hip popping

any time i lift my knee so that my thigh is parallel with the ground, i feel a click or a pop in the front-inside part of my hip. i’ve been told that this is my IT band. it doesnt happen while i run, but only when i pull my knee up and down slowly. any suggestions on what i should do to get this clicking/popping to stop? thanks…

Get your psoas cleaned up (released) and I’m certain the popping will be no more.

would this require any type of surgery? it doesn’t cause me pain at this point, so i’m not sure if i’d want to go as far as surgery if i can avoid it…

It’s likely not a problem as long is there is no pain. Sometimes the popping can be hard to get rid of. I have a freshman girl whose hip pops and I told her not to worry about it. She thought it meant game over but 2 days later PR.

RandyG is not talking about surgery. He is talking about manual therapy (massage or ART) or specific stretching.

If there are chronic groin pulls with hip popping def get that checked out. If no pain you should be ok.

ya i had the same thing happen to me, in fact my hip still occasionally still pops at times. My hip would pop everytime for 2 1/2 years. Its gotten alot better tho. It never hurt at all except for after workouts it would be sore when walking.

My suggestion is ice the crap out of it and it will feel better and eventually stop. I was told it is called “Snapping Hip Syndrome” Doctor told me that if it hurt i needed surgery but if it didnt id be ok.

ok, sounds good everyone, i’ll try some icing and stretching and will ask my school’s trainer for some help, thanks a bunch!

I have snapping hip syndrome in my left hip as far as I’m concerned, and if I grab by the lower abs and hip flexor and squeeze, the snapping goes down considerably. In fact, I can actually feel the vibrations of the snaps in my fingers.

Is there anything I can do by myself to improve this condition?

Foam Rolling!
Use a small foam ball, the size of a tennis ball. Tennis balls tend to crack… best place to find them is in a large say Westfield shopping centre store in the sporting section someplace near the basketballs.

As also said, massage, Art, and also acupuncture and physio is worth a shot. PNF stretches before your workouts and normal static stretching After workouts.

But, considering MOST athletes here are actually pretty poor - then generally your best bet will be with Foam Rolling and stretching.

Oh yeah, where you might ask? Just about any place in your hips that go “ouch” when you apply some pressure with the ball.

How many sessions? A lot, and generally, for as long as you keep on running but less frequently as the muscles improve.