Interview with Tudor Bompa

Just like when Clyde Hart says he doesn’t believe in peaking - MJ, Warnier and Richards all set PBs (or WRs) either in Olympics, World Champs or World Cups.

I’d like to put some light on a fact. When bolt goes 150 or 250 with 85% effort, does not mean that he doesn’t do starts or sections to 60 meters with maximum effort or 95% effort. A difference between the 100% and 95% is really large … but we can still speak about maximum. Let’s say Bolt is able to run 60 meters to 6.40-6.50 right now. Which is for 95% 6.73-6.84, which should not be for him any problem. More jogging… :slight_smile:
If you remember the document on HSI, and there were training where both Mo and Ato went flying 30 m sections and were run very fast, I would say with 100% efford.

It would but likely not as much once the amount of contrast possible becomes smaller. If it was an intermediate level athlete, I’d only use the vert stim.

Sorry, but what are you talking about? This doesn’t really relate to anything in my post at all.

Sure, I imagine he is doing starts. As does everyone, even those who follow Long to Short typically do plenty of starts or acceleration work (in some form) from day 1. What that doesn’t cover is the fact that the VAST MAJORITY of the work seen is not speed work (speed work as in things that will be targeting maximum velocity or even SE, not just acceleration work) and it is work in the 90% area, not the 95% or even above region.

I don’t understand your comment on the 60s or why you are mentioning HSI here. Interesting to note though is that nobody has seen these 60s and Stephen Francis specifically doesn’t do them. Not to say nobody is doing them, but if they had such a great prevalence in the programs in comparison to some of the other work, they would have probably been seen by now. I am interested that a large amount of the work we have seen are things that are slower, albeit still quick (90% is still pretty quick). They take fair rests and don’t go too overboard on volume, but it is quite a bit away from the 100% type stuff.

Overspeed as I use it is wind assistance, not towing etc. In any event, my point about safety extends to both training and to the races themselves. If you are sub max all the time in training there is a significant jump between what your body is trained to accept and what it will be exposed to in races- that is where the risk comes in from the volume side, assuming you haven’t already built up a tolerance to meet speed in the past.
as for the combo stimulus, many groups use a training approach that replicates this (Speed, SE, off etc) so it might not be too big a stretch for them IF the first intensity stimulus is extremely limited in breadth (1 or 2 x flying 20m as the session for example)

lol… video of usain running 60s in a workout 2 days before ostrava

//youtu.be/ <object width=“425” height=“344”><param name=“movie” value=“http://www.youtube.com/v/m8ROOamlSXs&hl=en&fs=1&”></param><param name=“allowFullScreen” value=“true”></param><param name=“allowscriptaccess” value=“always”></param><embed src=“http://www.youtube.com/v/m8ROOamlSXs&hl=en&fs=1&” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=“always” allowfullscreen=“true” width=“425” height=“344”></embed></object>

Besides the fact that that wasn’t 60m (not sure where you got that distance from) the discussion is about the majority of the work they are doing and more specifically the work that has been seen and is supposed to be in preparation for the major meets (ie the workout PJ posted before). I am sure they do starts and probably do some 60s at some point, but most of the workouts shown are not filled with MAXIMAL 60s, but with work that is well submax–often below 95%, which is the whole point I was making in my post.

I read on another site it was timed 60s, but looks more like 50s. Regardless, just something to add on.

Count the number of strides. He does 41 or so in a 100m race and he did 20 or less (depending on when you want to say he shut it down) in that video, so we’re talking 40m or so, could even be less (41 strides in a 100m, but the ones after 50m are significantly longer with ones at the beginning significantly shorter, so more plenty more steps for the first 50m).

Okay, let say that my PB over 100 meters is 10 flat. Can you, please ,advise me how I could get to 9.8? Jogging, run 400 meters in 55 and do some lifting in the gym? :cool:

Nah, do 10x200 in 28 rest 2mins. Make sure its on grass and eat your yams.

In all seriousness, if you look at what I have been posting, they are questions given the context of what is known and what has been seen, not a prescription for success. Maybe you missed that part.

I only went by time and general assumption. Regardless it doesnt matter.

I also dont think we should act like we know everything, we get a couple workouts, but its just that… couple workouts. Not a weekly template.
Just a little thing from MVP, from what someone told me on elitetrack, MVP does do some speed work over 50m-80m. Yes I know, franno saying no 60s or etc.

Please, do not copy Hart’s training. I know what are you talking about. However, even MJ did a lot of thinks over short distances and pretty fast. But Hart’s boys arent same like guys under 10 or even under 9.8. And for that you need to get 60m under 6.5 and running 10m under 0.85 and 10x200m in 28 is not good for that…

Having trained in Jamaica with Simeon Williamson, the British 100 metres champion, last winter, Powell believes sprinters from these shores are lazy. “When Simeon started doing practice he was actually dying,” Powell said. “It was the first time he’d trained that hard. We do lots of over-distance running so you build up serious lactic acid in your legs — 200s, 400s, 600s.”

Christ you don’t get it. Perhaps it is a language barrier, I don’t know.

So do you think that as a sprinter moves closer to running elite times that there should be a gradual shift away from the percentage of work done that puts an emphasis on height (overspeed) and a slightly higher percentage of work towards breadth? Not that you are entirely eliminating either, but just general shift the amount of each type of work?

He shut off effort at 5.7 to 5.8 sec from first motion. That’s not 40m
From first motion, they’d do about 6.2 sec for a 60m and allowing for lifting off the gas before the line…

Hard to answer that specifically because both ends are stressful but if you think of our final taper stimulus workout (4 x 30 bl st, 80, 100, 120, 150) it is an expansion of breadth based on speeds achieved in an earlier phase of the S-to-L approach.

charlie i remember you stating your athletes were able to perform in races as what they were doing was no different to that in training, this i strongly believe in.

if the training was geared toward submax surely the race stimulas to the body would cause major down time after each performance or even injury.

Charlie would or have you used an o/s stim as part of a taper to a major comp?

I’m curious as to your thoughts about how you would do the vertical-horizontal combination. Personally, I do 4X60/300+200+100 on back-to-back days early in SPP2 for the reasons Verkhoshansky lists (he has quite a discusssion about maximizing stimulus and protein synthesis in one of his papers). Would you consider adding a vertical stimulus to the 4X30+80+100+120+150? If so, any thoughts as to how?

Regarding using contrast as part of the combination, when I first saw Loren’s contrast stuff about 5 years ago, I followed it 2 days later with a workout like 2X4X100 (which is admittedly the hardest workout John Smith does)…and injured my hamstring on the very next workout. So, I think I’d be VERY cautious about using contrast as part of any combination approach; It is a very large stimulus and requires appropriate recovery methods. And I think there are some very valid comments about people going too far employing contrast methods. My experience thus far is that almost all the MaxV gain appears after one or two sessions and after that you are taking incremental risk for less than incremental gain.