Juggler's Training Journal

Aw shucks guys :o

Damn that was frustrating. I was too tired from lifting to do anything, so i thought I’d listen to some tunes on aol video. Simple, right? Too tired for anything, just some tunes, sounds easy enough, except for the first time ever, it wouldn’t play and I f—ed with it for awhile till I said the hell with it, I’ll just listen to netscape radio, except now THAT’S f—ed up, it’s “upgraded” and “improved” which of course means that now it sucks ass and I’ll likely never use it again, ugly ugly interface, visually noisy and no presets anymore unless you – yes, Virginia – log in!!! We would have a better planet had aol never existed. All this after lifting, too gassed to DEAL w/ all that shit, good thing I have a little music oin my comp, except THAT didn’t want to work at first. I may be old-fashioned, but if something works 100% fine, why why why why do people want to ruin it???

Lifts were okay, 5x5 SQ, plus rowing which I’ve been moving up the weight on. Someone on Power & Bulk made the point that “assistance” work isn’t the way to think of it. People tend to hit the main lifts hard and go through the motions on other stuff. I realized I’ve been doing that, just half-assing it through rowing and some other stuff. No more. They’re lifts, so do them like it. Not that I’ll ever work up to a max on rowing, but you get the point.

Juggling had to be kind of rushed since I had to go late due to work. Did manage to catch the first one with lefthanded 4/1 so :slight_smile: Was a little worked since I had to do it after lifting, but I realized the ideal hotness for numbers is more than I thought it was, in that I was closer to it after squatting than my usual warmup! So I have to get close to that hot without spending all that energy. Maybe a couple sets of a little heavier squats than I was doing for warmup. I’m so tempted to get numbers clubs now. Oh, yeah, I talked w/ The Man and he said my three stage warmup is good in his view. He said that I should go with logic as to what makes sense for 8 and not follow these other two guys who are among the very few to do anything w/ 8 clubs. I know, I haven’t done 6 yet, but when I do I’ll definitely attempt 8. I have to see if there’s anything there, because if there is, I can “retire” happy. A flash would put me, for a time, among the world’s elite club jugglers. I ain’t there, but catching the first one shows me that a 4/1 flash is doable. Big big difference when it comes to doing both hands, but w/ numbers clubs it may be possible for me. It’s been in my brain since I saw Darrin Marriot do it a few years ago. I’m so frelling tempted to buy 8 numbers clubs. Time to figure out how to afford it.

I went to a party tonight, which may have been my last one ever. I am sooooooooooooooo depressed and lonely, why oh why do I go to parties, I always feel horrible afterwards.

I am still torn on the numbers clubs. I change my mind hourly. Basically, if I get them and it helps for 6 then great. I think I should get them because I don’t think I have the desire to keep on long enough to get it at the rate I’m going. Plus, at this point it would already probably bring no joy, just a sense of relief. I should speed up progress before I hate juggling completely.

I think I have to get them, and that will be that. Qualify 6, see if 8 is at all possible, and sell/give them away and be done with it. I’m sick of it. I’m tired of being me, and part of what I’m tired of is beating my head against walls. Plus I screwed up w/ my website, no big deal except I see NO sign of progress there either. Actually, there is no sign of progress anywhere in my life, and juggling is starting to make me feel more pathetic than I already am.

““juggling is starting to make me feel more pathetic than I already am.””

Well at least you don’t run circles around a rubber oval. That always makes me feel a bit dumb. You’ve got hand-eye coordination like crazy! If anyone attacks, you can just chuck some pins at their head Blue-Rajja status.

^^^I’d like to do just that sometimes!

I ordered the 75s last night. I actually did a search on a juggling group and the first post I saw was my own asking the same damn question! So I figured it’s time to go to Bolivia already and stop yappin about it. Naturally I dreamt that I got them and they sucked. I have some feedback from two of the guys who have used them with success, and they said that the 75s did help for 6, so here’s hoping.
About the other stuff I wrote last night, I realized today that I’m Mr. Curse the Darkness, and I don’t usually make the efforts to FIX the damn situations that I go on about at 3 am. So, every day I’ll work towards solutions to these issues. It feels hopeless, but then I may be wired to feel hopeless so that ain’t the compass I need to be using.

I am still trying to fathom juggling 6 pins (I believe that is your goal). The touch on the toss (I’m sure you guys have better names for it) must be insane.

Progress will come, I’m sure. It always comes in bursts and then stagnation it seems. Good luck with it, one of the harder working people on this board it seems.

