Hooker for Stawell Gift

SOUNDS LIKE AN UNNECESSARY RISK BUT I GUESS VAULTERS ARE USED TO TAKING RISKS.kk

Tuesday, 16 March 2010

High flying Hooker set to experience the Gift this Easter

Olympic gold… check

Commonwealth gold… check

World championships gold… check

World indoor gold… check

World record… well that will have to wait until after the Australia Post Stawell Gift for high flier Steve Hooker.

Hot on the heels of another stunning world title victory, Olympic and world champion Steve Hooker will attempt to add Australia’s richest footrace to his list of achievements when he lines up in the Australia Post Stawell Gift this Easter.

“It’s a fantastic weekend. I have been up there many times before as a spectator and its always been dream to run there. With my big global championship out of the way already this year it’s an opportunity where I go there for a bit of a different preparation,” Hooker said.

“Of course it (the money) does (interest me). It’s $40,000, who wouldn’t be happy with that?”

The 27-year-old blitzed his competition at the IAAF World Indoor Championships in Doha in the early hours of Sunday morning, winning the major championship by 31cm - beating Sergey Bubka’s championship record in the process with his winning jump of 6.01m.

Hooker became the first Australian in history to win all major championships available following his wins at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, 2009 IAAF World Athletics Championships and 2010 IAAF World Indoor Championships.

In addition, he is now the only athlete world-wide to currently hold all four major global athletics titles – Olympic, World, World Cup and World Indoor Championships.

Hooker returned from Qatar this morning to announce that he will run in the Australia Post Stawell Gift before turning his attention back to the pole vault for the Australian Championships in Perth on 14-16 April.

Due to his pole vault commitments, Hooker has raced sparingly over 100m, with his latest outing producing a personal best of 10.82 at the new State Athletics Centre in Perth in early January this year, in a race won by Australian 100m record holder Patrick Johnson in 10.36. His previous 100m outings date back to 2005 when the high flier recorded a wind assisted 10.68 (+3.2) also set in Perth.

How he fares on the grass at Stawell, having to use the very unfamiliar starting blocks and without his trademark pole, remains to be seen.

“I think I will have enough handicaps by the time I get there without having to put another one on myself having to run with a pole,” Hooker said.

“I have got a bit of speed there but I cannot start to save myself so I have to do a bit of work on that over the coming weeks. Hopefully I can get up a little bit more pace without the pole.

“I am going for fun but I am a very competitive person so as soon as I get out there I will be giving it my all to try and finish ahead of everyone else.”

Hooker is amassing a resume that is the envy of athletes around the globe, with his Olympic, Commonwealth and world indoor championship victories all coming with championship record leaps. His world championship win in Berlin came in the most extraordinary circumstances given a severe hip injury, so it would be foolhardy to suggest that he isn’t capable of taking home the coveted sash and $40,000 winner’s cheque in Australia’s richest and most famous footrace.

Should Hooker not make it the Easter Monday final, he will most likely feature in the TAB Big6 Backmarkers Invitation.

Stawell Athletic Club president Charlie Baird said the Club was thrilled to have a reigning Olympic champion at Central Park.

“Steve is a very popular athlete and we are thrilled that he is going to compete in the Australia Post Stawell Gift for the first time,” Baird said.

“We know that he has been keen to come for the past few years, and even wanted to do a pole vault on grass, but to have him run in the Gift is even better. We have never had a reigning Olympic champion race in the Gift so this is a first for the people of Stawell and western Victoria to come and see Steve in action.”

This year’s Gift will have the broadest coverage of any edition in history with a two-hour live broadcast on Network Ten/One and on the Australia Network across the Asia/Pacific, and the Gift final also live on Sky Channel.

The Australia Post Stawell Gift sweepstakes will also provide one lucky patron on Easter Monday with the chance to win a brand new car, and with the chance to see Steve Hooker, there is absolutely no reason not to come to Stawell this Easter to experience the Gift.

The 2010 Australia Post Stawell Gift carnival will be staged from Friday 2nd to Monday 5th April 2010.

The Carnival kicks off with the Calcutta on Friday night and is followed by three days of thrilling racing, the Driscoll McIllree and Dickinson Ladies Day, Stawell Regional Health Family Day, stunning ladies day fashion and family entertainment, culminating in the 129th running of the Australia Post Stawell Gift.

Sadly - how many Aussies even know of him?
I cant remember the last time i even seen him on Tv.!

Yep it’s a terrible shame considering just how good he is

Cool,
Youngy and downunder pals, keep us posted…maybe I can get some internet streaming…

No worries eroszag.

Handicaps to be released late next week (I presume). Hooker won’t have the novice mark of 7.00m (a starting mark given to new athletes with no previous form) but they have been pretty generous to Aussie internationals in recent years so Steve will definitely get a competiitive mark - anything around 6.0 for him would be handy.

Coincidentally just as I’m writing this I have received the latest e-news from the Stawell Athletic Club. It confirms the Steve Hooker entry and announces that handicaps will be declared on Wednesday March 24th.

