Justin Gatlin 10.34 -1.7m/s

Gatlin wins second race of comeback
28-year-old former Olympic champ won 100m in 10.17 seconds
By Associated Press | Posted: Aug 8, 11:43a ET
Justin Gatlin wins comeback in Rakvere
August 3, 2010: Justin Gatlin wins his comeback 100m race in 10.24 seconds in Rakvere, Estonia.

TALLINN, Estonia (AP) – Justin Gatlin won his second 100-meter race in a week at the Ergo Games on Sunday during his low-key return to track after a four-year doping ban.

The 28-year-old former Olympic champion finished in 10.17 seconds, beating fellow American Justin Williams by 0.08 seconds at the small meet in the Estonian capital. Aleksandr Linnik of Belarus was third in 10.59.

Gatlin got off to a sluggish start, but his acceleration at the halfway point helped him to pull away from the rest of the field and finish the race comfortably in first place.

“I think it was a good race,” Gatlin told The Associated Press. “My body’s been aching a bit due to a lot of training.”

The sprinter made his comeback at a small meet in the northeastern Estonian town of Rakvere on Tuesday, winning in 10.24.

Gatlin won gold in the 100 at the 2004 Athens Olympics in 9.85, then tested positive in April 2006 for excessive testosterone.

Gatlin is likely to next race at the Joensuu Games in Finland on Aug. 21.

It’s been around 30 degrees for several weeks in Joensuu with a new record of 37 degrees that beat the old “national record” from 1914.
At the moment it’s warm enough…

Gatlin will be racing against Steve Mullings (SB 10.03), very interesting stuff! I hope they’ll get a nice tail wind and go sub-10.10.

When???..

21st August @ Joensuu Elite Games, Finland… as stated above.

http://www.joensuugames.com/index.php?page=athletes

It’s today, they will run twice.

Gatlin runs 10.28 in Finland for 3rd win of return

edit. Mullings didn’t run because of injury in Zürich Diamond League. Gatlins 10.28 (-2.0) is not too bad, he can obviously run under 10.10 if there’s tailwind and more serious competition.

Trusting to JRM, that’s about 10.05 with a +2.0m/s.

What’s with Seagrave and all this “technique work”? The only result of it I see is 9.7 guys going 10.2.

:D:D

Ha! The truth always comes out.

If he had more races he’d run under 10s with a tailwind. That’s not bad going.

I remember reading a quote with Seagrave saying Gatlin is “galloping” once he hits 50 metres. Yet his first 50 metres have been pretty piss poor so far, and the only time he surges, he looks like long stridin’ Gatlin of old from about 50 metres onward. If I coached a guy that galloped to 9.7x and an Olympic title, I mightlet him gallop 'til the cows came home.

Does he have the strength/power to run like he used to? For a whole heap of reasons, he is a different athlete to the one that was a 9.8 guy.

I’m not a coach, nor do I have the experience like many if you coaches on here, but seriously, is it THAT drastic to go from a 9.8 guy to a low 10.1??

With all due respect, give me your “heap of reasons” why he (or any other athlete) can’t run a mere 9.9-9.8 when he’s already at 10.1.

Here’s why:

1 from 9.50-9.59
2 from 9.60-9.69
16 from 9.70-9.79
86 from 9.80-9.89
358 from 9.90-9.99
1301 from 10.00-10.09

With the exception of the 16-2-1 at the top, there become roughly 4x fewer performances every time you get a 1/10th faster. Gatlin has run 10.1, which has been done 5000-10000 times, based on the above pattern. Running 9.9 has been done 358 times - obviously it is much more difficult to do.

Are the above stats accurate? BTW there is a huge difference between 10.1 and 9.7 - probably as much of a difference as going from 11.0 to 10.1.

ahh, I see, that’s a nice break down for me. I can understand now.

They are accurate as of today, yes. For clarification, that is the number of times that time has been run, NOT the number of people who have done it.

Where did you get the stats from?

Peter Larsson AKA Pela’s All Time Athletics.