Thanks for the support. Today I had nothing, as in nothing, in the weightroom. I think I may be getting sick or my body is fighting it off. I’m sniffly like crazy and sluggish as hell. It’s getting worse as the day goes on, hopefully I can fight it off with a good night’s sleep. I’ll try again tomorrow.

I halfway think I’m a little bipolar. I know I’m not the full monte, but maybe I have a little of it. When I’m down, I’m so different, and when I’m up, I can’t even fathom how I get stuck in the black bleakness. I have considered getting on something, as in going to a shrink and seeing what I can try. My downs suck so bad.

Turns out I was right about the sick part :frowning:
But I’m over it now. I’m going to just say the last week of missed lifting is a deloading week, yeah that’s it. So today I was upping the reps and will add weight/lower reps each week for the next 3. I’ve been doing 5x5, so today’s sets of 8 were a little odd: zip zip zip zip zip uhh uhhh uhhhh. Guess I got used to doing 5s.

I’m eager to try the new clubs and see. I hope hope hope they are as good as I think they might be.

“As you sow so shall you reap” --Marcus Cicero

Tee-hee, I didn’t get your “Zip zip” reference until afterwards made me giggle. Tee-hee. :stuck_out_tongue:

Suicide rate skyrockets when medication is applied. Keep that in mind. If you were to stop exercising regularly, just think how much worse your downs would be -without your daily endorphine fix.

^^^Actually that was accidental. I do that all the time though – say something innocuous then realize it wasn’t, quite. In the Air Force I told a Sgt. the following, intending to say, you can just do this job yourself (it was his job he was foisting off on me) or get someone to do it whose actual job it is. That’s what I had in mind, honest, when I came out with, “If you don’t like it you know what you can do” :eek:

Damn, I do know that, but also some people report less suicidal thinking w/ meds. I’m really not sure, I need to do research but it’s been a long time even to get to the point of considering it. I just wonder if I can get better at some issues without some assistance. I go back and forth. I’m kind of at the point where I’m ready to just see a doc, try something, and see how it goes.

I’m looking for a cheap video camera. I’ll wait till after Christmas and see what’s what. I have to show you guys my mad new skillz :cool:

“There are times when all the world’s asleep, the questions run too deep . . .” Listening to radio while posting, let’s see. Did my 1st practice w/ the new clubs and immediately smoked my PR with 3/1. Also 4/1 seems doable for at least a flash. Tried 6, but couldn’t release well, just have to get used to them. Didn’t get squatting in dammit, since I couldn’t find a bit of blank tape for Smallville so I watched the first half before I found one and recorded the rest. I’ll hit it tomorrow. Oh, yeah, 4 felt easy as hell after gunning up 4/1. Hmmm.

See, I thought I’d have time to both juggle and lift yesterday. I goofed on that. I did do both today, juggling was nowhere really, not sure why except maybe I need to alternate days of big numbers with sort of tempo days. Hit a PR in SQ, yawn.

I find it very difficult to do the away from the gym things needed. It’s tough to be self-disciplined when there’s no results to show for it. But if I don’t stay hungry there never will be . . .

Wow, it’s interesting how what you write affects your world. I said I have to stay hungry, so guess what movie came up on cable? Watched it, actually never saw it before.
Worlds shape reality. Accordingly: I’ll be a pimpin millionaire in 06.

I’ve been thinking about what, I say what, has been holding back my progress. I have a possible solution which I’ll get on and stick to right away. I’ll keep it to myself for now. It all depends on what question you ask. If you say, “Why do I suck?”, you’ll get answers. If you ask, “What is every thing I can realistically do that might help?”, you get more useful answers. I thought about Dan John’s credo “the body is one piece”. I realized that there are many subtle factors at work in juggling(surprise :rolleyes: ) and I may be thinking things aren’t so important that are. So, a new leaf. Less negativity, more specific notes to myself. The unconscious is a factory and you’re the foreman. Just be careful what you ask for, they’ll get to work creating it.

I’m tired as hell right now, just got back from the mechanic and he said my brakes, which were making noises such that I was afraid to drive, were just fine! There are a few situations in life where you can be confident you’re getting the truth. When a mechanic says there’s nothing wrong and sends you on your way without charge :slight_smile: , you can be pretty sure he ain’t lyin.
Not sure when I’ll train today, early or late. Early means I can certainly get there, but quality will be lacking. Late means the gym might be packed, but I’ll do quality if I get in there. Hmmm. Will veg now and see how tired I really am.

