End of US bobsleigh?

Are there going to be pushers retiring as well for the U.S. team.It seems that lots of athletes call it quits after an olympics. Why did Garret Hine not get to push

probably hines was not chosen on the time trials they made the previous days…I’m waiting for the news at 11:)

eroszag, the US had a time trial the day before the race to determine who would be the brakeman on their sleds? Please tell me this is a joke? I saw Randy Jones in the opening ceremonies. Was he there as an athlete or a coach? Both he and Hines will be 37 y.o. this year. This is what I mean when I write of the indifference of the USBSF. Maybe the USBSF threw them a bone. But…

Certainly in the US of freakin’ A we can find two faster athletes than two 36 year old war-horses!

Not sureThomas, but there is always a reserve,…during wolrd cup it happens to try others, at the olympics I’m not sure of how many practice they had…
Hope the US have better results next year…
Bobsled is so freaking exciting, that with more “advertising” I’m sure can attract great athletes both in the Us and here in italy…
as a side note…during the live telecast on the italian nationla tv, Tosini, Italy II driver, used a interview to make some “recruitment”:with an audience of millions he invited all the speed power guys from track, rugby weightlifting to have a try at bobsled…Good AD!

its all about the driver/pilot. They pick and choose the athlete “they” think can help them win. Its not all about who is the best athlete. The biggest guy isnt always the fastest pusher…

Example…at the push trials, out of the top 10 pushes, anywhere from 3-6 guys were under 190 lbs… and a so called veteran/expert whinned about adding 15kgs to the sled… :confused:

whats better…light fast guys pushing a heavy sled, or slower bigger guys pushing a lighter sled?

How about big, fast guys pushing a sled?

Here’s a crazy idea.

The NFL season is over for most teams at the beginning of January. Div I football for many teams is over before Christmas. How about finding 10 DB’s or RB’s to represent their country and give them a crash course in pushing a sled. Send them over for the second half of the season.

Every four years, put together the “Dream Team” of push athletes. Use the other years to develop drivers.

How much media attention do you think the sport would get if you had Brian Dawkins, Dante Hall and Shaun Alexander pushing a sled? Do you think that squad would break any start records? Fast times at the top usually mean fast times at the bottom.

Makes too much sense thats why the USBSF won’t do it. If you’ve only won two medals in 46 years wouldn’t you think there needs to be a change?

Im sure that idea has already come about. But think about this…these guys are making millions (pro athletes) playing football. These guys are not gonna give up a college career or a shot to play in the pros to come push for nothing. The sport of bobsleigh doesnt pay the bills…you definitely have to find more ways of making money.

On the other hand, its a clique too…you gotta have things in common with the driver and other athletes if you want a chance to make someones team…thats the sad part…

With training, you can train some guys to push a sled fast…but u also gotta think about this…these so called big and fast guys gotta be able to get in the sled…with precision…

yeah, a change needs to be made, but until you can get some money into the sport, the athletes are gonna go where the money is…

Lo Hill, I know what you mean about the money. But compare it to the NBA, NHL, tennis pros, pro cyclists. All of these athletes “volunteer” to be in the games. Maybe this could be a chance for NFL players to have a crack at a gold medal. The USBSF could spin it that way.

“In the fall I hit my opponent, but in the winter I hit a sled.” Or something like that.

Tom

Or recruit guys who barely missed the NFL, or got cut. Then you have motivated guys who are hungry for some success.

They do have guys who have barely missed the NFl or competed on a big time stage look at the current guys and their past resumes or athletic experience. There is 1 guy who played football for Nebraska another was a top track guy. Also keep in mind if you are a great at footbal and or track this does not always translate into pushing a sled fast. Case in point I know in Canada we have had guys come out who have plyed in the CFL or ran track at the national level were amazing athletes and have come out and not pushed fast for some reason. I have no clue why they possesed all the tools, strong and fast but could not push. The same goes for skeleton we have a guy who was just come out probably is as fast or faster than some of us yet has not figured out how to translate it on to the ice.
With BOB/skel there is more than just being fast and or strong because if that were the case the strongest and fastest guys would be the best but from what I have seen this is not always the case. There is something else needed not sure what any one have any ideas?

The sam eher ein italy…oneof the top sprinters, quite muscular, ha d a dry push tryout some years ago, and the times where not that good…you need time to refine technique, plus a peculiar combination of strength speed power, a unique mix…for example, I push the sled faster than my pb would indicate, for others is the reverse…

the guys who barely missed the NFL or got cut are trying to get back into the league. They are concentrating their efforts, training, nutrition to get back. Pushing a sled is not a priority on their list. Not to mention the fact that being a bobsled guy doesnt pay the bills. So what would you put on your resume…“I almost made it to the NFL”, or “I got cut from the NFL”…

Lets say that you were cut from the NFL…what are you gonna go do?

Lo Hill I agree with you it is tough to recruit guys who are close to going to the NFL or playign some other pro sport to say hey push this heavy sled get in with this guy who is gonna drive down an icy rolloer coaster. Oh and yeah you might crash and we are not gonna pay you a dime unless you are one of the best in the world… so still interested?