Endurance training for hockey

Much of the 400m race is at less than 95-100% of top speed but yet many forum members advocate never sprinting below 95%. Can such logic apply here?

If an athlete is fully prepared for the high intensity 15%, will that automatically prepare the athlete for the submaximal 20%? Is there a need to specifically prepare for it?

Just throwing it out there!

True GF - but over the course of 60 - 70 mins -

[Roughly …]

15% of time is spent walking
50 % of time is spent jogging
20 % of time is spent @ 75%
15 % of time is spent sprinting

[Correct the above guys if you like …]

Now the most important of those is the 15% of ones game time @ sprinting pace, which is REPEAT sprinting …

But how does one improve sprint repeatability by (as Flash said in another post) practising repeat sprints at a slower than optimal pace?

The jogging and walking will be covered in the Tempo days … how does the rest of the program look though?

I have pretty much full control of the training process, so I don’t worry too much about the thoughts of the coaches. If I can prove to them that it is an absolute energy system difference and that training long slow distance has no effect on high intensity performance, than I may perhaps shift some paradigms! A perfect example is a kid I train for cross country(5K). He ran a 1:09 half marathon at 16 yrs of age. I worked on his speed and the kid was wasted for 3-4 days straight. Nervous system could not handle the overload from the usual training. He went from running 29 sec 200’s to consistent 24-25 200’s. Not fast for a sprinter, but impressive for a long distance kid.

sorry I disappeared.

I’d use the 400’s once a week. Basically, I’d pick one day a week to really challenge the athlete’s energy systems. 400’s are great for this purpose, being more specific to hockey.

I’m not saying that speed, agility and training short intermittent bursts wouldn’t be valuable. I pretty much agree with what everyone said.

I do think that a hockey player could be prepared for the season without 400’s. I think that in a properly periodized plan 400’s are very valuable.

I’ll go dig up some more info later.

Sample prog for a team-type game - hockey, soccer etc.

There wil be probably be 2-3 speed/cns days 2 Tempo and one game day.

1st speed day - specfic speed < 80m
Tempo
2nd speed day - Agility speed
Tempo
3rd speed day - Speed End 30< x <150m

Comments …

There is no speed endurance requirements for most team sports, so why train it? Speed Repeatibility is, however, a limiting factor. IMO, a session of something like 30-60m turnabouts would be far more benifical on the 3rd speed day.

Btw inclusion of tempo very important. Volume of tempo could be stretched out to 3000m/ session.

Mr. Francis:

Could you please direct us to any of your thoughts and/or programson hockey…I saw your post in the hockey thread and agree that the sport suffers from a primitive approach to training…Hockey is one of the most challenging anaerobic/sprint sports period with 3/1 rest- work- ratio…all in an unstable environment…