Gatlin targets Bolt, Gay

RALEIGH, North Carolina – Justin Gatlin, who lived a few days of his life in 2006 as ‘world record holder’ for the 100 meters and was later banned for four years, is now targeting Usain Bolt and Tyson Gay.

Gatlin was given a world record time of 9.76, which turned out to be an error. The time was adjusted to 9.77 for the joint world record with Jamaican Asafa Powell. This time was also erased from the books a few months later with his positive test.

He is eligible to compete on July 25 and according to his comments, his immediate focus will be on Bolt and Gay.

“I could beat them before. I don’t see why I can’t run with them now,” Gatlin was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

Bolt, the double world record holder in the shorter sprints, with times of 9.58 and 19.19 and Tyson Gay whose 100m personal best is 9.69 and who is the second fastest man ever, are the dominant forces in world sprinting.

Gatlin, who has personal bests of 9.85 in the 100m and 19.86 in the 200m and who believes he will be back in the picture, says, “Times don’t scare me…,” he however quickly added, “You’ve got to respect the times, they are fast times … but I feel that if one man can do it, then the next man can do it as well.”

Gatlin is also the 2004 Olympic 100 meters champion and the 200 meters bronze medalist.

However, it is not clear as to when and where Gatlin, winner of the 2005 Helsinki World Championships sprint double will face Bolt or Gay, since most top European meet organizers are against inviting athletes who are returning after long doping bans, to participate in their meets.

Yes :slight_smile: I always liked Gatlin because he has balls and can/could back it up. Hopefully his words have meaning and he doesn’t come out and run 10.3.

I think gatlin is able to run 9.8 something again. However, these times aren’t same like used to be… :slight_smile:

Dillusional. lol Unless he has been running at meets under another name during his ban I doubt he wil be able to run with the powell, gay or bolt.

Gatlin is a natural 10.00/ 10.1 sprinter always has been

This is a topic that is banned here - precisely because it leads to this type of speculation implying that you - or anyone for that matter, has any idea what everyone else is doing.
You’ve been warned.

Gatin will be 28 years old in a month. I do not think he has been seriously training in the last 4 years, which means he certainly won’t be back into form in 2010. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the final of 2011 WC, but he’ll probably need to knock a tenth off his 9.77 to have a chance of winning. I don’t see this happening.

Regardless if he can beat gay or not, could he at least make a living off running times like this?

Anyone?

lolz at gatlin’s comments

HE can always go back to being a hurdler

I’d make a reality show out of it…countdown to first race:)

That would be a great idea!

that’s an interesting thought.

Yea dwight thomas made a successful re-transition.