Karate Speed Work

I am not terribly aware of the concept of sport forms (as i don’t know russian or any eastern european languages), other than what has been presented in Supertraining and from some of the other translated sources. The concept of purposely “ruining” sport form makes me very nervous, but having athletes burned out is far worse. (I know that burnout is a problem for MA athletes, especially OLY TKD which has a similar competition schedule to karate). Could you give an example of how this process works? I do like the plot.

Another thing, it might be a good idea to have athletes alternate events at non-higher level tourneys. (First tourney-Kumite, Second tourney-Kata), then one could have a longer block to work with.

Is there a “post-season” with tourneys, (a period with championship tourneys etc?) or a period with a greater concentraion of tourneys than another. A longer break could better allow for this process.

Just throwing ideas around. My computer has multiple personality disorder :slight_smile: (as my research doesn’t involve this stuff)…

I would avoid HI one-leg plyos, but I would incorporate one-leg easy zig-zag jumps, lateratl jumps etc (in easy fascion). It is highly discussionable to throw HI plyos in G or GS… Dont know!

I dont belive I saw anything about sport form in any wester textbook including the bible itself - supertraining…
To explain in more detail. Sport form is a phenomenon not well undestood. It can be splited into physical preparation, technical preparation, tactical preparation and most important mental preparation. The state of sport form is the state of maximal achievements (in a given season, thus it is a proces in the same time during athlete career). Sport form is more than the sum of its components! It is their harmony, integration, when everything fits in place…
Maybe I used anappropriate word “ruining”… You will not ruin anything, you will brake-up the sport forme not ruining it parts, just braking-up tuned athlete… This is done because trying to be in this state of maximal efficacy is not posible longer that 2- 2,5 month and it can lead to overtraining, burn-out etc. You must brake it (sport form) to integrate it when it neaded the most (comp). All the elements will be the same, just they will not be in harmony, because it is not needed at the moment!
Sport form may be synonim with wester term top-shape, but I believe you can be in top-shape but not producing max results… Thus sport form is more that top-shape!
After all, one stupid thing can cause you to exit from this superior state (fight with the coach/wife/girl/parent, problems at school, political situation etc).
The ratio of G/S is the very important because too early introduction of S means over G can lead to entering the state of sport form too early. This is why some soccer clubs play great friendly games before season, but when the season comes they suck… What is wrong? coach may ask, We did everything right!, , yes, but too soon! There is time and place for everything…
Dont be confused that when you are not in sport form that your abilities are decreased. NO! They are the same (nothing falls), just they arent in harmony…
It must be noticed, that team sport form is also bigger then the sum of individuals!
I hope , that this is little clearer…

Not a bad guess! Gojoshio-sho, one of my favourite katas! Very demanding, not flashy but strong and powerful.

Thanks for all suggestions - I will take time to digest before I reply in full.

As far as strength training goes would you recommend max-effort (1 - 3 rep) and ballistic exersises with no dynamic effort work (approx. 60% 1-rm)?

That is what i like about it. I feels very strong as a form. I need to talk to my uncle into teaching it to me again. :slight_smile:

That is the stone skinning of it.

If the athlete’s are ready for ME work, i would keep it in the 3-5RM range. I don’t think that 1RM work passes the risk/reward test. In addition, i would be really strict on form.

Have a look at www.shotokan-arts.com, small picture but you will get the idea.

I think the zig-zag lateral stuff might work as part of a warmup, else it seems to be covered in actual practice.

I think there is a small mention of it in supertraining, but i am not sure. (I should probably learn russian, as it is useful for reading a lot of research papers :slight_smile: ).Regardless, your post made a lot of sense. I think that describing it as harmony/dissonance is a good description. (The concept of purposely ruining something in training makes me queezy). Do you have any references on this that are translated? This sounds like something i should be reading more about.

Shall we get into optimizing this model into a particular set of athlete’s? I think that the ratio between G/S work is probably very dependant upon the qualification of the athletes.

Yes, you are probably right with the 1-RM work. Personally, I like to complete all my ME work in one session and the next session do all ballistic work (I can’t concentrate on more than one thing at a time!). At the moment I have been completing 2 ME sessions and 1 DE session (which I will change to a more ballistic session) as I feel that karate technique work at full speed is also somewhat ballistic. Any comments?

I will continue on proposed model of periodization (CSS) taking sport form into consideration.
As stated befor, sport form can lasts for about 2 – 2,5 months and this is the key issue to consider what are your G/GS/S ratio will be over the shorter beriod between two mathces (for this example less than 1 month).
So, if you are in state of sport form for the first match, and the second is so close that it falls in this 2 months, then, I would suggest an easy reload, but keeping the same G/GS/S ratio and hard work (with some fluctiations – waves)over the whole period between them with some tapering couple of day before second match (A picture).
The problem is, if you are unsure is your sport form lasts till the next comp. One reason is that you spend a lot of its time before the first match, so that you have „spend“ it for the second which is close. One option is to refresh the athelete with more G work, and this can cause sport form to last longer for about 0,5 month (B picture). If you have also spent these 0,5 month, then I will suggest a „fast breaking up“ up of a sport form similar to model with longer time lag between matches and then fast building up of sport form with gretar S volume emphasis (C picture). This situation is very dangerous, and it is a result of poor planning, so if the second match is important, fastly ruin the form and build it up again and hope for the best…

