In relays do you choose fastest 4 runners or sprinters with best baton passing?

I’m going to add that one to my list of things to try out!

I do tell the outgoing runner what instructions I have given the incoming one. The fear of the embarrassment (and possible pain) of being whacked with the baton is usually sufficient to get him going!

If you bring the hand up too high, you run the risk of the hand moving laterally and making a harder target as well as forcing the incoming runer to raise up his hand to make the pass- increasing the difficulty if he misses and must try again.

Don’t screw around too much or the outgoing guy will take off before the mark! Late is still salvageable but early and the pass becomes impossible! Just practice the judgement for the takeoff over and over WITHOUT a pass or you’ll wear out the incoming runner!

The “whack him with the baton” threat usually requires only one rep! Yeah, outgoing runners think they’re working hard if they keep sprinting to the end of their zone, while the incoming guys end up doing 50-meters on each rep by the time they release the baton. No wonder people like to run 4th!

The way I coach relays (4x100 in particular) to deal with the slow down is by setting the steps initially to far out. If I think the outgoing runner should set his tape mark at 15, then I set it for 17. HS are real big on catastrophic and embarassing moments. IF their first hand off ends up in a collision or cat-claws on the shin, they will start backing off immediately. This way, from the get-go they think I have to run or get burned.
THe way I can tell if adjustments need to be made is if you watch the relay in FF mode on video and the camera angle is a good wide angle, the slowing down should be barely noticeable in the exchange. The other way to see when a incoming runner is slowing down is watch the shoulders and the posture. I always say “get to the next person, then adjust.”

I deal with this by laying out clear responsibilities for each runner. For outgoing runners, their only responsibilities are 1) go on the mark, 2) go all out, 3) give a good hand target on the call. For incomers, 1) don’t slow down until the pass is complete, 2) call when the pass can actually be made, 3) put the baton in teammate’s hand. I stress to them that if they execute their responsibilities and the timing is not right, the problem is with the mark, not the runners. The mark is everything, and the mark is MY responsibility. Once they all accept this, and it doesn’t take long, all embarrassment and inhibition are gone. Of course, that doesn’t prevent the occasional screw-up, usually based on the anxiety of the race.

One time, our league championhip meet, an outgoing runner saw that the incoming one was running faster than ever before, so decided to leave a little earlier than the mark. You can guess the result. From that, we have the motto “there is no thinking in relay racing.” :wink:

Incidentally, if the runners use their lanes properly, collisions will never happen. Runners 1 and 3 are on the inside of the lane, 2 and 4 on the outside.

At one time, a crossover system was used for the outgoing runner on third because they had trouble turning back far enough to see the incoming second leg runner on a curve, so they stood on the outside till the incoming runner reached the tape mark and the outgoing runner angled in to the inside for the pass. Good in theory- but you better go like hell! It’s one of those tricks, like the Russians still using an underhand pass, that requires a tremendous amount of practice or it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

Can’t you just look through the legs? If you practice it isn’t that hard. Some indigenous populations (I think Eskimos) can read from any angle (upside down etc) it doesn’t really matter the brain just becomes used to the picture and can process it. For example if you wear glasses that reverse the picture coming into your eye (make it upside down) after about 2 weeks the brain will correct it so it is the “normal” way up! Just practice walking on your hands and you will have this skill in no time :smiley:

If I tried this with my HS runners, I can envision a lot of carnage!

Typically, standing starts work best from an energy conservation standpoint since the advent of the extra 10m of the I-zone. allows for a stronger finish at the end.