EMS Max Strength Journal

Rich, good point. The doctor who gave me a second opinion initially told me that he’s confident that I don’t have it. This upcoming week, I’m going to get the second MRI to officially confirm it though.

I only asked because I went through something similar…and the more doctors that I seen, the more differing opinions…

Did you wind up having the disease? What were your results?

I didn’t mean I had the same disease, just a medical condition that almost each doctor I seen gave me a different opinion…after 3 surgeries and multiple neck injections, it was found the main problem was elsewhere.

ku2u-next time you go to squat, before squatting, do a partner stretch for the hip flexors lying on the table and start off VERY easy and over the course of about 10 minutes, progress to a significant stretch-both pushing the leg down and get your partner to put you in knee flexion (this is 10 min each leg). Relaxation and breathing are key throughout. Rest a couple of minutes and then go and squat under the same conditions as you have before and report back. Look forward to your feedback.

Make sure your partner is competent…i.e he doesn’t hyperextend your lower back.

Thanks for the suggestion Gymrob, I’ll probably have to pay someone to spend 20min stretching me lol. Rich, I’ll be very aware of any Doctor’s opinion.

Monday, 4.8.13.
Narrow stance Goblet Squat - 2 x 10, 40lbs. Almost zero pinching.
Deep SL Leg Press - 3 x 10 - 210, 190, 175
Back Hyperext - 3 x 10, BW and short ROM
ISO Lunge - 2 x 25sec
DB RDL - 3 x 10, 35lbs

Microstretching afterwards - 3 x 60sec hamstrings, glutes, psoas, adductors, spiderman lunge

This was the third microstretching session. I can’t tell if I’m seeing any results or not but I believe I need to breathe and relax more for this stuff to work better. I had a pain-free session today, but I still feel real unbalanced between my right and left leg. My right (good) side is a lot tighter still after the massage work I had on Saturday. It’s my glute medius, tfl, and QL that feel restricted. My next massage session is Thursday for an hour and I hope to get closer to solving this issue.

Ku2U#1
I know this sounds like a broken record comment coming from me but why don’t you try some routine hydrotherapy? The thing about water therapy is the body gets systemic treatment. You take the guess work out of your issues or problems. Everything is subject to judgement. When you get in the water and use water for treatment no one does the guessing… Over time ( and usually the results are positive and timely) it’s noticeable.
I had routine massages almost daily by someone more knowledgeable than most. ( no kidding right? ) When the message could not fix it all, I always found significant improvement with hot and colds. Try it. I dare you.:wink:

Ange, it’s always great to hear your opinion on your life as a high level athlete so you sound far from a broken record lol. I have not been doing water therapy or hot/cold showers mostly because cold water seems to make my sinus issues worse especially at this time of the year. From what you’re saying though it sounds like I’m missing out on too many benefits and need to get back to doing them and will start doing those today. I’m going to do whatever it takes to train hard again, thank you for your post.

Tuesday, 4.9.13
-Final day of my internship and had no time to train because we were out eating sushi all day. I did manage to come home and do a session of micro-stretching and took Angela’s contrast shower recommendation. I did 4 cycles of 3min in a hot shower/1min in the pool outside and I feel better already.

Wednesday, 4.10.13
-Went up to Dallas today and the 2nd opinion orthopaedist told me to start gradually work my way back into training. He thinks it’s a muscular problem that’s causing impingement like symptoms in my left hip and that I’m going to have to get very flexible to avoid this.

Goblet Squat - 3 x 10, 50lb DB
Reverse Lunge - 3 x 10, 40lb DBs
RDL - 4 x 10, 95lbs
-microstretching session afterwards

Very minor pinching in the squats today and none in the RDLs. I feel like I’m on the right path… I probably won’t train tomorrow because I have an hour long deep tissue massage but I do plan on doing some block snatch/clean work next week.

Friday, 4.12.13

Block Power Snatch - 6 x 3, worked up to 60kgs
Tried out other exercises:
Back Squat - still have pain/pinching sensation in left hip
Front Squat - no pain, but felt stiffness in hip
Deadlift - no pain but feel like I struggle to stay in alignment. (torso favors to twist to the right)
Jerk - no pain

Had someone film my squat from the posterior view and I notice my left hip and knee is higher than my right hip and knee when I decend to parallel or lower.

Monday, 4.15.13
Reverse Lunge from deficit - 4 x 10, 60lb DBs
GHR - 3 x 5, 3-0-3 tempo
ISO Lunge - 3 x 30sec
Side Plank - 60sec/side

Decent day today, I’m thankful to still be able to do single leg exercises with no pain. I feel like I’m still not ready to do bilateral work (squats, deadlifts, OLs) yet as something is still and still can’t figure out what’s causing me to be so imbalanced. I know I wasn’t like this when I was at my best a year ago. I’m getting some more massage/flexibility work tomorrow and will try to get my obliques, QL, and lats worked on.

Well, I thought things were heading in the right direction but I actually was going in circles again thinking that I was going to slowly work my way back into normal training. I started doing real easy squats a couple of weeks ago and sure enough all of the symptoms came back. Good news is that I’ve finally found out what’s causing my pain. I’ve recently had two MRIs and come to find out, I’ve been diagnosed with Femeroacetabulur impingement syndrome (FAI) and a hip labral tear, an injury that I knew I had for years now… These doctors, they just can’t listen to their patients…

I’ve only received the results from one of the MRIs (done without contrast) and it still says that there’s a chance that I do have early avascular necrosis. But there’s also a chance that it’s confused with bone marrow edema, which is caused by repeated trauma to the joint. Whatever this issue may be, it’s not the reason why I can’t move like a normal person. The reason why I can’t move properly is simply because I have a hip impingement. My orthopaedic doctor (the guy who’s my second opinion) told me that I’m a candidate for a hip arthroscopy. I haven’t met with the surgeon yet, but from my own research it will probably take me 4-6 months to get back into sports from this surgery. It’s been 11 months since I’ve been able to train without the unbearable pain in my left hip and it will be 17-18 months until I will be back. That’s a lot of precious training time lost especially when at age 22, but there’s nothing I could have done about it.

