Football 40 times

what would be proper technique in the 40 yd dash, what would one want to look for? also how would technique change when from a standing start?

whatever thats why i dont play football

If you are interested, Joe DeFranco covers the 40 alot in his video about combine tests and how to prepare for them. You can buy it from his website or www.elitefts.com

Dignified response. Did you get that from the movie “Clueless” or “The OC”. So you don’t play but you feel comfortable enough to criticize it? And I guess you haven’t taken the SAT either.

“speed kills” I understand that you can’t use personal experience alone as a replacement for scientific evidence, in fact I never in my post adovcated that, like i said my one expereince does not account for all the possibilities in the world. BUT on the flip side you would have to agree that personal experience whether it is me comparing myself to my once team mate or you discussing the results at last years combine have a place. Scientific evidence is fantatstic but reall world expereince either observed or expereinced can be used as a tool in evaluating and applying said evidence.

I understadn and agree with your point on trainign for the 40 if you are a stud college player attending a pro combine, obviously you are not gonna train just for the 40 all year round. Many of these players work with a coach for a short period of time to get them ready specificaly for the combine, which is fine his job is to get his athlete rerady to run a fast 40 and inturn have a higher draft pos. get more $$$. Thats great and there is a place for that.

My point is that ther are hundreds and even thousands of high school players, new colege players that want to be in the pos. of atrtending a pro combine, but before they can get there they need to be better football players. This is where I think we may disagree, in this instance it is not ONLY the sport coaches responsibility for direct football improvment it is evryones responsibility the players the sport coach and the strength and conditioning coach. It is great if this guy can run a fast 40 BUT thats all you worked on and he has poor agility poor fitness, o.k strength but can’t have optimal on field performance because his trainign was incomplete.

See the guy going to the combine is in the minority, he is already a developed player and athlete. I just feel that it is wrong to let young players think all they need to do is run a fast 40 there is so much more to the development of athleticism than a fast 40 yeah it is important but if the athlete works on other aspects as well as speed his 40 time will come. Liek “football coach” said he doesn;t care what the 40 is and after the 1st practice of the guy si good enough no one else will care ethier. I guess comparing the training needs of the college guy goign to the combine VS the high school or 1st year college guy is liek comparign apples and oranges eh?

Agreed. We are arguing on entirely different issues. I’ve never even advocated the forty here all I said was if someone needs it to help their place with a coach or scout you have to train it. I’d never take that approach in an athletes preparation. And I never said the forty makes a football player. I also never said a strength coach doesn’t improve a football player, I said DIRECT football improvement can only be done with the football coach because there ain’t no damn footballs in the weight room. True integration occurs on the field itself.

TWO WORDS: DEION SANDERS

Mr. Primetime wasn’t the best cornerback in the NFL bc he was the best skilled player; rather, he was the best bc he was the fastest man in the NFL. Neion Deion could catch up to anybody even if he fell behind a WR and he would always play man to man. Deion never trained in track or weightlifting bc he didn’t have to; however

a: if he did he would have been faster
b: Only 1% of the players in the NFL have his speed or close to it.

Therefore, our member Speedkills the person who’s post is just above mine says it all SPEEDKILLS.

And If you don’t believe me look at Tim Brown, Michael Haynes, Bob Hayes, Tim Dwight, and numemerous other track stars converted to either special teams, WR, or Cornerbacks.

There is a reason for the the timing of the 40 and think about this: All of these positions I’ve just mention do have routes that involve them going pretty much straight for 40 yards or very slight deviation thereof.

40 in my opinion is not overated when you look at improving yourself to be the best. I don’t know many WR who run a 5.5 40yards.

Having a fast forty definetly won’t make you a worse football player!! :smiley:

since the 40 will be tested at the combine in indianapolis, where every nfl coach, scout, and general manager will be watching, since there are many speed guru’s popping up everywhere to train aspiring athletes to improve their 40 time, since pro scouts and coaches come out by the droves to see these college guys run on pro days all over the country, and since mel kiper (who is he anyway?) rates players by their speed, using the 40 as the standard, well, it seems that the 40 must be reckoned with. so let’s talk about the how to specifically train for it so that we can help these guys get a better look.

Joe Defranco has a 40 page manual on the subject. :slight_smile: