Invitation to CLJACKSON | Debate

One problem though is knowing how to adjust. How do you know what to change and how much? It would be nice to see what CF actually does with someone who isn’t elite. What adjustments would/does Charlie make? This would be more reliable, even as a guide to be adjusted to another athlete, than trying to adjust his elite group’s whole deal to a totally different situation.

The Jane Project does that, the Med Ball and drills DVDs are deliberately done with non elite athletes in real time. Regardless of who is used it will never suit everyone.

TC I didn’t mean do it right now, just that from what I have seen you are successfully applying CF methods to a wide range of athletes.

The Jane Project and the Med ball Drills yes- though the Drills download is with a 20.80 sprinter

Adjusting the training plans to individuals in the key, and the athlete, even the oldest and most experienced, are not always able to do that for themselves. There are many roads to Rome, and you have to come up with your own workout progression, depending on your athlete’s events, history, goals, external factors… Training is not science, if not one could build champions like a car factory.

CF has 40 years of experience at for all levels of performance, has known the greatest and the worst in the sport so you’d better sit and listen. You can be lucky that he is willing to produce books and DVDs, i’ve never been deceived in following some of CF’s principles on various item for speed endurance, max speed developement, tempo or tapering. Each coach should become expert of his own training plan, but listening to people who’ve been there doesn’t hurt. It’s the purpose of this forum, i think, to share experiences and ideas. How many successful coaches share on forums? Dan Pfaff did it last month on a canadian site it was great but it was just a week dialogue. CF forum opened in 2002 i think and is still running…

As for the books and DVDs, learn everything you can but do only what is necessary for your athletes. His products suit for all training age and level and CLJ you can’t blame a DVD for your hamstring problems unless you use it as a knife on your leg. You better see a doctor first and then a coach to evaluate then training elements and adjust them for you.

I forgot about Fundamentals 1, the athletes in that (incl. Jane again) don’t appear to be elite level.

We develop our products with the idea that you (the athlete or coach) use the information in a modular way. While we’d like to create a “silver bullet” product for everyone, regardless of skill to use to better themselves, this simply isn’t possible.

The best approach is to determine your ambitions clearly, all our products won’t work for everyone. Once you have your needs accurately assessed, check out a product that we offer that best matches those needs.

Our “foundation” product is CFTS, this is the first piece in understanding the CF models. It is a lofty read and we suggest that you interact with us and other CF community members to best enjoy and get the most out of the CF training system. After you get through that, many paths open up for you depending on your needs.

Lastly, we have this sparkling resource you are currently reading to support you in everything you are undertaking. If you have a question please just ask us; we’re here to help.

Rupert & Team
CharlieFrancis.com

Ok, the first time I used CFs short to long set up(as I understood it) I had a bad year. For the entire indoor season i could not get past 6.90 for 60m(my pr was 6.70). Key point, being that I was coaching my self, there was not much timing taking place. The next year I did a lot of timing, not for myself but for a female athlete I started to work with. Timing alone made a big difference in the succes of the same program. It provided direct feedback on what we were doing. When her times started to go backwards I knew I was screwing up(not the best way to do things). Most of the things I would have overridden as an athlete (I was ready to go every day) I could not as a coach. Especially when i had a clock telling me things were not right. One or the best way to know if adjustments are needed is to but a clock on your speed, speed endurance, and special endurance runs. If they are not going foward make some changes. Btw, the girl ran a pr that year 7.24 to 7.22. This year I did a little combo of L-S and S-L. I got the idea after reading through KitKat’s 400m thread. She ran 7.1$.
Again, make the adjustments if the speed elements are not moving foward

CLJACSON04,

Are you saying that you think you should only train 3 or 2 Days a week if you don’t have all the regerative facilities availible? Just want to get a clearer picture of what you are saying?

What would this look like?

I think the products that Charlie offers, along with the absolute ‘completeness’ of his training philosophy, are superb.

Understandably, there are some frustrations, but that is a limitation of the medium and definetly not CFs rationale.

As Charlie points out, the information is a guide and requires adjustment to suit the individual - but this can be a difficult process for coaches and athletes who want to test run the methodology in its completeness. Charlie is the master of his programs, and we can all appreciate the reluctance to tamper with them!

I would be interested to hear your guidelines for adjusting the GPP template Charlie;
Obviously the less elite athlete can afford less priceseness in there training, but what adjustments would you make as the expected performance level drops to 10.5, 11.0 (men).

The less elite athlete is limited by work capacity/tolerance, but then also has a less ability to tax the CNS. Further, specific to the GPP, the shorter acceleration period would lead to less distance required on the hill reps - how would this effect total volume?

It would be interesting to hear the adjustments made to this program by members, (relative to performance levels).

TC,
I’d like to see how you adjust for the level of athletes you work with, when you get a chance.
Thanks.

I think he mention only 2 high int days, < tempo vol and other elements like med ball etc and < intensity limit for the runs.

I’m writing it all up, hopefully i’ll have it done by the end of the month.

ok, thanks a lot.

TC,

You have mentioned elsewhere that you only use hills out to 30m - can you briefly explain how this might effect total session volume, as prescribed in the GPP DVD?

Can you all take a look at the subject title of this thread?

Thanks

Rupert
CharlieFrancis.com