3 THOMPSON, Richard TRI 10.04 0.173
4 BLAKE, Yohan JAM PB 10.05 0.261
5 MULLING, Steve JAM PB 10.05 0.169
6 BURNS, Marc TRI 10.15 0.167
7 CERUTTI, Fabio ITA 10.27 0.132
8 COLLIO, Simone ITA 10.29 0.155
9 TAKAHIRA, Shinji JPN 10.37 0.187

Finals at 9:03pm local time

I probably shouldn’t even bother asking, but is there any way to watch this live?

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-iaaf-golden-league.html

universalsports.com shows all the meets

Finals

Wind:+0.4
Rank Athlete Nation Result Reaction time
1 GAY, Tyson USA WL,NR,MR 9.77 0.171
2 POWELL, Asafa JAM SB 9.88 0.151
3 BLAKE, Yohan JAM PB 9.96 0.223
4 BAILEY, Daniel ANT PB 9.97 0.148
5 MULLING, Steve JAM PB 10.01 0.163
6 RODGERS, Michael USA 10.03 0.153
7 THOMPSON, Richard TRI 10.05 0.158
8 FRATER, Michael JAM 10.09 0.151
9 PADGETT, Travis USA 10.17 0.172

Nice!
Imagine what he could run if he did some speed work :wink:

Looked at the video. Good run by Gay- assumedly his best as his Eugene runs were not as good relative to the competition at hand. I actually thought Asafa ran well with a limp. I have heard that his ankle issue is severe and originally thought he was oming to Toronto to have it treated but it doesn’t appear so. Anyway- he shut down 10m or so from the end so he is prob 9.81 shape WITHOUT his normal start. If he gets it back, he’s clearly ready for low 9.70 or high 9.60s. Shaping up to be very interesting. At least Bolt will have to put out in the 100m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv9yS6SfYSE

That was a good run by Gay and Asafa.

Methinks if Asafa could hold his acceleration position as in the past he would have beat Gay.

Nevertheless, I strongly believe this period of misery in the circuit is valuable for Asafa, provided he can get his ankle issues squared away.

The idea of Bolt putting out makes this equation, wonderful. As I have been always interested in finding out what he can do…but has not shown us yet

Charlie - What are your thoughts on Powell’s block set-up?

His feet are very high on the pads (off the ground - see 2:01 of the video) and he seems very tight to the line (see 0:42 of the video for proximity to line - see how his knee is poking through his arms quite a bit). Wouldn’t that combination create a tendency to over-rotate forward (thus having him stand up to oppose that action)? Seems like it would work better off the block in a swimming race.

I’m not sure if it has been altered because of the ankle problem. He may have a problem coming out as low as he used to because the ankle (his Left I think) doesn’t flex as much as normal. Anyone know?

Nevertheless, I strongly believe this period of misery in the circuit is valuable for Asafa

I share the same opinion. Asafa’s run was his best this year. It seemed at one stage he was catching up with Gay and then decided to let go. Maybe I am trying to see too much into it but I get that feeling when I watch it. With a good start and slightly better drive as well as longer top end phase he just may be where many of us want to see him. Gay ran his “usual” maximum. IMO, I do not think Gay will go any faster in Berlin. Though it would be nice to see all three of them going sub 9.70 :slight_smile:

I already bought plenty of popcorn :slight_smile:

I also noticed richard tompson and padgett had their feet up very high on the blocks, never seen that before

I agree with this…

Just like the 2008 Olympics, this years World Champs, will be a circus. The 400-meters will be won in low 43s but no record. I expect my athlete to win just like last years 400 meters. In the 100m, the world will see a 9.51 or a time very very close. In the 200m, the world will see something superhuman. Not even the statitcians will have predicted what Bolt will run. I have had the opportunity to watch him train several times this year and I can tell you with certainty that he will go under 18.95

Well I suggested Bolt will soon go under 19.00

While watching the slow-mo front view, I noticed something I thought was interesting.

Powell had a much higher stride frequency in the first few steps than Gay. Their stride frequencies were similar for the drive phase (after those initial steps), and Gay’s stride frequency was higher than Powell’s from about 40m on, though just slightly.

They both took 44.5 steps to finish the race, though if Powell didn’t stop running hard at the end, which lengthened his stride considerably, he would have taken about 45. I suspect this is directly because of the shorter stride he’s taking off his left foot.

Padgett has done it for a couple of years, his now coach obviously didn’t changed it. As far as i know, Thompson didn’t used to do it in the past, but Obikwelu has tried various versions of it during his career.

PJ, I noticed as well padgett made the switch like dix regarding blocks change of back leg, both now start with right back. Do you see anything about this change?

It doesn’t seem that Padgett is starting better or worse than last year, and since his start was ok last year, i don’t see any reason to switch feet on the blocks except for health reasons that i’m not aware of.