How much Speed loss in GPP is tolerable?

How would the volume fluctuate during this time, Pierre-Jean?
Thanks!

I remember you saying how tricky it can be for an athlete running this sort of times 2 weeks before a race, psychologically at least…

You can imagine that if he is in a 6.8 shape a given day, i will let the athlete run that 60m only once. The other distances would be shorter. I always keep the volume quite low compared to other coaches, but volume is dependant on intensity and density, so 6.8 occurs when density and volume are at their highest point. After this, if you force the density and volume to decrease, you will see the intensity increase. The goal beeing that the highest intensity should be reached during the indoor major race.

Pierre-Jean, thanks for your reply!!

Charlie,
I understand that perhaps there are differences between Pierre-Jean’s approach and yours in terms of controlling the intensity -based on the acceleration allowed- but how would your approach develop in order to reach the same result?

There are some ideas in the GPP dvd, but just to further clarify the point and more specifically during a competitive period.
Thanks!

Yes, I realize that you get to chose BUT two questions come to mind.

Regarding " … you still get to chose which high intensity element’s vol to control first."

1. I understand capping the spd volume due to keeping the quality of the spd session high BUT why would your weight training session (after spd) be of higher volume (relatively) after spd has already drained your CNS for the most part. Would this impede your recovery for the next spd session?

2. I realize that this is a history lesson. So, would this overall template (over the course of years) be the same template which would occur over the course of a season? Seems likely from what I’ve read. I guess I just didn’t seem to take the principle far enough.

Comments and corrections would be appreciated.

There are different time frames for the GPP, in part determined by the approach, often with less time in GPP with a short-to-long style. To see how vol/intensity interplay, check out the SPP Short-To-Long graph in the Vancouver 2004 DVD. There is the point that speed volume must be limited to maintain quality, but, at the same time, speed must be limited (via distance of accel) to achieve an adequate volume. In the Vanc 2004 DVD, you’ll see that the actual seasonal volumes of speed can be as high or higher than in a Long-To-Short approach.

I see, allowing a long enough acceleration distance to give you the required volume per given time providing quality overall; not exactly an inverse linear relationship (one going up, one going down), I suppose, but something has to give at some point…
Still working this in my mind! :slight_smile:

In a sense it’s what Pierre-Jean is talking about -control of intensity obviously- but via different means, if you want; more objective perhaps?
Thanks!

Pierre-Jean, for any comments, please, let us know! :wink:

The distance of the acceleration gives you the INTENSITY you need, not the volume

Sorry, Charlie, yes, that’s what I meant in a strange kind of way; control the acceleration distance (intensity) to give you adequate overall volume -i.e., accelerating up to 20 m will allow more volume vs. accelerating up to 40 m, for example.
If the above isn’t right, then yes, I’ve got it wrong…