I spoke with Giovanni Ciriani over the phone this week and learned that I could have been using EMS MaxS to my advantage this entire time while I’m injured. A huge mistake on my part and I will start using it again to complement my limited voluntary training. My journal will be quite boring, but I’m going to start logging my training here consistently to see how much of an impact EMS can help with my recovery after surgery.

Monday, 4.29.13
HRV - 68, HR - 86.1
-No training because I had a hip arthrogram aka MRI with contrast. They stick a needle deep down in the hip and inject dye to determine if there’s a labral tear or not. It left me sore to where I could barely walk out of the facility.

Tuesday, 4. 30.13
HRV - 75.7, HR - 84.0
Bench - 185 x 10, 170 x 10, 155 x 10
Neutral Grip Pull-ups - 5 x 5, bodyweight

MaxS EMS - Speedcoach level 1 setting:
Hamstrings - worked up to 24
Glutes - worked up to 44

No quads stim because I was still very sore from the MRI yesterday. As recommended by Giovanni, I’ve started using the speedcoach program. My goal yesterday was to get some hard contractions, not maximal contractions. With the upperbody work, it was real light as I haven’t done any upperbody in a month, another training mistake…

Wednesday, 5.1.13
HRV - 77.7, HR - 77.6
Bulgarian Split Squat from deficit - 4 x 10, 55lb DBs
Active recovery EMS - 10min on quads, glutes, hamstrings.

My left hip was still a little sore from the MRI, but I was able to train with no pain. Those bulgarian split squats nearly killed me though and it was probably a little too much to do. My legs are not as near as sore as I thought they would be. With the cheaper unit I used to have, I used to experience soreness like no other!

Thursday, 5.2.13
HRV - 72.9, HR - 86.1
Bench - 3 x 10 w/ 170lbs
Neutral Grip Pullup - 5 x 5

MaxS EMS - Speedcoach level 1
Quads - worked up to 44
Hamstrings - worked up to 22
Glutes - worked up to 42

I did the quad stimulation a bit different today as I put my legs into a leg extension machine (at home) while doing the contractions. This gave the quads a stimulation from a stretched position. Again, I wasn’t trying to work up to a maximal contraction, just a hard contraction. My upperbody was still a bit sore from Tuesday as expected but not too bad. I’m really enjoying the EMS sessions so far, the biggest issue that I face is making sure the pads are placed symmetrically.

EDIT - also going to start logging in my Heart rate variability (HRV) data, even though it’s somewhat pointless doing this with limited training. My average baseline number the past 4 months I’ve been using it is 74 I think.

Friday, 5.3.13
HRV - 78.4, HR - 81.9
Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 10, 53lbs
DB RDL - 3 x 15, 53lbs
ISO Lunge - 2 x 30sec

EMS Active Recovery, 10min each muscle group
Quads - 14
Hams - 14
Glutes - 37

How are you measuring HRV? Are you using ithlete or a different device? Also, what position are you doing the test?

CLIMBON, I use the Ithlete and take the measurement from a standing position like it recommends. I also take it within 1-5min after waking. This explains why my heart rate numbers are a bit high. I may consider taking it from a lying position because I doubt my resting heart rate is below 55. I think the standing position is meant for resting heart rate is below 50 or something.

OK. I was wondering why the HR numbers were so high. I would recommend doing it lying down or at least in sitting. I think it gives a more accurate measure for those of us who are not endurance athletes with extremely low resting HR. I would think that most people who follow the CF’s principles would be in the 50’s to low 60’s (supine or seated) simply because of the low intensity/general conditioning work.

I agree, it’s probably a more consistently accurate way to measure it. I’ll definitely switch tomorrow as I’ve been considering doing this for a while.

Did any of the health professional that treated you like at your joints? Did they rule out spine and pelvis? Did they check to see how the hip, knee and ankle joints moved on both sides for comparison? Or did they only perform soft tissue work?

Ya all of the health professionals compared my left hip to my right, made sure it wasn’t a pelvic or spinal problem, etc. The movement that I’ve always been missing in my left hip is hip flexion and internal rotation. I had a lumbar microdiscectomy 5 years ago and I believe that this missing hip ROM (and ridiculously tight hamstrings) might have caused this injury. I did get soft tissue work but it didn’t do much good.

Did they do any joint mobilizations or was it all soft tissue work? My guess with everything you have said is that there is a joint issue that led to muscular/soft tissue issues due to compensation. If that is the case, soft tissue work will not correct the problem because it never gets to the source. If the issue does turn out to avascular necrosis, there really is much therapists can do for that.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to change to a seated position when doing the Ithlete HRV test. The test is designed specifically to be done standing while breathing, I believe in order to better see the differences in variability. I would carefully read the Ithlete manual before making a change such as doing the test seated. Heart rate usually spikes by at least 10 BPM once you stand, and this is accounted for as part of the Ithlete test. Taking the test seated may create an altered reading, so again I would carefully read over the manual.