seen all the money going on to the slender shoulders of Mo Farah, of Britain.

Farah is now a best price of odds on 1-2 favourite with Victor Chandler and Bet365 – horribly short for such a tough race, over 25 laps or more than 6 miles in what is likely to be steamy heat. By mid-morning, it was 29 degrees in the Mont Juic Stadium.

Even Farah sounds a cautionary note when explaining how his No1 ranking in Europe this season, with his sub-27min 30sec clocking in a one-off race in cooler conditions earlier in the summer, carries less relevance tonight.

“It’s not about ranks, it’s not about times,” he said. “It’s about performance on the day and covering every angle and using the right tactics.”

Didnt hamper him too much. He won the Final. 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th finished with the same time. Chambers finished 5th.

dat nigga won da mudafukin final in 10.11…time cud been bettr

That supposed to be English?

wind was -1m/s

That 10.06s into a -1.2m/s wind was pretty impressive

Great race. Would have like to see Dwain do better though. Wonder if this kid could make the world final? What time do you guys think it will take to make it back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJnAQxGmqy8

Obikwelu - thought he retired

Lemaitre - lacking that powerful start. Chambers had the race won at half way, giant bear jumped on his back with 25 to go

All credit to Lemaitre, especially after his 0.224 reaction.

These guys are PRing like crazy but then don’t seem to take much time off…then injury. What exactly happened to Teddy? I’m a bit out of the loop lately.

He would have to have his A game. But right now I doubt it. In the semi the top 3 times would be faster than his PR.

YES, SO MUCH FOR THE ADDUCTOR INJURY. NOW HE’S TAKING IT TO THEM AROUND THE TURN…

Athletics-European sprint double bid on track, Lemaitre says
Thu, 29 Jul 22:07:00 2010

Buzz Up!

Newly-crowned European 100 metres champion Christophe Lemaitre does not believe fatigue will deprive him of a sprint double when he comes off the blocks in Friday’s 200 metres final.

The shy 20-year-old Frenchman, who stormed to victory in the 100 on Wednesday, appeared tired in Thursday’s 200 semi-final at a breezy Olympic Stadium after coming through his heat earlier in the day.

Lemaitre’s compatriots Martial Mbandjock and David Alerte also qualified for the final.

“My start was comfortably better than this morning but I didn’t do what I wanted on the bend,” the softly-spoken Lemaitre told reporters.

“Nonetheless I wasn’t concerned,” he added. “Tomorrow I will be better physically and with Martial and David we can make a big splash.”

Lemaitre had to work hard in his semi after Briton Christian Malcolm, running inside him, came off the bend in front.

The Frenchman was out of the top three and an automatic qualification spot at that point.

He switched up a gear in the straight and came through late to cross the line in the fastest qualifying time of 20.39 seconds with Malcolm second.

Norway’s Jaysuma Saidy Ndure won the other semi in a time of 20.50 seconds, just ahead of Britain’s Marlon Devonish.