Haven’t had good quality this past week partly due to cat sitting. However I have reflected on my training (good time for it, right?) and realized what an idiot I’ve been. I apply very little of my training knowledge in the gym. I think it’s b/c I get either impatient or frustrated or both, but damn. When I think about an actual week’s worth of training and look at what I actually do, I wonder who the hell is driving the bus.

But I have a goal and a time: I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly am going to either qualify 6 or flash 8 before Groundhog Day Jugglers Fest. A tall order, but it can be done. I’ll make that my mantra if I start getting off the path: Groundhog Day Groundhog Day Groundhog Day. Doing 6 for 12 is far more likely than 8 for 8, but working 8 will help 6.

Just got a call from The Man wishing me a happy new year and renewing his offer to have me down to train. We talked tech just a bit and in response to some question I had, he said, “this is why I like talking to you”. :cool: He thinks I have good ideas on juggling, even though we don’t agree on some issues. When one of the greats in your sport takes the time to call you . . . :smiley: It helps reassure me that I’m not totally out of it.

Cat sitting is over so I’m back into a more regular routine, which is good for training. Cat Guy is pissed because I altered his litter box setup but the cat was making a freaking mess! He’s real picky and anal so I suppose it was forseeable he’d be unhappy. The thing to do is of course to do it, not tell him at all, then switch it back before he comes home. :rolleyes:

Practice today sucked, and I think it’s due to not enough carbs. I changed my diet some, so maybe I don’t have enough. I’ll see about that when I eat more carbs before practice tomorrow. I might even try again later today if I feel up to it. I’m going to be more rigorous about alternating hard and easy days --I often have let myself push too much on easy days. I have to go easier on easy day, and really push the numbers envelope on hard days.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to take a break from juggling. I realized today that I’m much farther from 6 than I thought, and practice takes a lot out of me. So I’m going to shelve it for now since there are many other things which are more important which I could be doing with that time and energy.

The one possible way I would continue is if The Man actually does have me down to train. I will pounce on that if it happens, but since he’s been dangling that on and off for five years I doubt it’s ever going to happen.

I did take a mental break and really focused on my website Friday, but I had a very disappointing weekend there so I stated thinking of juggling again :rolleyes: I’m taking a few days off (will still lift though) and we’ll see. There are days when it seems right around the corner, but damn, I said that 6 months ago. Am I just fooling myself or is it really as close as I sometimes think :confused: I’ll just make this week a kind of SPP/recovery week combined, as in increase general UB work but lay off throwing.

It seems I need 6 in a real way, that I need there to be some frigging thing in my life that works. So I’m back on it, after being sooooooooooooo not on it Fri-Sun.
Monday at club meeting I tried some guys little kid clubs and damn, they’d work for numbers, did 5 catches of 3/1 easy as pie no warmup. So I’m gonna get them, yet more money and more stuff to lug around. But if it gets me there, then so be it. I’m playing poker more to fund all this equipment-buying frenzy.
As far as my site goes, I’m gonna rebuild and try again. I know there’s gold in that stream: I’ll keep panning it.

“Good. Better. Best. Never let it rest, 'til your good is Better and your better is BEST!” --Ricky Hayman in Holy Man

After spinning my head for the last hour I had to get up. Should have earlier, as I was making myself nuts. In addition to the usual stuff, money, women, suicide, etc., I’ve been thinking about whether I should keep training juggling or not, and I change my thinking constantly. Basically I toggle back and forth between the views of the last few posts.

It takes so much. If I knew how long it will take I could make a desision peacefully. If I knew 6 would take two weeks, I’m bang on it. If I knew I’d take four months, I’d bag it immediately. So I don’t know. I hit a near PR last time, plus I tried those different clubs, so there’s some light, but practice takes so much out of me . . .

I know success w/ juggling isn’t going to make much difference in life, but it would be nice to get it, and not much else is working for me. I just don’t know. I’d like to have some super-coach scan me or whatever and say where I am. Blah blah bluuuuuuuuuuuh …

Hey man, keep the head up.
If something is too easy in life then it aint worth a damn.
Just before xmas this girl i was mad about for ages told me she was mad about me!! Turned me right off her (obviously starting the next morning!!)
You know what i mean?

Its january, not an easy time to get motivated but you gotta struggle on. Soon the weather will change and you’ll be out in the sun impressing the ladies. It’ll be all worth it then and you know it…