Engineering project

Hey folks,

I need to come up with a design modification for any “engineering” component, structure or mechanism for a college report. I was thinking of picking something that at least half intrests me so I don’t get bored to death writing the report.

I propose to modify starting blocks in some way as to reduce the chances of them slipping, as I have had plenty of blocks slip on me. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that might help me with the design? Or perhaps think of some other sports item linked to sprinting, weightlifting or other power sports that I could base my study on? I’m sick of writing reports on god-awful boring crap like photoelastic stress analysis so I thought that seeing as I have a choice on the subject matter I may as well pick something interesting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Also it would be etremelly helpful if someone could give a couple of examples where the blocks have slipped in international competition. By block slippage I mean the entire set of blocks moving on the track surface and not the individual blocks moving.
Thanks.

How about having the spikes on the blocks pointing down and back rather than just pointing down? This way they would be pushed into the track rather than scraping over it when the athlete pushes off.

Another option would simply be to make the blocks bigger and/or heavier.

Making the blocks bigger and heavier was my first thought but having the spikes both down and back is a great idea. many thanks.

Keep em coming folks.

spikes down/back would make a great difference
also - the rest of the shiny steel on the undercarrage could have a high strength stick on Sandpaper - very course

I would even consider trying out a slight bend in the rear piece with extra spikes/grip, so if does slip backwards it kicks into the ground. Kind of like them 3rd wheels on drag bikes

spikes down/back would make a great difference
also - the rest of the shiny steel on the undercarrage could have a high strength stick on Sandpaper - very course

I would even consider trying out a slight bend in the rear piece with extra spikes/grip, so if does slip backwards it kicks into the ground. Kind of like them 3rd wheels on drag bikes

COMMONWEALTH GAMES 2010: SLIP COSTS LEWIS-FRANCIS GOLD.

Original Link: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/157403/Commonwealth-Games-2010-Slip-costs-Lewis-Francis-goldCommonwealth-Games-2010-Slip-costs-Lewis-Francis-gold

As for slippage, maybe some kind of revolutionary cleat system under the blocks which clicks into the track. I suppose that would require track modification though.

Would cause problems for the 110mH and many of the outer lanes in longer races.

How about covering over the track modifications whilst other races took place?.

Maybe the IAAF could approve of just one design system with maybe a cleat front & back of the centre rail or one under each paddle.

Something as simple as this.

I’ve gotten some great info here to get me started. Thanks very much

Use sharp needle spikes. A spike will hang onto a rubber track the same as it will on a car tyre, if it isn’t sharp it will slip.