I hope you have now a clearer picture… This issue of sport forme is of our prime interest in training theory and should be considered as main goal of preparation…

NOTE: This is only a scetch, some ratios may be different, and curves should be smoothed out preventive „adaptive stiffness“. Just throwing out ideas, based on our teaching here, at my faculty…

I think there is a small mention of it in supertraining, but i am not sure. (I should probably learn russian, as it is useful for reading a lot of research papers ).Regardless, your post made a lot of sense. I think that describing it as harmony/dissonance is a good description. (The concept of purposely ruining something in training makes me queezy). Do you have any references on this that are translated? This sounds like something i should be reading more about.

Look at the breaking-up (or ruining) of sport form as a moving from 6th gear into 5th when driving a car… You are still “there” but not in top-shape which is bloody hard to maintain. Or you can look at it a takein the nitro out of a tuned car and saving it formost importan race…
Unfortunally, I have references only on serbian! I am not familiar with translated ones… And after all it is wery hard to create some controled scientific research to explore this phenomenon… (too lot of factors, which can only a good coach manage for the optimal resuslts). I asked my proffesor (who is good friend of Matveyev and Verkohoshansky) is he wiling to translate his book on english on e-book format, but he said that it is old and he should write revision and second part of the book… I will stand on his shoulders more on this, but would really love to know how much people are interested in reading this Theory of training (small book, very concise and wise). Maybe some deal with CF.com come in my mind…

What we are arguing here is that for karate trainig there is only a need for supplemental training via ME! All other things (DE, Balistic) comes from karate practice itself… no need to do it with barbells, dumbells etc! (some medball work is ok)

Exactly! G/S ratios should be optimized according to a lot of factors! What I presented here is a “general scetch”!
Average year ratio of G/S during atlete career is changeg from G dominat to S dominant. This is the basis of russian PASM (process of achieving sport mastery). Youth athletes are engaged into G means thus building the foundation for later more specific work, also they are multiface-prepared! Again, this doesnt mean that S means are not done. One thing which I encounter when talking to my colegues is that they have dominant “binary logic” - yes, or no! But, coach should adapt to “grey logic”, where there is a continuum between yes and no, black and white. This is why I love Fuzzy logic by Zadeh!

Full speed technique is ballastics in its own right. As long as the ME works is not interfering/taking up too many reserves, it looks good. Depending on how close you are to a match/what the athlete’s needs are you might want to reduce/combine some of the sessions. Just be flexible to adapt session to each athlete.

As Moody would say “Constant Vigilance!” :slight_smile: (Harry Potter).

Regarding the sport form reference, thanks for the clairification.

Fuzzy logic is neat. I think the world would be a much better place if people understood more of both statistics and math. (The belief of anyone who speaks of certain equations with affection :slight_smile: ).

What we are arguing here is that for karate trainig there is only a need for supplemental training via ME! All other things (DE, Balistic) comes from karate practice itself… no need to do it with barbells, dumbells etc! (some medball work is ok)[/QUOTE]

Maybe you are right, but you could argue then that there is no need for supplemental ME training in many sports. From a personal point of view power of technique is definately improved via ME work as is injury prevention via strengthening of antagonists.

That would be my current point of view and I am not sure is it going to changed…
DE can be done to facilitate development of ME (as used by WESTSIDE along with increasing speed to pass “sweet spot” ), but before using it would question myself is more strength neccesery for particular athlete? Or is it optimally developed? There is a line, where more increase in strength can affect recovery, practive and training time (for practice), so this should be considered!

Great to find someone like you quark… someone who read math just for fun :slight_smile:
You wouldnt believe me that I did it too (but inluding physics “Life science physics” - great freakin book, cybernetics, fuzzy etc.).

Hey guys, you didnt comment the models I proposed! (For who am I drawing this anyway huh? :slight_smile: )
I am in process of writing an article about sport form phenomenon, its theory and practice, mostly quoting books from my faculty, because I noticed that you “westerns” arent familiar with it inspite of gross translated literature! This would be my gift to a western man :smiley:
Just kiddin, it is going to be copy-paste :slight_smile:

Sorry, your proposed model of G-GS-S looks good to me. With many of our squad now competing every month, your suggestions may help.

Constantly practicing competition sport form will eventually lead to accommodation, as it will with other forms of exercise. Therefore, it makes sense to break it up via general work before rebuilding. Or another option with karate maybe to practice kata other than that used in competition, or do you think that is still too specific?

Dont know really… another kata may be practiced but in reduced volume! Your goal is to slighty “break” their form, to get them out of the “tuned state”, and how are you going to do it… your problem :slight_smile:
You should “monitor” them and see what is happening with their sport form… if they are going up (tuned up), something have to change (we are talking about breaking up of a sport form), and if it going too radipdly down, again something sucks! So, you should have to find optimum G/GS/S volumes for achievinng your goals…
I am really happy if I helped!

Sorry for delay. Thank you for your replies - you have given me much to think about (and try!).

So how has it been going?