Is the sarcoplasm usefull to speed?

Extremely interesting post. I actually came across the papers Nikoluski mentioned a few days ago when I was doing a google search looking for papers correlating 40yd times to 100m times. Didn’t find that, but found the papers mentioned. I scanned them quickly and must have missed the part about the rep ranges but I do remember the part about upper thigh hypertrophy. I’m going to read these papers again…this is a most interesting discussion because our current rep range on most primary lifts is 2-3.

I thought Type I > Type II conversion, and vice versa, wasn’t possible?

What do you mean by “buffer”?

Do you mean they are not doing the set to failure?

E.g;
8-10 reps with a weight you could do 10 - 12 reps with?

What does “BUFFER” mean guys?

yeah you have the right idea. Leave a little in the tank during each set.

Hello Mortac8,

If you read my past posts you will realise that I am into fiber conversion and its causes. I have come to a conclusion after studying hypertrophy and fiber conversion. Fiber conversion from IIb to II a is NOT A BAD THING in fact you WANT IT, YOU NEED IT. Hypertrophy of prime movers in an event is needed especially the hamstrings in sprinting. Rest, such as that experienced in the 10 day taper will take care of re-transformation. You will get an overshoot of IIb during the taper. Muscles are plastic. Some people are SO lucky because their make up allows some slow fiber to convert to type IIa or at least mimic the qualities of IIa twitch times. Train properly don’t be afraid of, or worry about fiber conversion ( as I was when I came across the phenomenon almost 10 years ago), it is a good adaptation and it is needed. Its a case of one step back two steps forward.

Muscles are very plastic and will change according to demands. Bi directional conversion where type I converts to IIa and IIb also to IIa has been documented in humans and is one of the distinguishing features of talented athletes. In fact, physiologists were disappointed when they managed to take biopsy samples from a group of good sprinters and discovered a large majority of IIa and hardly any IIb.

My limited understanding of a fiber type drift/shift from IIa to IIb is only possible via complete rest from previous strength/power training or at least tapered training.

What I recall reading years ago, was that the most effective, productive strength programs of even top olympic weightlifting teams and athletes still resulted in mainly IIa results from biopsies. Only after a period of either complete rest or significantly tapered training, did this shift to IIb take place.

Perhaps the article is still here but I recall the article by Carl Johnson on his former athlete Jonathan Edwards getting into this subject(fiber shift) a bit due to JE’s forced long layoff from training due to Epstein-Barr syndrome(?) years back.

Ironically, there is an article on the training of yet another triple jumper, Jadel Gregorio of Brazil,(just recently jumped 58’ 8 3/4")which discusses the same. Both make reference to the work of Gunter Tidow on the subject. I do believe the article by Gregorio’s coaches Nelio Moura and Tania Fernandes de Paula Moura was/is available at coachr.org.