Hannah Cunliffe makes front page Seattle Times, and video

^^ Yeah, this season has been terrible, we’ve had one meet that was dry and over 55 degrees. Just horrible, but not unfair as everybody has had to deal with it.

Rich, I was hoping you had more info on Hannah. My sources are other coaches but nothing official from her club yet, she was removed from the Washington rankings on athletic.net a few weeks ago.

As I said, I don’t know anything, just what my daughter tells me through her conversations with Hannah and news.
I stopped communicating with Mike last Fall, and won’t again.

HS track is just as competitive as summer AAU track (Hannah does not have the fastest 100m time for the State this season) and I hope for Hannahs’ sake, that the “fun” hasn’t been diminished.

was she doing the box jumps in spikes??? surely looks so ! :frowning:

You got that right, which is what scared the you-know-what out of some of us earlier. I know that Carl was a long jumper who sprinted . Any idea at what age he started serious plyos?

i presume he started as soon as tellez got him to UH.

has anyone ever gone to a playschool and watched what the 5 year olds do.

They are doing plyometrics, jumping down and up steps, over sand castles and all the other activities they make up themselves.

The genetically gifted ones are usually the hypo ones.

The kids don’t jump down, if they do they usually end up hurt

Al Vermeil spoke a bit about this in one of his Vancouver seminars. Kids nowadays are at home playing video games. When I was a kid I used to jump off my 2nd story balcony, used to run full speed down sandy hills until I bailed cause the speed was too much, jump off the neighbors swings into their garden (we used to catch some serious air), we used to set up steps and benches so we could run and slam a basketball and then land on the ground afterwards with no padding.

I’m not saying it was all good, but I had no problems back then.

Yes, I used to do some stupid things too when I was growing up…I believe not getting “hurt” was more luck than anything else…even though I did get my share of bruises, scrapes, burns and serious cuts/stitches…I never broke a bone.

Especially all the different kids I knew (and didn’t know) who weren’t so lucky, I would see with casts on their arms, legs, feet, with crutches, burns, stitches, bandages etc. etc.

I don’t think you would incorporate any of this stuff into a workout and expect no injuries.

Rick

I’m ok with kids playing in such a way that they might break bones - I certainly did. Training in a dangerous way is not something I’m ok with.

5 year olds jumping off balconies usually end up in hospital, 3 made the news in Sydney recently. :wink:

They teach themselves to crawl, they teach themselves to walk and they are teaching themselves balance as 5 year olds. Not too far off they will teach themselves to run.

I saw Hannah’s name in at the USA World Youth Trials:
http://www.usatf.org/events/2013/WorldYouthTFTrials/results/F616.asp
http://www.usatf.org/events/2013/WorldYouthTFTrials/results/F604.asp

Last February Mike Cunliffe (Hannahs father/coach) told me she had grown over 1.5" in the past 6 months…with her body still growing and changing, who knows what her limits will be…
A couple weeks ago, Hannah ran at The Great SouthWestern Classic in New Mexico in the “Elite” 100m and 200m.

She PR’ed in both, 100m: 11.38 200m: 23.10

Going against what some posted previously, she has a bright future ahead.

http://nm.milesplit.com/meets/133041/elites

Those are impressive times, but run at altitude. It will be interesting to see if she can run under 11.50 and 23.40 at sea level. Doing that would be as impressive as 11.38 and 23.50 in Albuquerque.

Albuquerque is probably even better than Colorado with regard to sprint conditions. 5200 feet of altitude plus even hotter weather will get you some very quick times! Excellent for neural patterning as Charlie always said, but likely not a true indicator of her current sea level form.

The 11.38 and 23.10 were run at over legal limit of wind, and at altitude. Hopefully she continues to improve!

She’s in 11th grade now? Did she pick a university yet?

She can’t sign until half-way through grade 12. There is a thread on track&field news about how she was prohibited from participating for her school this year b/c she “transferred” to a school from being home-schooled. wtf…

Hannah went to Decatur HS her freshman year, ran for them for a couple weeks, then quit to train for summer track.

The next year, she went back to home schooling, which her family has done for many years.

Then, this school year, she “transferred” to Federal Way HS.

I have read most of the “sports” articles about this and they are inaccurate,
http://www.king5.com/news/cities/federal-way/Federal-Way-track-star-sues-to-run-with-school-204020631.html

She also made the USATF World Youth team:

http://www.usatf.org/News/USATF-Announces-World-Youth-Team.aspx

Interesting. I don’t think her not running in HS meets is going to matter a whole lot in getting recruited. No one has any secret info on who’s after here (universities)? :smiley: