Indonesian runs 10.17

The fastest runner in Southeast Asia gets even faster

Mon, Dec 14, 2009
The Jakarta Post/Asia News Network

Not only did he triumphantly defend his gold in the prestigious men’s 100-m dash at the Main Stadium of the National Sports Complex in Vientiane on Saturday, Suryo Agung Wibowo also broke his 2007 SEA Games record and the 20-year-old national record of Mardi Lestari.

The 26-year-old Suryo Agung Wibowo, who timed 10.25 seconds at the Thailand SEA Games two years ago to be dubbed the fastest man in Southeast Asia, surpassed with a new record of 10.17, which also broke a 1989 national record belongs to the country’s track-and-field legend Mardi Lestari.

“Alhamdullilah, this is trully a bless from God that I can break two records all at once,” said Suryo right after his victory on Saturday.

“With all the minim preparation the past year, I was previously only set to time 10.20 seconds. I have to admit that this race caused me more anxiety than the race two year ago,” said Suryo, who changed his outfit to a T-shirt with “I got gold” written on it.

“I am grateful for the prayers of my most loved ones in Indonesia,” said Suryo, who in the 2007 SEA Games also dominated the 200-m dash with 20.76 seconds in record.

Meanwhile, 20-year-old Fadlin, who also participated in the men’s 100-m dash, snatched the bronze medal in his maiden SEA Games appearance.

“I was only targeted for a gold in the 4x100-m relay, while in the 100-m dash I was only set for improving my own best record,” said Fadlin.

The silver medal went to W. Sondee of Thailand, who recorded 10.30 seconds.

This guy knows how to celebrate .LOL… pix in “analyse this”

The head track coach in Indonesia is one of the most successful pro runners in Australian history - Robert Ballard.

Ballard at 44 years old won the 120m ‘Bay Sheffield’ in South Australia in 2008.

Among his many achievements are a win in the Botany Bay Gift, at the time the richest pro race of its type in the world with a first prize of $50,000, 2nd in the 1986 Stawell Gift, 3 times winner of the backmarkers invitation at Stawell and winner of numerous other pro-running Gifts.

Robert also ran in the Seoul Olympics in the 4 x 400m relay.

Have heard he is doing a terrific job in Indonesia and this report certainly confirms it.

Successfull pro runners learn patience, must have carried through to his coaching

THE SEA Games were in LAOS. Pix from the closing ceremony.

So Youngy, does Rob live in Indonesia full time now? What part of Indonesia?

I believe Ballard is based in Jakarta. I spoke to him briefly on New Year’s Day at the Maryborough Gift meet.

He has married an Indonesian lass and is very happy & settled in Indonesia. He’s been living there for three years.

He said he is keen to bring the 10.17 man out to Australia for the major pro meets later in the season and the nationals in Perth.

Rob ran in the Bay Sheffield (28/12) & the Maryborough Gift but is on tight marks now days! He did make the final of the Maryborough 300m vets race off scratch. A South Aussie female vet won off 60m in sub 35s.