foul foul foul...

I have something similar to yours, whenever I look at the board on the approach I foul, whenever I don´t look at it I get good jumps.
Looking at the board also screws the penultimate mechanics completely. I even foul the same way while triple jumping.

What´s really interesting is that I sometimes swear i fouled but in fact i didn´t. Looking at the board and thinking about fouling also disconcentrates you a lot from the actual jumping.

Luckly I never look at the board. Just look forwards, as while running on the track, perhaps use the peripheral view to see the board but never look at it directly.

Don’t look. There’s a good chance that if you’ve achieved proper posture during your approach, you can lose it with a look.

thanks all…i got some other athletes perspectives on it and that along with my coaches thoughts have helped me out…hopefully ill get it a bit more right today in practice and in comp thurs…

Or basketball dribbling glasses. Ha!

I forgot, if you look at the table / ground your body naturally leans forward screwing your take off mechanics.

Look at the board, not doing so is ignorant. A lot of research has been produced to indicate the need for a steering mechanism…see Hay, Dapena etc

Stop reaching?

Look at the board, not doing so is ignorant. A lot of research has been produced to indicate the need for a steering mechanism…see Hay, Dapena etc

Stop reaching?

Hey One, Crazyhops is a good guy, don’t sabotage him. The number of jumpers who have benefitted by “steering” is infinitesimal compared to the number who have been harmed by it.

I am not subotaging crazyhops…I honestly believe he should look at the board. The reason he fouls is because he likes to reach at the board…so he can pull…frankly he is sabotaging himself.

ummm…well, the steering thing didnt work for a uk nationals…

but the wind messed me up big time as well…if i cant do it indoors, adding some wind obviously killed me…

but in terms of the reaching…i dont call it reaching…a good take off needs the foot out in front…

just look at rutherfords best jump 8.20, his foot was way out in front, same goes for the other god jumpers who are slower than greg…

its just about learning how to get a good take off, on the board…

One, sounds like he knows me or something?

free leg free leg

For me it´s like sprinting, you focus on the limb moving forward.

I have been noticing that take off angle and maximum height seem to be determined by free leg swing at take off.

Btw, have you worked with your arms?

I did something interesting at home, standing on a mechanical wage, whenever I move my arms like in long jumping (jump leg arm forward like running and free leg arm backwards extended swing) the weight indicator moves first upwards. This is proportional to swing force, so the faster the swing and the greater the amplitude of the swing (specially the extended arm of the free leg) the greater the vertical force applied to the ground.

free leg free leg

I have been noticing that take off angle and maximum height seem to be determined by free leg swing at take off.

I did something interesting at home, standing on a mechanical wage, whenever I move my arms like in long jumping (jump leg arm forward like running and free leg arm backwards extended swing) the weight indicator moves first upwards. This is proportional to swing force, so the faster the swing and the greater the amplitude of the swing (specially the extended arm of the free leg) the greater the vertical force applied to the ground.

free leg free leg

free leg free leg

free leg free leg

well, today was a good session. I guess most good jumpers can stop looking at the board at around 5 strides to it, but not me…today i kept my eyes on the board until 1 stride before take off and it worked…i judged right and didnt foul and had good take offs…maybe that will work now…takes alot of dicipline though…

Sorry to belabor the point, but reaching will have nothing to do with fouling if the reaching is consistent from jump to jump. An experienced jumper will know the relationship between his run-throughs and his real run-ups.
Reaching does not cause steering, but steering can cause overreaching. It’s a perceptual thing.

Maybe I shouldn’t promote another site, but there is wonderful discussion of take-off mechanics on elitetrack.com.