Herschel is Back

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20100114_After_football__track__bobsledding_and_ballet__Herschel_Walker_tackles_MMA.html

Apparently, Herschel Walker is returning to sports, but rather than lacing up spikes, he’s putting on gloves.

At 47, I don’t know how serious he can be taken or how long his new “career” could last for, but I’m interested in seeing how this turns out. The man is an otherworldly talent, and if anyone his age could do this, it’s him.

He was on Howard Stern recently. He noted that he only eats once per day in the evening (cesar salad and soup) and does not eat meat…and he is like 215lbs. What’s up with that?

He’s gone healthy then, other times I’ve heard of him only drinking juice and eating a burger and fries at night. At the Olympics in '92, he ate nothing but bread, juice and french fries…or so the story goes.

How do you train for elite sport or MMA (now) at 210+lbs on one apparently small meal per day in the evening?

Who knows, a lot about Herschel seems to defy nature. Perhaps it’s a form of self-promotion but I’ve seen numerous sources attest to some of his more eccentric behaviors i.e.: sleeping only 4 hours a night, going out for a 5 mile jog before practice, hardly eating, etc.

Heard he also only does pushups and situps.

In his book he mentions he has done the same bw exercise routine of pushups, situps, and pullups since the 6th grade. He says he does up to 2000 of each exercise and if he continues doing so, he will eventually reach a number of reps that is the same number of light years it takes to get from Earth to Jupiter. It had all kinds of bizarre info like that.

I could buy that he doesn’t lift weights. I could also buy that he only sleeps 4 hours a night. Having said that though, there’s no way he only eats one small meal per day. A man that size would need to eat a lot to keep himself running, regardless of how freaky he is.

Push-ups, chin-ups, dips, sit-ups, yes Herschel has confirmed this in many interviews, but I read one where he said he started weights later in his career also. Everyone said he was the fittest guy on the field, even at the end of his career.

Unfortunately, regardless of his eccentricities and workout routines, he will likely get knocked out or choked out by anyone with a decent fighting skill-set. He’s basically a vegetarian Kimbo Slice. Brought in initially to fight tomato cans and get ratings, but not a serious MMA contender.

Well Herschel pulled it off, not bad for a 47 year-old. He’s still in great shape. He showed some decent takedown defence, escaped a couple of submission attempts, and landed two sweet leg kicks.

Though I didn’t like the stoppage. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a fight stopped from punches to the shoulder before. Lol.