Focus on hip dominant lifts?

Can you expand on this please, my bad english don’t allow me to digest it very well… It seems that the more smarter you are the less words you are using :smiley:
You wanted to say that auxilary single leg should be used only whre there is a need? Imbalances (serious ones), platoues?

I noticed some problems with the site… I must have been thinking on “666” somewhere in back of my mind… …dark mind :cool:

That’s right- see you’re smarter than me, so you needed less words

"Single leg work with heavy weights is an injury risk. What’s the point of combining strength and balance work? I could do power cleans on a skateboard at the top of a flight of stairs… does that make my agility better?[/QUOTE]

Good job of taking the debate out of context!

EVERYONE has some type of muscle imbalance front/back or right/left. EVERYONE has some type of Mobility imbalance and EVERYONE has some type of Stability imbalance (Which can be greatly exaggerated by whats done in the weight room). The key is to see the whole picture from the coaches point of view and correct any of these first and foremost. Most athletes on this site have little or no access to any forms of recovery that are used by elite level athletes and must therefore get rid of any weak link along the chain.

Single Limb lifts can work very well for an up and coming athlete while at the same time provide a “General strengthening of the Organism”. Research has shown that a crossover does occur from the limb working to the rest of the body. But hey…enjoy being “General” and make damn sure everything else is in place and nothings been sacrificed…which will be highly unlikely.

Good job of taking the debate out of context!

EVERYONE has some type of muscle imbalance front/back or right/left. EVERYONE has some type of Mobility imbalance and EVERYONE has some type of Stability imbalance (Which can be greatly exaggerated by whats done in the weight room). The key is to see the whole picture from the coaches point of view and correct any of these first and foremost. Most athletes on this site have little or no access to any forms of recovery that are used by elite level athletes and must therefore get rid of any weak link along the chain.

Single Limb lifts can work very well for an up and coming athlete while at the same time provide a “General strengthening of the Organism”. Research has shown that a crossover does occur from the limb working to the rest of the body. But hey…enjoy being “General” and make damn sure everything else is in place and nothings been sacrificed…which will be highly unlikely.[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are saying and agree slightly. I give quite a few single leg exercises but for the dominant leg issue, it’s a lot more complex than just do Step ups, lunges and 1 leg squats. There’s still everything going on in your core and how it can stabilize the hips and everything from there. Most of the time people have issues with one tight hipflexor and the opposing glute/piriformis. These issues need to be dealt with first then retrain the body not to compensate so much then go back to the heavier lifts like the squat.

The fundamentals dvd goes into detail with that guy on the table and all his issues. You can imagine how messed up he’d be with 4 plates on his back and his right glute not firing properly.

Got to keep it as balanced as possible.

“Got to keep it as balanced as possible.”

Exactly.

Besides being able to move more weight, are there other advantages in using a trap bar here?

Your body can be kept more upright for more quad recruitment.

I guess it depends on your goals.

And how do you know you should start implenemting single leg/arm work? How do you know the disbalance is going on somewhere… Why to wait to happen, prevent it in advance by 1-2 single leg work… Altought I agree with Plook that imbalance are not solved by just doing single leg work…

I said single leg work is pointless. Big deal…

Sure you can gain strength from single limb movements. Agreed. You can do as many single arm bench presses as you want…

The point I was trying to make was more of suggestion to your own training. Performing exclusively Squats and Bench Presses will not address any of the weaknesses that I stated earlier and may very well make things worse. By incorporating both elements (single and double limb lifts) a broader or more “General” positive result will occur. There are thousands of exercises that physcial therapists use to bring athletes back from injury once the source has been identified, that involve using one limb while exaggerating the imbalance so that the athlete can actually feel whats happening and make the correction. In sports such as Track and Field, 99% of the injuries will come from an imbalance somewhere.

We have to be careful with such statements because it practically makes ‘imbalance’ mean everything. Lots of injuries are due to overstrains. Sure, that could be interpreted as an “imbalance” regarding work vs. rest… semantics!

Yeah, imbalances can and should be corrected. Single limb work isn’t an optimal means to developing strength though. They are only accessory lifts.

Agreed, but strength means nothing if everything else is negatively affected. If your squat poundage has gone up but you’ve lost mobility in your hips. Who cares! You’ve gained nothing.

Another example of the classic statement “You are only as Strong as your weakest link.”
Exactly what Duxx quoted from Alwyn Cosgrove…
As Alwyn Cosgrove stated: If you have ferrary which is able to go 300km/h, but you have bad brakes, how much will you go? 100km/h max!!! Translated to athlete situation, his CNS knows that some muscles (small ones, stabilizers) are in disbalance, so CNS will decrease its output to prevent injuries… Improve “breaks” (homoeostasis control) and it will go faster!

I think when you look at the success of various athletes who included both of the single leg and double leg training modalities it becomes obvious that both can work. There is no denying that squats will tax the CNS morso than single leg anything. What we must remember is that taxing the CNS isn’t always our main goal.

If you are having chronic soreness from the deads try rotating another exercise instead of the deads. Maybe keep your squat day the same, but every other week throw in lunges instead of deads.

You must do your best to remain consistent with the exercises you are using, but excess soreness means over stressing one component of your training too much. You don’t want that to eventually lead to an injury. Better off to listen to your body and switch it up with cleans on your deadlift day or lunges.