Gatlin wins Madrid

I agree in full. What I’ve found with my non-track athletes is that “head in line with spine” just doesn’t register on the whole because they’ll still want to look ahead which ends up causing premature neck extension beyond zero. Thus, in cuing “tuck the chin” this actually resolves the situation and yields neck in line with spine.

I always go with ‘neck in line with spine’ at the onset and usually end up saying ‘tuck the chin’ if they have problems ‘getting it’.

The WC race in 1999 between Greene and Surin is a very good example of head position - both in acceleration and for max velocity and speed endurance.

http://www.vimeo.com/4758901

Watch closely as Surin exhibits optimal acceleration posture out of the blocks (and is leading). Greene has his head tucked too much and gets out behind Surin. However, Bruny ends up letting his head tilt back (and so goes the rest of his body) leading to deceleration posture. Greene’s head is in line with his spine and he pulls past Bruny. Their 10m splits confirm these differences in velocity.

Combine Bruny’s first 50m with Mo Greene’s last 50m and you have at least a 9.77 second race I believe.

Tim Montgomery is in that race (way behind), probably looking for ants!

The spinal column must be in alignment from L5 to the top of head. To simply tilt the head forward to transfer weight is not ideal.

Lol Chris…i never forgot about them…I just don’t think they’ll feature much in the final…(Controversial I know) - But lets look at some facts…Lemaitre hasnt beaten Blake or Asafa. Asafa is well known for not doing what he’s hyped to do in the Majors. He medalled at WCh in Berling because he knew he was 3rd best to Usain and Gay. With no Gay around this year he again has got the same pressure that he had at Beijing.

One think I like about Gatlin is his tenacity. He has never raced Lemaitre before and I dont think he’d allow Christophe to beat him because he’s that kind of competitor! As much as Lemaitre has grown in confidence, we saw what happened to him when he was thrown into the ‘Lions Den’ (Paris 2010) put in the middle of Bolt and Asafa! The poor guy crumbled. Now you put him in a race with all these madmen (Asafa,Bolt,Gatlin,Mullins,Blake,) all screaming,chanting and in some cases dancing…composure goes and its a wrap! Gonna be a great championships…if the false start rule doesnt ruin it.

I thimk you will find Asapha pokes his chin out in the latter stages with proper spinal alignment when he has his fastest times.

In the other video on the page (Bolt’s 9.69), Richard Thompson is said to have the best start by the announcers. It looks to me like he has his head down as well in that clip. So are we saying that his start would have been even better were he to properly align it with his spine?

The vid is a bit fuzzy but the start looks fine to me. I suggest there is a curvature along the whole spinal alignment, he is doing more than just a hanging his head.

Sady is that in relation to running the bend only?

No2, good video thanks.

The question is: without considering two like prepared genetic clones performing side by side can we attribute who’s ahead of who, and where in the race, to head/cervical spine position alone? Answer- no.

While I am in total agreement with you in regards to optimal geometry aka force: posture, there are many other factors that could have contributed to each sprinters acceleration versus maxV.

Also, in the tone of devil’s advocate, similar to the discussion surrounding Ben’s higher maxV in the 9.83 and lower maxV in the 9.79, one valid supposition could be that Greene might not have had the 60-100m performance that he did if he had expended more energy during acceleration…

In any case, that’s a great video to get a look at the context of this discussion regarding top class athletes.

Who is claiming Ben’s velocity was lower in Seoul vs Rome?

To put it more simply, Bruny had the race in hand and panicked. Mo didn’t. There are psychological, tactical and mechanical explanations for the result. The video clip is very illustrative of these relationships.

No, .

I’m certain that Charlie mentioned the precise max velocities of the two races, just can’t remember the exact numbers, and that Ben reached higher maxV in Rome due to a longer more gradual acceleration.

As for the explanations of the result between Surin and Greene, I agree in full with your points regarding the last portion of the race; however, I don’t think it can be said for certain that Surin’s acceleration was better solely due to head/cervical spine position. The dynamics of the 100m suggest that the impact of subtle alternations in mechanics are proportional to the velocity (ergo, whatever room exists for ‘less than optimal’ early in the race surely poses infinitely more hazard during the later stages)

Greene stumbled at the start of this race, which is why he had to play catch-up with Surin.

It was clear that he stumbled, even mentioned it after the race. Watch the quarterfinal heat that they were both in and you will see a much smoother acceleration from Greene who led the entire way.

Ben Johnson 1988 OG

Reaction 0.132
10m 1.70
20m 1.04
30m 0.89
40m 0.90
50m 0.84
60m 0.83
70m 0.84
80m 0.85
90m 0.87
100m 0.90
Results 9.79

Ben Johnson 1987 WC

Reaction 0.129
10m 1.71
20m 1.02
30m 0.94
40m 0.87
50m 0.86
60m 0.85
70m 0.85
80m 0.87
90m 0.86
100m 0.87
Result 9.83

Charlie had never stated that the Rome race had a higher velocity. It was the 1987 Zurich race where Ben’s blocks slipped at the start and he had to make up the distance on the field with a huge surge. The 10m split was the same as Seoul (0.83 seconds - 12.1 m/s average over 10m), but Charlie believed the instantaneous velocity was higher in Zurich vs Seoul.

With regard to the spine position, I didn’t say the race was a result of spine position. Rather, the head position was more less an indicator. When Bruny panicked in the latter half of the race, he began to push more with his stride (both with his arms and legs) resulting in the head rearing up and back. Much of this was supported by my discussions with Charlie, as well as a number of others (other athletes in Bruny’s training group, physical therapists, etc.). Sadly enough, I was coaching athletes at the meet in 2000 where Bruny pulled his hamstring (Canadian Olympic trials) and ruined his chances of challenging Mo at the 2000 Olympics.

When I was with Charlie in LA in 2001 for a seminar, we discussed the use of the “tucked head” position by many of the HSI runners at the time (Mo, Ato, Drummond) because many had attributed their success to this technique. I asked him if it was of any value in the start/acceleration phase. He said no and wrote it off as something that was unique to their group, but didn’t have any positive impact on their starts. He may have used the word “horse-shit” as he often did, but I don’t remember the exact comment he had. Charlie didn’t hold back… if he thought it was horse-shit, he let it be known. But I believe the tucked head technique was popularized by the HSI group and copied by Trevor Graham and many others.

Yes - hopefully, the false start rule it. Lol. It’s setting up to be a great 100m final in Daegu.

I think Lemaitre is more confident this year that he was in the Paris 2010 race. Watching him run that 200m in Paris against Bolt, the guy has a heart of a lion… He runs like a mad man… Like a man out to prove something. I think he will be in that 100m final in Daegu. If he doesn’t medal, I think, it will be because of the toll of the rounds.

I brought up spinal alignment. When Greene stumbled his butt got behind his footplant and his start consisted of a pull/push instead if a push/push as was his way. The exaggerated head drop was the start to a different technique to that Carl and Ben were using. Usain is the best tactition of the new technique I have seen on the international scene yet. The body weight is forward of the footplant and the way to achieve it is through spinal alignment. All things being equal Charlies programming was and possible still is unmatched.

I stand corrected, I was confusing the Rome race with Zurich and now that you mention the block incident it registers.

I will try to post a link to a video of the Zurich race. It was impressive despite the final time.