Hard work with no strength gain

I have to say I disagree with using WSFSB at all for athletes of this age. Coachf, you said that “It’s too bad that there isn’t a magic workout plan that works for everyone.”

JMT’s post above went a ways towards being it. No w/o is perfect. There will always be adjustments that need to be made but the general template JMT posted is about what I would have said. I could detail why I think WSFSB isn’t so hot, but I’d rather emphasize that the advice given by Pioneer and Jason is correct, IMO.

I have to agree. I know some have had good success using it even at the high school level. I’ve alway felt it was better suited for athletes who had undergone a more linear(actually undulating) periodization method progression for some time before taking on the WSB or WSFSB template.

I’d like to hear your reasoning for why you think WS4SB isn’t as good as what you are proposing. Also, due to athletic schedules, we will always be having workouts on consecutive days. Often times we go M,T, Th, or M, W, Th in the various seasons. Would this make you modify the total body workouts proposed earlier?
Also, what about explosive lifts, either box jumps or oly’s? It seems like everyone condones at least some type of these for football players. I appreciate all your help.

Coach F, just making sure you saw this earlier response.

Thanks. I do think I might have missed that middle paragraph somehow. I have heard about all the things you have mentioned (plyos are redundant for people doing a lot of jumping and sprinting, and in season athlets have more of a form day on their second leg day rather than a lower RE or DE day) and try to implement them. I do check Defranco’s site often, and am constantly trying to research to make this best for everyone. That is one reason I chose WS4SB - there is a lot of detail and suggestions from Joe himself on how to implement it. I think sometimes a problem of mine is that I am constantly looking for ways to make it better, and I do the opposite. I will keep trying.
What don’t you like about WS4SB?
As for the other program that has been mentioned by JTW:
I like the simplicity. I actually use to do our ME lifts like this - 3 sets of 5 with the same weight - the most an athlete could handle with good form. I went back to one set because I was advised on this site that this volume / intensity would be too high. I would like to hear some opinions on how this 3 X 5 with the most weight one can handle with good form would be better or worse than WS4SB.
Since a lot of our guys lift on consecutive days, I am worried about squatting two days in a row. I also worry about burnout from squatting heavy so much.
How would you modify this workout for in season athletes?
What would the next step look like? Actually, I’m not sure I want to hear that yet.

Excellent post Jason, I found the Novice Starting Strength program as a very efficient approach for beginners to build strength. The second book, Practical Programming for Stength training (PPST) has more insight and it answers many questions. Rip says that most trainees in non strength sports may not have the need to go beyond the intermediate strength training phase detailed in PPST.