Hannah Cunliffe makes front page Seattle Times, and video

Hannah is coached by her father - compare with the faster Jodie Williams. Despite being a decent club sprinter himself Mr W knew when to let go.

Hm…this was already discussed in another thread…hannah just turned 15 about 2 weeks ago or so…Jodie Williams turned 17 last September… which puts them 3 years apart competitively in USATF or AAU track.
Comparitively speaking, at the same age, Hannah Cunliffe (coincidently, Jody Williams has a sister also with the name of Hannah):

In 2007: Jodie willams best 100 meter dash: 12.01/11.85w best 200 meter dash: 24.77/24.57w

In 2010: Hannah Cuniliffe 100 meters: 11.71 (USATF Nat. prelim) 200 meter dash: 23.91 (USATF Nat. prelim)

Each year Hannah has made huge improvements, she has won Nationals 6 times and owns the Youth record in the 100 meters.

I understand Hannahs future is not known, but with your comparison, you might as well compare her to a 25 year old Olympic sprinter, as it makes about as much sense.
Please, tell me a faster 14 year old sprinter from last year?
I’d say things are just fine…He may be making a few mistakes on the way, but he has a huge support group that he draws from, I know of one very prestigious member of this site that can vouch for that!
What is he suppossed to do, she is just a young girl, a freshman in High School.
My daughter and I will enjoy watching Hannah run this season, and I will be cheering for both…I’m going with the positive thoughts!

My point is about the level of coaching input (elite versus father), not their absolute speed when comparing the age difference of 2 years and 4 months.
By the way JW will not be going to university until October 2012, you have gained a year in your calculations.

JW has actually improved in that 2 year age gap to be #1 in the world, which suggests the coaching regime is appropriate.

Does HC have the option of elite level support yet or is she too young ?

I hope all the best for her…but in my career I’ve never seen girls or boys not getting faster from 11 to 14!!Even not training…

I coach HS girls and I certainly do not have freshmen who look like Cunliffe, much less run like her. I was at her meet yesterday so I could see her “live.” She is extremely big and strong – body looks more like 20 than 15. She ran the 60 in 7.54 to finish 3rd behind the defending Pac-10 100 champion (7.35). Start wasn’t great but top-speed mechanics were.

I’m not a fan of the drop jumps she’s doing. I don’t even do drops like that with my adult athletes, and they’re jumpers (volleyball). I would highly recommend Charlie’s GPP video, and his Key Concepts Elite ebook. They’re worth your athlete’s career.

have an opinion and we are versed in this arena, none of us truly know if it will hurt or help her. It’s all speculative at this point. I agree that those drops are likely not worth the risk, it isn’t our athlete to train. I see people get unreal results with very unconventional and counterintuitive methods. Hannah may go on to be an Olympic champion or she may not get much further. None of us know for sure. I say celebrate an exceptional athlete who is performing at a very high level. I kind of feel bad for Rich because any time someone posts something on Hannah, it brings so many negative comments. Lets say it is what it is. She is the fastest kid in her age group and has been for some time. Let us try to be positive and enjoy her ride. I like watching her videos because she is a joy to watch run.

Forgot to add that if he is going to do depth jumps, do them in flats. Thats my only comment.

So we should wait until she gets hurt to say anything about the unsafe things she’s made to do?

hahahaha good oone :slight_smile:

Oh my goodness, I just watched the jumping…

My one question to the coach - is the intent designed for a short or long term benefit? And if either or both how are they measured?

Does the coach or the program have recent result oriented data that can be shared regarding these exercises? Of course I do realize that modalities can result differently between individuals.

Thank you for a well versed post…this will be another exciting year in track, it’s all fun, and don’t have to be #1 to enjoy.

Yes, those jumps don’t look worthwhile, including the shoe issue, but then, coach Mike may just be trying something new(that is, until he hears about the posts here:) ) Coach Mike usually is very careful, and I have overheard many times his lectures to athletes of proper training, both on and off the track.
He will not allow anyone to race if they experience any problems or pain at all. He will not let you do any workouts that are not appropriate, or that your not physically ready for.
His workouts are only 1.5 hours long, not intensive and only 3 days a week.
Coach Mikes most memorable saying… “less is more”…

That’s a good sign, and I’m hoping those jumps were a one time thing meant for the news cameras. His results are terrific, so without seeing what actually happens in training we can only speculate from the video, and that section of the video is worrisome. I hope to see her run 11.5X or faster this season.