Thank you!Will any of you athletes enter the Gift?Which Tv will broadcast it?

Hi eroszag,

I’ve got a couple of entries in the Stawell Gift. One was travelling very well but has just got a small injury issue. Hopefully he will be right.

It’s televised on Ch Ten. It’s HD channel is apparently telecasting it live around Australia for 2 hours on Easter Monday.

Will try to catch some action on streaming channels, at least I hope so.
Good luck for your guys.

I heard that Joshua has entered for Don Furness- 70m? any truth to the comeback or is it another Joshua Ross?

Josh Ross has been allocated -0.50m suggesting it is the multiple national champion and dual Stawell Gift winner.

Coincidentally there was another much younger Joshua Ross running in the amateurs but I haven’t heard nor seen him for a while. He ran for Box Hill and was a junior state 100m champion. But given the handicap I doubt it is him entered this weekend.

The comeback for ‘The Boss’ has been very quiet and low key. I’ve got no idea who’s coaching him or where he is training. Hopefully he turns up and runs - will be great to see him back.

Don Furness 70m Classic - Australia’s richest 70m race. (Total Value: $5,000)

Name, Suburb/State, Handicap
Joshua ROSS TULLAMARINE -0.5
Adrian MOTT MAIDSTONE 0
Rhett MEDFORD COBURG NORTH 1.75
Robert VIDLER HOPPERS CROSSING 2
Edward WARE NEW SOUTH 2
Matthew HARGREAVES WERRIBEE 2.5
Brendan MATTHEWS CANBERRA 2.5
Bros KELLY TYABB 2.75
Gareth JUBB TASMANIA 2.75
Benjamin WEAVER MOUNT ELIZA 3
Sean LAW MOOROOLBARK 3.25
Peter WALSH CORIO 3.25
Shane EZARD QUEENSLAND 3.25
Shane MCKENZIE KILSYTH 3.5
Nathan FOX SOLDIERS HILL 3.5
Cam DUNBAR RINGWOOD EAST 3.75
Matthew CALLARD HOPPERS CROSSING 4
Matthew HARVEY KEYSBOROUGH 4
Paul TANCREDI OAK PARK 4
Jarrod MEAGHER CROYDON HILLS 4
Luke VERSACE SOUTH YARRA 4
Cory BRADY RICHMOND 4
Nick SAMPIERI PRAHRAN 4
Gavin O’NEIL MELTON 4
Simon MENZ WILLAURA 4.25
Nick MAGREE MITCHAM 4.25
Craig ROLLINSON WARRIGUL 4.25
David TINNEY HAMLYM HEIGHTS 4.25
Mark HIGNETT GEELONG WEST 4.25
Luke MADDEN ENGLAND 4.5
Adam PARKES CAMBERWELL 4.5
John NICOLOSI PASCOE VALE 4.5
Andrew WALDRON FLEMINGTON 5
Rick ANDERSSEN YARRAVILLE 5
Jack DOOLEY MENTONE 5
Warwick VALE AIREYS INLET 5
Darren WHITTAKER MORDIALLOC 5.25
Luke JARVIS ENGLAND 6
Craig MAIR EAST DONCASTER 6
Stephen TAYLOR TAYLORS LAKES 6
Shane BUCKINGHAM WESTMEADOWS 6
Tyson HANCOCK SOUTH AUSTRALIA 6
Glenn STEPHENS EAGLEHAWK 6

Olympic and world pole vault champion Steve Hooker has been handed a 5.5m handicap as he attempts to write another piece of Australian track and field history at the Stawell Gift.

After claiming the world indoor pole vault title earlier this month, the 27-year-old revealed he would have a crack at the historic 120m handicap race.

At the time, Hooker said he would be delighted if the Victorian Athletic League handicappers gave him a 7m mark.

Instead they have decided he will start from 5.5m, based primarily on his 100m PB of 10.82 seconds set earlier this year in Perth.

Nigerian international sprinter Bola Lawal will be the backmarker at 0.5m for the 129th edition of the famous race held over the Easter weekend in the western Victorian town of Stawell.

Lawal won the 100m at the recent Melbourne Track Classic.

Australian sprinter Anthony Alozie will run off 0.75m, while world championships long jump bronze medallist Mitchell Watt has been given a mark of 2.5m.

Watt confirmed his status as the fastest long jumper in Australian history last year when he clocked a flying 10.37 in his jumping spikes during an interclub meet on the Gold Coast.

Defending Gift champion Aaron Stubbs has been pulled 3.25m to a mark of 4m.

The 19-year-old trimmed five-hundredths of a second from his 100m PB last weekend with a time of 10.66.

Other past champions entered in the 2010 race include 2006 winner Adrian Mott (3.75m) and 1999 winner Rodney Matthews (10m).

In the women’s Gift, three-time national 400m hurdles champion Lauren Boden will start as the backmarker on 1.75m, with Tamsyn Lewis and Katie Moore both on 2m.

AAP