No that isn’t what I am saying. I was saying it isn’t our place to tell a coach who has obviously steered his product to very high level what to do. Do I agree with the depth jumps? No, especially not in spikes. I guess I am commenting on the fact that evry time this girls name gets mentioned, it begins a cascade of negative posts saying how bad something is training wise or how someone is faster somewhere. I am not qualified to comment on her training because I haven’t witnessed the body of work. We are basically viewing a soundbyte of her training. What is undeniable is that she is far and away the best sprinter in her age group and has been for some time so I suspect her father must be doing something right in her development. She is a kid, lets celebrate the fact that we may be witnessing something special. She seems like a great kid and she looks to have a bright future.

I do not think the character of Mike is in question.
He seems like an alright guy.
Doing a good job as a dad and father of 8 kids and trying his hand in a seemingly organized way.
We dont have the benefit of seeing the entire training routine but we can see and say based on this footage.
Look again please at this girl and tell me I am wrong seeing she is heavy on her feet and sweeping sound says this sprinting should be done when she is much fresher than when this filming was taken.
Depth jumps at that age is not reasonable.( yes we argue why depth jumps ever but that is for another discussoin). Do we need to debate about this on this site? No. Most of you worth your salt know this for sure.
We are hashing out right and wrong here so lets call it how we see it.
most of you are out there doing enough and you can see for yourselves.
Great if she has done as well as she has thus far and more power to her. TMSSF has already mentioned do not be fooled by short term gains compromised by long term development.

I think Coach Mike is doing well with the team, here is a list of just a few of the accomplishments…without names:

“Name XXXXX”: Career Highlights: 2010 AAU National Champion - Track & Field All American in Sub-Bantam Girls Muli-event. Also placed 2nd in the nation in the Long Jump and High Jump with a 7th place finish in the 100M. She is an 7-time AAU Jr Olympic medalist (09,10). Broke the 8 yr old age group World Record with a wind legal jump of 13’-9.75" prior to her 9th birthday in San Diego, CA. Finished 2nd in the country at the AAU Jr Olympics in 2009 in the Long Jump

Name “YYYYY”: Career Highlights: 2-time National Champion - AAU Jr Olympic Games (2009). Midget (age 12) boys discus and shot put.

Name “ZZZZ”: Career Highlights: 2010 “ZZZZ” was the AAU Jr. Olympic Champion in the Sub-Youth (age 13) girls long jump with a jump of 17’-2.5". “ZZZZ” had a 2010 season’s best of 17’-6". She had 2 top 15 finishes in the sprints as well; with a 12.60 100M and a 25.92 200M. 2009 “ZZZZ” was 2nd in the country in the midget girls (12 yr old) long jump at the AAU Jr. Olympic Games (Des Moines, IA).

Name “TTTT”: 2010 (age 14): 3rd in the country in the javelin - AAU Jr. Olympics 136’-10". With a season best of 149’-2".

Name “SSSS”: Career Highlights:“SSSS” is a 4x AAU Jr. Olympic National Medalist in the sprints and jumps (09, 10). She is a 2x USATF Jr. Olympic National Medalist - All-American in the sprints (08).

Name “PPPP”: USATF National Indoor Champion (West Zone) - 400 Meters, AAU Region 12 Champion - 400 Meters and 4x Phillipine National Champion (200, 400) in 2005 and 2006.

Obvious :slight_smile: : Career Highlights: 6-time AAU National Champion - Track & Field All American, 4-time USATF Track & Field All American. 4x 200M National Champion AAU jr. Olympics (07,08,09,10); 2x 100M National Champion AAU jr. Olympics (08,10). 2010 season’s best of 11.71 and 23.91 finish the 2010 season as US #1 in both and events and #1 on all world lists for 14 yr old girls.

Name “KKKK”: Career Highlights: In 2009 “KKKK” won the national title in the long jump for midget boys (12 yr olds) at the AAU Jr Olympic Games (Des Moines, Iowa). In 2008 he was the Age group World Record holder 10 yr old boys long jump 5.15M : 16’-10.75" this was set at the USATF National Indoor Chmps. (Western Zone) in Flagstaff AZ on Feb 24. This was done prior to his 11th birthday. 2 time AAU Track & Field All American, 2-time USATF Track & Field All American (‘07 & ‘06, '07)

Name “BBBB” Career Highlights: “BBBB” was a double sprint medalist in 2009; she was 3rd in the country in the 100m at the AAU Jr Olympic Games (Des Moines, IA) and 6th in the country in the 200m. The year previous she was 2nd in the 60M at the 2008 USATF National Indoor Chmps. (Western Zone).

In all of last year, I never saw any sort of “depth jumps” so that is quite new, in fact, other than doing different hurdle exercises, stair work and starting blocks, there was no other equipment used…so this is something new, and I’m actually surprised.

Rich, it appears from your posts you may know Mike. If so I wonder if it would be possible to talk to him re the reasoning for the jumps, not in confrontational way just more I am wondering :confused:

My daughter was on his Seattle Speed club last year…I could send him an email and see what he says…